Crime CERN Scientist: "Physics Built By Men - Not By Invitation" [He's Gone and Einstein's Right...Again.]

I don't think Maxwell registers amongst Einstein, Bohr, and Turing, not even including more famous scientists in Da Vinci and Galileo.

And I don't think any of those guys are on Newton's level. Newton's work is essentially the foundation for the physical world.

women still don't have someone with the intellectual weight of people like Isaac Newton, for example. doesn't mean they won't one day, pretty soon i imagine.
saying that physics is built by men isn't factually wrong, but it's not something one can say in this day and age without getting a lot of people screaming. and it also does not imply women's contribution to physics from now on won't be great or even determine the great new discoveries one day.

True but I'll still say it 'cause FACTS will always trump(no pun intended) EMOTION and PC bullshit no matter how much screaming the hyena-gallery gets. o_O

Physics WERE BUILT BY MEN, PERIOD.

Now what we can also say is that Women can help IMPROVE Physics(which is not wrong) these days since they're getting that opportunity. :)

JCM's primary work on electromagnetism ultimately underpins virtually all electric, radio and optical technologies and ushered in modern theoretical physics; he was also responsible for taking the world's first color photograph, laying the foundation of control theory and cybernetics, introducing statistical methods into physics, conducting the first effective scientific thought experiment (Maxwell's demon), showing how polarized light can be used to reveal strain patterns in a structure and was the first to suggest using a centrifuge to separate gases. He died at 48.

So you want to be somebody in this world...

I don't think Maxwell registers amongst Einstein, Bohr, and Turing, not even including more famous scientists in Da Vinci and Galileo.

You sure about that? The three great movements in physics history have been mechanics (forces, masses, and accelerations), electromagnetism (fields, charges and potentials) and quantum mechanics (propagating waves of probability). Maxwell essentially laid the foundation of the second, so it's very difficult to see how he could rate any less than among the top three or four at the very worst, and probably among all scientists and across all fields at that.

What did Bohr achieve that would see him above someone like JJ Thomson without an argument? Sorry @Prutfis. QM had at least a dozen principle founders and the original iterations were indepedently worked out mainly by Heisenberg and Schrödinger, really. I don't see how Turing is in the discussion here, nevermind Da Vinci. They're both among the greatest LGBTers ever though.

"If the idea of physical reality had ceased to be purely atomic, it still remained for the time being purely mechanistic; people still tried to explain all events as the motion of inert masses; indeed no other way of looking at things seemed conceivable. Then came the great change, which will be associated for all time with the names of Faraday, Clerk Maxwell, and Hertz.

The lion's share in this revolution fell to Clerk Maxwell. He showed that the whole of what was then known about light and electro-magnetic phenomena was expressed in his well known double system of differential equations, in which the electric and magnetic fields appear as the dependent variables."
- Albert Einstein

"He (Maxwell) achieved greatness unequalled." - Max Planck

"Maxwell's equations have had a greater impact on human history than any ten presidents." - Carl Sagan

"From a long view of the history of mankind — seen from, say, ten thousand years from now — there can be little doubt that the most significant event of the 19th century will be judged as Maxwell's discovery of the laws of electrodynamics. The American Civil War will pale into provincial insignificance in comparison with this important scientific event of the same decade." - Richard Feynman

And I don't think any of those guys are on Newton's level. Newton's work is essentially the foundation for the physical world.

No argument there, Newton's work is essentially the foundation of modern civilization.

Re-Posted.

Last edited:
And on LIGO: You can't tell me this old cis white male didn't deserve it.

There's few living scientists in the world with a better grasp of the astrophysical and cosmological implications of General Relativity than Kip Thorne. In that sense, he's very much a successor to his doctoral advisor John Wheeler who actually collaborated with an elder Albert Einstein in his later years in America, was responsible for popularizing the term 'black hole' and also had a mind in the Manhattan Project. Only just died in 2008 at the ripe age of 96.

His work with LIGO was beyond arduous and substantial enough so it was awesome to see him rewarded, particularly due to his humility. He's also got long association with Caltech which is synonymous with JPL as it manages it for NASA and is the institution where the likes of Robert Millikan, Richard Feynman, Murray Gell-Mann, Linus Pauling studied and/or held posts.

Also penned one of the greatest popular science books ever written.

51wAKn8ZD3L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My adviser was his classmate.

Women can do physics and math without question. There aren't as many in these fields, however.

Big fan of Wheeler and his students. Great teacher. Also influenced Freeman Dyson. Dyson seems like one of his only students to really think crazy like him.

Wheeler was my colleague's adviser.

Maxwell is way up there. I'd put him ahead of Bohr.

A mixed bag. I don't think it's very fruitful to say things that women are a problem because they cry when you criticize them, that's just pushing them away. On the other hand I'm definitely against affirmative action when less merited applicants get jobs over those that are better suited. We both have problems with some people trying to exclude others, and people that work against such exclusion sometimes taking things much too far.

