Celebrating Russian fighters: The GOAT fighting country

You're right. My bad.

No problems. Russia, Belorussia and Ukraine are basically the same countries in term of nationalities, even if they claim the opposite.

Comrade Datsik salutes this thread

ZdmgV91emseiyavMNDfaGqFHH3M6_cHKWtF4AwlJEcxXIItNpaOimUG6ceevm8ywNe_alRzm3rigaYHxUVrFCTcsvJzxkhqr01I
Legendary fighter, P4P best skills in MMA. So good, he knocked out future UFC HW champ Arlovski in his first fight (timestamped):

This guy is a total lunatic in every sense of the word. Just saw he also came back after +13 years of inactivity and fought Jerome Le Banner in a kickboxing match in 2019 (and lost by KO obviously). Who made this ridiculous matchup lol

EDIT: Here's the Le Banner fight. Datsik weighs 150KG now <6>

Last edited by a moderator:
Legendary fighter, P4P best skills in MMA. So good, he knocked out future UFC HW champ Arlovski in his first fight (timestamped):

This guy is a total lunatic in every sense of the word. Just saw he also came back after +13 years of inactivity and fought Jerome Le Banner in a kickboxing match in 2019 (and lost by KO obviously). Who made this ridiculous matchup lol

EDIT: The fight is on youtube:

His recent match, vs Tyson:

America is definitely the GOAT fighting country and it's not close: Stipe, Jones, DC, Mouse, Cruz, Cejudo, Holloway, Liddell, Franklin, Ortiz, Hughes, Penn, Shamrock, Frye, Coleman, Abbott, Couture, Barnatt, Jackson, Velasquez, Militech, Wonderboy, Kerr, Woodley, Wonderboy, Colby, Rousey, Holmes, Tate Weidman, Rockhold....even champs like Marty From Nebraska and Nunes developed into the fighters they are via living in America, or how many other hungry fighters move to the US to have access to top training, nutrition, etc. A better question would be America vs the whole world combined.

It has nothing to do with genetics, it is all about the countries value systems, and as America is the easiest place to live on the whole (good quality of living and lots of opportunity) and the most desired for many, people have more time to focus on leisurely activities like MMA vs trying to stay alive or putting food on the table wile making 1 dollar a day. Ireland, a small country, had great boxers because it was part of their heritage, where as Dagestan is big on the wrestling, but America is the overall GOAT MMA nation and certainly the capitol of MMA.

We're talking GOAT's here. Fedor is the undisputed HW GOAT. Khabib undisputed LW GOAT. Marty from Nebraska is great, but WW GOAT? You would have a hard time convincing the GSP fans.

I haven't said he is the goat WW, just that he might be in the conversation in the future. Actually, it was the guy I responded to who made that point.

Also, there is no such a thing as "undisputed" goat. That's the quintessential subjective discussion.

Meh, those caucus boys aren’t really “Russian”. There’s a reason none of them come out with the Russian flag like Petr Yan does for instance. In their hearts I don’t think they view themselves as Russian, what passport someone carries doesn’t mean a whole lot imo.

<{katwhu}>

It doesn’t matter where fighters are born the one true overall fact is that the best of the best train in the USA. We have the best camps and coaches. It’s indisputable, you may come from any corner of the globe but the vast majority of the top tier fighters hone their crafts on US soil.

also, there is no real case for Russia in particular to be known for Breeding the best in the world.... Russia pales in comparison to Brazil for instance when it comes to MMA greats and it isn’t even close.
<{cruzshake}>
USA doesn't even have a champion right now. Stipe is from Croatia bork1}

If you put in multiple pictures of Fedor, Khabib and yan it doesn’t mean theres more than three fighters you are talking about TS.

Fedor is teh GOAT, but Russia isn't GOAT fighting country. Truth is there is no GOAT fighting country, great fighters come from all over

Considering Russia is 1st in wrestling, top 3 in Judo, top 3 in MMA, top 5 in Boxing, pretty solid in kickboxing and muay thai and they have theit own Sambo shit going on. Theres a strong argument they are the GOAT fighting country. Brazil is pretty good too, BJJ is so wide spride and Luta Livre is around, they're big on Muay Thai there too and huge into MMA. US is okay too of course. Cuba is impressive for their population, really good wrestling boxing and judo.

Russia probably is GOAT fighting country.

Adesanya could also be a couple fights away from the GOAT conversation (let's say he beats Jan and JBJ in his next fights), then Nigeria would have as many ATGs as Russia.
True
Considering Russia is 1st in wrestling, top 3 in Judo, top 3 in MMA, top 5 in Boxing, pretty solid in kickboxing and muay thai and they have theit own Sambo shit going on. Theres a strong argument they are the GOAT fighting country. Brazil is pretty good too, BJJ is so wide spride and Luta Livre is around, they're big on Muay Thai there too and huge into MMA. US is okay too of course. Cuba is impressive for their population, really good wrestling boxing and judo.

Russia probably is GOAT fighting country.
I appreciate your thoughts, but I disagree. Any GOAT convo in anything in life is almost always matter of opinion. I think in fighting great fighters can come from anywhere. I don't see one country being better than any other

True

I appreciate your thoughts, but I disagree. Any GOAT convo in anything in life is almost always matter of opinion. I think in fighting great fighters can come from anywhere. I don't see one country being better than any other

I think you don't understand the point. A GOAT country doesn't mean their athletes are inherently superior but rather than they have generated the greatest amount of elite combat athletes out of any country. But GOAT conversations are not to be taken too seriously and we'd have to factor in infrastructure and resources along with popupation size to get a good assessment.

But of course grests can come from anywhere, Mongolians from the Steppes win medals in Judo and Wrestling, Samoans from small Polynesian islands become Boxing and kickboxing champions, Iranians and Dagestanis from mountain villages win the Olympics in wrestling, a ginger from England got gold in the long jump, Kenyans win marathons, Germans win world cups, Serbians and Croatians crush at tennis, Jamaicans sprint like a motherfucker, Matt Hughes and his brother pound each other behind the shed.

Fedor is the undisputed HW GOAT, Khabib is the undisputed LW GOAT. That's already goats in two weight classes for a country that has been severely underrepresented in MMA because their athletes go to other sports, as the sport popularises we will most likely see Russia owning GOAT status in most divisions.

GOATs
HW Fedor - Russia
LHW Jones - United States
MW Anderson - Brazil
WW GSP - Canada
LW Khabib - Russia
FW Aldo - Brazil
BW DJ - United States

Looks like two each for Russia, United States, and Brazil, and one for Canada. On the other hand, Canada's population is much smaller than the other three, so they're doing best on a per-capita level.

No country's athletes go into MMA unless they can't make it in other sports, so its odd to think Russia is unique in that. For instance, do you seriously think Lebron James wanted to go into MMA but wasn't good enough so he settled on playing in the NBA as a second choice?

Back