1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Celebrity chefs falling in debt and failure!

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Ogata, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Ogata Gold Belt

Man I had no idea these guys were going through such rough patches. I assumed they were famous because of their business sense and charisma.

Anyways this was eye opening:

2. ralphc1 Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Not surprising at all. There are always "high end" restaurants opening and going belly up in a few months.

3. drstrangelov Hey.

I think a true celebrity chef is someone who makes money of licensing his or her name. Since most restaurants fail, even good ones, not being on the hook for the financial success of the business in order to make money is the key way these guys prove they’ve made it.

Just being famous for being a chef doesn’t do much good until you translate that into a steady media gig, at which point the restaurant stops being the income source. At that point though you’re more just a d list celebrity who knows how to cook.

4. Kandyland Banned Banned

A Celebrity "Chef". Jesus Christ.

5. Oblivian Aging Platinum Member

A lot of well known chefs aren't making a ton of money being a chef. You'll need to open multiple restaurants and have other forms of revenue to be making true "celebrity" money. I remember a guy on Top Chef saying he made less than $40k a year.

6. Fuzzybabyducks Duck/pricechopper

He wasn’t a chef I don’t think ... he Did the water into wine thing and some things with fish and bread but that’s about it

7. HARRISON_3 Steel Belt

8. TestosterOWN ค้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ้้้้้้้้้้#O͙ͦͯͦͯ͛

Being a chef seems like a shit job. You legit bust your ass for many hours to make crap to decent pay. Like what’s the point?

9. Clear Winner Big Poppa Pars

Jamie Oliver's Barbacoa was average and overpriced. I could easily get better BBQ and bigger portions for nearly half the price. His Italian place was OK, but again, portions too small and not that great either. Both chains are failing/failed.

10. PlayswellwithLawnDarts Banned Banned

If Giada De Laurentiis needs rent money....call me Girl!

F52A990D-17C7-4F1A-9E0F-CF37A15497B5.jpeg

11. I'm Shawn Spencer Banned Banned

I saw Gordon Ramsey eating super spicey hot wings on some show just to pay his bills :(

12. Jake the Muss Black Belt

When you take into consideration the cost of the produce, supplies, equipment, wages, rent, utilities, permits, insurance, furniture, restrictive table turnover, servicing debt, taxes, etc., I never understood how restaurants were profitable unless they had a high table turnover rate like fast food restaurants and diners.

13. Magooglie Steel Belt

Sell a lot of pasta.

14. syct23 ...ElipsisBelt...

It's pronounced "Chief"...

15. Fatality Brown Belt

Probably the dumbest thing a person can be considered a celebrity for.

16. SammyPops Steel Belt

I like him, esp. his focus on healthy kids, but his iitalian place in Toronto was meh.

Bobby flay in the only celeb chef's place I really enjoyed. tbf I've been to a few but not their Michelin places so wtf do I know

17. Ogata Gold Belt

My family owns a restaurant and the biggest problem we have is a competent cook. If you hire someone who doesn't give a shit then they will send out shitty food which will tank your reputation in a hurry.

It's very important to incentives that positions so that a person who cooks has a reason to do a great job and be consistent with it.

Also it's important to have a trusted partner or family member running it as oppose to just one person and that's just for one location.

18. BEER 1312 Platinum Member

200 dollars for an entree.

The biggest problem with celebrity chefs (without watching the video; I assume that they're highlighting some scandals like the dude who didn't pay contractors for renovations) is that they aren't around. They're putting their name on food (which may very well be delicious) and charging for the celebrity. That's why people will go. It's a famous chef's restaurant.

But he has 13 restaurants and a TV show. He's not cooking shit, it costs way too much, and customers dwindle pretty quickly. Plus, the restaurant game is fickle as fuck. Most restaurants close within 5 years, and that includes great, high-end spots.

19. BayAreaGuy Good Day

I was reading about this a while ago, and I think it was either Jamie Oliver or is buisness partner (or someone like that) who said that if customers watch you on tv a lot and also buy your books, that doesn't mean they want to eat at your restaurant.

The reasoning is that customers want to diversify their tastes and eat new things. They don't want to watch you on tv and use your cook books, then eat at your resaurant. When people go out they want something new.

20. skysolo Gold Belt

Flay lost one of his restaurants because the landlord raised the rent so much that Flay would have to raise the prices too much on his food.