Celebration after injury

So would you prefer if he just stood there looking sadly after the fight? That would have been kind of awkward.

His salary just doubled with a win after months of getting ready. I'd celebrate too.

They celebrating that after months of training they didn't lose its not that big of a deal. They where working hard and probably anxious to finally get in there and not come out a loser.

These fighters hold in a whole lot of emotion, stress, nerves, mental fatigue, and endless hours of blood, sweat, and tears to fight on the main stage. They are celebrating winning via injury, they are just reacting in the moment at the the release of all of the above and tension.

If you have ever competed, especially in front of a large audience, you would have a better understanding of just how some people are when they release it.

The adrenaline rush alone can be overwhelming. Some people will shake uncontrollably as the tension is released.

The first few minutes at the end of a fight is not the time to judge a person.

Chris checked that chicken leg and thats why it snapped. Do you even watch "kickboxer" bro?

the only time I hated a victory celebration after a win was when coleman won after beating shogun, dude won by freak accident, celebrated then even roid raged on a dude with a broken arm.

People cry about just anything.

A win is a win regardless of how it ended.

So when a fighter face plants and knocks himself out should they make that a NC?

Once your opponent can't continue fighting you win, whether it was some kind of injury, KO or sub. It's not like Olivera's injury happened on it's own, it happened during that scamble. As for those saying he was already injured, well that is on him and it has nothing to do with Max.

No clue why people act like it's Max's job to act remorseful. He came there to win, which he did, and get that cash so he and his family can eat.

Some of you are trying so hard to impose your bs onto others, pretty pathetic. I'm damn sure that Max is a way better human than you the internet whiner.

At the point of the fight I am thinking "why are you celebrating to that extent", the guy stopped fighting due to injury. But the same time I am not a fighter so I dont know what it feels like to be in there and that happens emotionally at the point of the stoppage after months of training. Some guys will celebrate and some wont, it depends on the character.

if he was brazilian, sherdog would be going apeshit asking for a suspension

Agree overall, that it's weak when an opponent over-celebrates a freak injury.

However, lumping Weidman/Anderson II in there is inaccurate, and just shows a lack of understanding of what that move really is. A good check is absolutely a defensive/offensive move designed to hurt the kicker's leg. The variation that The Chris used, tilting the knee into it rather than just the shin, is called 'the destruction' in the Longo camp.

This technique does not belong lumped in with random shit like Condit's knee popping, Aloe Vera's throat, etc.

Alex Chambers is the alternate universe version of this - she ruptured her ACL celebrating a victory.

Quit being such a nancy. There was a brief moment of confusion when Oliveira stood back up and Herb hadn't stopped the fight yet. Max did the right thing by pressing forward again until Herb stepped in. He only pattered him with a couple body shots. Cry baby.

You must really hate Aldo too then

Yeah Holloway really could of put some weight behind those punches to the body, given he was opened to do so. You could tell he barely put anything into them. He knew the situation was weird, but he was also instinctively doing what he was obligated to do...which is to keep performing until the ref tells you otherwise.

Chris Weidman still didn't prove he can beat Anderson Silva without Silva beating himself.

Max didn't go overboard, neither did Weidman.

The worst I've seen was John Salter after Jason McDonald broke his ankle on a takedown (which has been brought up I just didn't get far enough in to the thread). He got up screaming and jumped up on the cage beating his chest like he was the man. Much more emphatically than Holloway or Weidman. Thankfully Dan Miller put him in his place in his next fight.

Last edited:
Is the "proper" response for those who think guys shouldn't celebrate an opponent's injury to sort of shrug like "Not how I wanted it to end, sorry." the way Dale Hartt did after Corey Hill broke his leg?

I get why Max (and others) celebrate after a victory. It is part of the relief-rush that comes from knowing you will not be hurt or killed. I'd love it if everyone had the sense of mind as Machida... but it is rare.

Back