CEO Who Raised Minimum Salary to $70k, Falls On Hard Times

Why wouldn't we be surprised? There are plenty of companies with high salaries that are very profitable (law firms, accounting practices, consulting, IT firms, off the top of my head).

Here is a better piece on this story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/b...klash-against-the-raise-that-roared.html?_r=0

It's hard to tell without financials and being inside the company, but it sounds like a lawsuit, loss of key employees and loss of customers had just as big if not a bigger role in causing financial stress as the raise in salary for workers.

Yeah, without seeing a P&L you can't say what happened here.

Maybe the $70,000 was just a marketing gimmick for a firm already in trouble.

How much training does it take to replace that fast food worker and how much does it take to replace the paramedic?

What should the paramedic's reward be for the training and responsibly he now has?

Are you arguing that the paramedic should be paid more or fast food worker be paid less?

lol Jesus Christ. She got a raise, too. Unless she's getting paid a lot more somewhere else, she literally quit because the people below her weren't as poor.

Why do people work and why do they work to move up?

Because they want to get paid more as a reward for the effort they put out and the value they add.

And that comes down to how easy you can be replaced.

Everyone should make a decent wage but the only way to reward those of value that are hard to replace is by what you pay them.

If you don't value them then don't worry if they find someplace to go.

They said you don't value my talent and what I bring to the company as shown by the pay I get so I would be happier someplace else.

So should everyone be paid the same no matter the requirements of their job and what they bring to the company?

Do you think that all employees got their pay set to exactly 70,000?

I don't think you understand what the words "minimum salary" means.

She wasn't being paid the same as the bottom-rung employees. She didn't get a pay cut.

How much training does it take to replace that fast food worker and how much does it take to replace the paramedic?

What should the paramedic's reward be for the training and responsibly he now has?

Do you have a question about my post? If not, why don't you make your point? Because I don't see what the cost of training has to do with what I said (and I don't know what it costs to train paramedics).

BTW, paramedics are probably severely underpaid.

Yeah, without seeing a P&L you can't say what happened here.

Maybe the $70,000 was just a marketing gimmick for a firm already in trouble.

In the link I quoted he admitted that he wanted some good publicity. The article also stated that some customers left when they got a price increase and some left because of the political statement they made.

In other words if he didn't make it public he wouldn't have lost those customers.

Why do people work and why do they work to move up?

Because they want to get paid more as a reward for the effort they put out and the value they add.
They *were* paid more...

How are you not getting this?

And that comes down to how easy you can be replaced.

Everyone should make a decent wage but the only way to reward those of value that are hard to replace is by what you pay them.

If you don't value them then don't worry if they find someplace to go.

In what way were they not being valued?

Is their value determined as a function of how much MORE they are making than the bottom rung? Or just how much they are paid? Because if it's the latter, they have no complaint. If it's the former, both you and they are absolute a-holes.

I don't understand how the same people who defend the wealthy as "you're just envious, how much money they have doesn't affect you" will then be utterly hypocritical when the shoe is on the other foot.

In the link I quoted he admitted that he wanted some good publicity. The article also stated that some customers left when they got a price increase and some left because of the political statement they made.

In other words if he didn't make it public he wouldn't have lost those customers.

Wow. Kinda wish he's publish which companies left due to the political statement.

Wow. Kinda wish he's publish which companies left due to the political statement.

Yeah seriously. But if he published their names he would probably lose his business. What a dick thing to do, though (leave a vendor over a political statement). I'm in business and I couldn't give two fucks about my vendor's political positions.

So the only way to value them is to keep the poor people poor?

Well duh. If management doesn't make 98% of company earnings they just can't feel appreciated. When their little feelings are hurt they will go elsewhere.

Hopefully her next employer will know that she values her compensation relative to her co-workers above all else.

Do you think that all employees got their pay set to exactly 70,000?

I don't think you understand what the words "minimum salary" means.

She wasn't being paid the same as the bottom-rung employees. She didn't get a pay cut.

I do not say everyone was getting the same pay.

Do you have a question about my post? If not, why don't you make your point? Because I don't see what the cost of training has to do with what I said (and I don't know what it costs to train paramedics).

BTW, paramedics are probably severely underpaid.

My statement was about the reason the paramedics would be unset if someone that required little training and responsibility was making very near what they were.

They *were* paid more...

How are you not getting this?

In what way were they not being valued?

Is their value determined as a function of how much MORE they are making than the bottom rung? Or just how much they are paid? Because if it's the latter, they have no complaint. If it's the former, both you and they are absolute a-holes.

I don't understand how the same people who defend the wealthy as "you're just envious, how much money they have doesn't affect you" will then be utterly hypocritical when the shoe is on the other foot.

Of course it has to do with the difference a unskilled person is making and a skilled person is making.

If he had raised them all the same percentage then no one would have had a complaint (assuming they company could survive that).

My statement was about the reason the paramedics would be unset if someone that required little training and responsibility was making very near what they were.

Good that you know it's a statement rather than an argument, because that would be laughable.

So the only way to value them is to keep the poor people poor?

Well duh. If management doesn't make 98% of company earnings they just can't feel appreciated. When their little feelings are hurt they will go elsewhere.

Pay people on their value scale.

Pay the low skilled a decent wage and start your scale up form there.

Good that you know it's a statement rather than an argument, because that would be laughable.

So you don't think you should be reward for the skill and responsibly required in your job.

Why can't liberals comprehend why somone may get upset over making the same wage as someone who is (1) less educated and (2) has less experience? Moreover, why must the person who gets upset over such a policy hate poor people (which is the implication of those posts)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back