Celebration after injury

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by blastar, Aug 24, 2015.

1. blastar

blastar Orange Belt

I absolutely hate it when a fight ends due to a freak injury and the other fighter runs around and jumps on the cage basking in victory as if he just finished his opponent. Afterwards they are like, yea, I beat him, completely by my own skills.

I hated it when Chris Weidman did his victory lap after Anderson Silva broke his leg, when Tyrone Woodley took complete credit for his win over Condit when he said he kicked his leg and that was the reason his knee gave out even though the leg he didn't kick gave out from a takedown before that and I also hated it how Holloway acted after Olivera's oeso****us tore.

These are all injuries that normally do not happen when the 2 combatants exchange techniques. They are a byproduct, not the goal on itself of whatever technique they were using. Neither fighter had the idea that these actions could lead to the injury, and when they happen, you cannot take full credit for the win, I hate that. The shin should not break after a check, the knee should not give out after a grappling exchange and the oeso****us should not somewhat randomly tear itelf apart. Those who think it is common for a shin to break after getting checked should think again. So many kicks get checked in striking arts like Kyokushin Karate and Muay Thai and a break rarely happens. If it was so common the low kick would be barely used for the implicated risks. Instead, it is a staple of many full contact striking sports.

This is nothing to take away from the winning fighter that they would otherwise have lost or something like that, but they can't say or act like they conquered their opponent in that fight. In Glory, Gokhan Saki did it right when Tyrone Sponge broke his leg on a low kick check. He didn't jump on the ropes and started celebrating. Instead he was aware of what happened and called it an unfortunate accident, which is what it is and Saki stayed classy that way.

2. sherbrosrule

sherbrosrule Booty meat is really neat. Banned

No one cares what you think. Everyone is so sensitive these days about everything.

3. Lucifer Alpha

Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe

They spend months training for a fight and are relieved that it's over. It's not worth getting upset about.

4. wilKO

wilKO Green, White & Gold belt

I agree. It's not very sporting.

5. Ashenthorn

Ashenthorn Black Belt

I'd be inclined to cut Max a break. It's his first ever main event, he was all hyped up and probably had that celebration pre planned. I think he had a brain cramp.

6. jei

jei Danger Zone Admin Staff Member Forum Administrator

There's no reason to get upset. In the moment, I doubt he knew Oliveira was injured and was just thinking "I won, it's over". He wasn't basking in Oliveira's pain or rubbing it in. He was glad it was over with and behind him.

7. Mister7

Mister7 Red Belt

Man up.

8. Toxxus

Toxxus The Ancient One

That was a huge win for Max. Big name opponent, main event and puts his win streak in a tie with Aldo.

I'd like to add that it's VERY impressive he racked up 7 wins in 2014/2015 alone.

Active fighters are the best.

9. cungfu

cungfu Purple Belt

He's only 23. Cut him some slack.

10. GordaoPreguico

GordaoPreguico Red Belt

You win you get to celebrate. Thems the breaks.

11. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

12. yougetKTFO

yougetKTFO Black Belt

Somewhat agree and somewhat disagree, don't really make much of it anyways. Checking a kick equates to sending more force back than the actual kick (and in a far worse place on the leg usually).

It's not like they thought they win with these techniques but it is an instinctual reaction and they've won the fight because of it nonetheless, haven't seen this esophogus (Sp?) tear yet so I don't even know what to make of it.

13. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

Anderson breaking his leg was caused by a defensive action by Weidman. Weidman did right by celebrating. Defernse is part of the game.

14. Bollman

Bollman Brown Belt

I don't think Max went overboard. When the reality sets in that the fight is over and that you just earned double your show money and that the months of training resulted with a success then yeah, take a minute and celebrate.

But then after it hit him that it was something serious he went back in the cage and checked on Olivera, showed sportsmanship to Oliveras corner, toned down the celebration and even discussed it on the mic wishing Olivera a speedy recovery.

I thought he handled it well.

Weidman had a right to celebrate as well. He checked the kick that snapped Andy leg. It was a perfectly executed defense strategy that earned him the victory. Good on him.

Tyron was full of shit.

15. TobikanJudan94

TobikanJudan94 Never be game over

You can see it both ways. Celebrating may be a bit of exaggeration but from a fighter's point of view they are happy it's over and that they won.

I remember when A. Silva won via injury vs Cote and he was very sad and disappointed.

16. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Titanium Belt

Dude just busted his ass for months and celebrated being successful. Fuck that guy.

17. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

TS, I'm almost scared to ask how you feel when Rousimar Palhares jacks a submission too hard for too long and the ref has to pry him off. And then Palhares does his victory lap and jumps on the fence while his opponent lies on the canvas in agony, an agony which was totally unnecessary.
    TS, how do you feel when you see this?

18. TheNinja

TheNinja Gold Belt

I totally agree on Max. The dude was thrilled he just won and won a bunch of money and moved up the rankings. He wasn't worried about Charles at that point and had no idea what happened. Once he saw Charles was hurt he did check on him and showed respect. But the dude was still happy he won and I don't blame him.

If you wanna see true caring and class though watch Saki vs Spong in Glory.

If you are lazy go to around 5:30 into the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27JIvNpp31s

19. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

Pretty much. I don't feel like reading that wall of text.

20. Taric

Taric Gold Belt

Ya'll complain about some truly irrelevant shit.