One should definitely encourage diversity in science since it's been shown that diverse groups can solve problems better by more easily coming with different points of view. But as said it should be in form of encouraging them to pursue science and actually become good enough, not lowering the bar.
Depends on how you say it. Here's that quote, delivered at a conference about women in science, in context:
It’s strange that such a chauvinist monster like me has been asked to speak to women scientists. Let me tell you about my trouble with girls. Three things happen when they are in the lab: you fall in love with them, they fall in love with you, and when you criticize them they cry. Perhaps we should make separate labs for boys and girls? Now seriously, I’m impressed by the economic development of Korea. And women scientists played, without doubt, an important role in it. Science needs women and you should do science despite all the obstacles, and despite monsters like me.
Given the added context, do you think the comment was malicious or facetious?

*Read The Damn Thread Before Throwing Shade At Me, Goofballs*

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45703700

A senior scientist has given what has been described as a "highly offensive" presentation about the role of women in physics, the BBC has learned.
Yeah, I saw that story earlier this week in my news feed. This is the sort of thing that male physicists might think but certainly not voice in a public forum. As I skimmed the article (not the one you linked to) I started getting the feeling that the guy is a sore loser and probably not very good at what he does. So I stopped reading as soon as I detected what I thought were sour grapes.

I think the large gender disparity in skill is extremely obvious if you are a physicist, and just knowing that is probably enough for male physicists to just keep quiet.

"The first process therefore in the effectual study of the sciences must be one of simplification and reduction of results of previous investigations to a form in which the mind can grasp them. The results of this simplification may take the form of a purely mathematical model or a physical hypothesis.

In the first case we entirely lose sight of the phenomena to be explained; and though we may trace out the consequences of given laws, we can never obtain more extended views of the connections of the subject. If on the otherhand, we adopt a physical hypothesis, we see the phenomena only through a medium, and are liable to that blindness to facts and rashness in assumption which a partial explanation encourages.

We must therefore discover some method of investigation that allows the mind at every step to lay hold of a clear physical conception, without being committed to any theory founded on the physical science from which that conception is borrowed, so that it is neither drawn aside from the subject in pursuit of analytical subtleties, nor carried beyond the truth by a favourite hypothesis.

In order to obtain physical ideas without a physical theory we must make ourselves familiar with the existence of physical analogies. By physical analogy I mean that partial similarity between the laws of one science and those of another which makes each of them illustrate the other."

James_Clerk_Maxwell_sitting-56b0088a5f9b58b7d01f9d83.jpg

BARZ.

And people slagging him off ITT, @KnightTemplar. :rolleyes:

Nice post. Just not sure why you tagged me in it, bro. This is my first post ITT.

Understood. it's just that, at first glance, it read like you thought I was slagging him off.

Nah, I was referring to posters placing people like Alan Turing, Niels Bohr and Leonardo Da Vinci over him. It's unbelievable to me how underrated and basically unknown he is to the larger public. The same goes for his elder collaborator Michael Faraday who was nothing short of the greatest experimentalist that ever lived.

The coolest thing about Faraday is that he came from shit and didn't even receive a formal education, yet discovered the principle that serves as the foundation for all practical use of electric power regardless of energy source being used. If that isn't enough, he invented the first forms of the electric motor, generator and transformer and then turned down a knighthood a century-plus before it became popular to do so and told the British government to go fuck themselves when they wanted assistance into research into chemical weapons (he was a highly accomplished chemist as well).

Nah, I was referring to posters placing people like Alan Turing, Niels Bohr and Leonardo Da Vinci over him. It's unbelievable to me how underrated and basically unknown he is to the larger public. The same goes for his elder collaborator Michael Faraday who was nothing short of the greatest experimentalist that ever lived.

The coolest thing about Faraday is that he came from shit and didn't even receive a formal education, yet discovered the principle that serves as the foundation for all practical use of electric power regardless of energy source being used. If that isn't enough, he invented the first forms of the electric motor, generator and transformer and then turned down a knighthood a century-plus before it became popular to do so and told the British government to go fuck themselves when they wanted assistance into research into chemical weapons (he was a highly accomplished chemist as well).

Are you calling out scientists like they're MMA fighters? Lol
Like one is overrated over the other?
Jesus.
And I mean Jesus as in you're a moron for doing that and Jesus as in being the living embodiment of God is a better scientist.

Pretty excited for that atheist hate reply I know is coming.

Are you calling out scientists like they're MMA fighters? Lol
Like one is overrated over the other?
Jesus.
And I mean Jesus as in you're a moron for doing that and Jesus as in being the living embodiment of God is a better scientist.

Pretty excited for that atheist hate reply I know is coming.

Not really, there's a reason the conversation was pushed in that direction and it's honestly not all that difficult to follow. :confused:

Not really, there's a reason the conversation was pushed in that direction and it's honestly not all that difficult to follow.

Is it because you're from Scotland and the other guy you think is from Scotland that doesn't want to engage with you, thinks you're a moron/crazy person?

Back