CCWers who carry subcompacts: How many mags/rounds do you carry on you?

Jo Thaibox

Pocket Full Of Sunshine
@Brown
Reaction score
And why?

I'm not trying to start a debate (though feel free to discuss amongst yourselves) as I know there are variations in purpose, use, environment, etc. I just want to get a consensus on how much mags/rounds my fellow subcompact CCWers carry on their person on a daily basis. Thanks in advance!

G27 w/ 9+1. I'll sometimes carry an extra 8 round mag, mostly depending on where I'm going and how I'm dressed. I'm skinny, and I don't wear baggy clothes, so not a ton of space to carry more stuff. I have other metal things with pointy corners I keep in both front pockets, so I'm always a little worried about pocket carying a spare mag. Mostly that the first round might get damaged.

In my cars console though, I have a 15 round (G22) mag always.

No a sub compact, but ruger sr9c with 10 loaded and a full sized 17 in my back left pocket sometimes

If I need more than 27 (or even the 10) shots I've seriously fucked up bad. Really don't ever envision a situation where that 2nd mag will be used for anything other than reloading for peace of mind of having a full mag after a possible incident and chilling til cops show up

Glock 30 with 10 rounds, no extra mag. My brother has a 9mm Shield with 8 rounds.

Friend that carries a hk usp compact in 45 with a spare mag. Another friend has a glock 19 no spare. Another has a hk usp compact 40, sig P238 with a wallet holster and a Kahr cm9, no spare mags. I know another guy who carries a 1911 with a spare. Another carried a Sig p229 in .357 sig no spare.

Why is that I use a small iwb holster and I don't really feel like adding another mag to it.

XDs 9mm 7+1 with no spare mag. I was carrying the 9 round mag as a spare, but it's a pain in the ass so I stopped.

G26 with a GAP floor plate (10 + 1).

Spare G19 mag in the glove box of my car - not carried all the time 😔

I don't always carry a spare but there's almost always a loaded g17 mag in the truck.

G26 is/was my edc.

Kahr CW9 7+1 no spare mag.

I dont feel like the hassle of carrying and dealing with a spare mag is worth it considering in my life, I may never use my firearm in a defensive purpose

Edit

Last edited:
I started carry a Springfield XDS 9MM. Carry the extended mag as a spare. Gives me like 17 rounds.

Carry it in a back pocket but that is only cause I haven't found a low profile mag pouch for the belt yet.

I'm a cop so chances of me being involved in off duty shit is pretty good.

I started carry a Springfield XDS 9MM. Carry the extended mag as a spare. Gives me like 17 rounds.

Carry it in a back pocket but that is only cause I haven't found a low profile mag pouch for the belt yet.

I'm a cop so chances of me being involved in off duty shit is pretty good.

In your case that makes a lot of sense. Some people ( not anyone in this thread) are just waaaay out there with the stuff they are carrying . ....imo anyway . Guys carrying 2 pistols or a g 19 with a spare g 17 mag on their person etc . What the hell are you expecting to happen at the grocery store exactly lol?

The chances of actually using your pistol in a defensive capacity as a regular schmo are small
, emptying the magazine a lot smaller . Getting involved in a protracted gun battle in which you're doing freaking mag changes ? Seems like a lot of hassle and encumbrance for an absolutely miniscule possibility .

When I had the shoulder holster (before the cheapass thing fucking broke) with a full size 1911 (yeah, I was that guy at 24) I carried two spares with a 7 rounder in the gun. Why? Cause if I didn't the damn thing was lopsided in terms of weight distribution and felt fucking weird.

So, it has nothing to do with me wanting more ammo (though at 7 rounds for the standard 1911 it isn't so bad) it was because it felt uncomfortable.

I know, pragmatic right?

Warm weather, Taurus 709 Slim no extra mag.
WP_20150831_001_zpsko7fzxu0.jpg

Cold weather
WP_20150831_21_26_39_Pro_zpsjyov5dj6.jpg

Hopefully getting a S&W 649 soon. I'll switch that in.

Last edited:
Springfield XD mod.2 in .45 acp. I've had this for a couple of months, but just now started carrying it. It replaced my XD9 4" as my EDC. I carry it with the 9+1 mag, and no extra mag. I keep the 13 round mag in the console of my truck. I have another 13 round mag on order to keep in my backpack which will stay in the truck too.

Taurus MilPro 9mm one mag (12 rds).
My wife carries a Ruger LCP .380 one mag (8 rounds, I think).

I usually have at least one back up magazine, if not two.

Depends upon quite a few factors, but I always carry two backup mags for semis. At least 12 rounds on moon or half-moon clips for a revolver. That comes to as few as 12 rounds if its a revolver, as many as 56 if I'm rocking a CZ.

Back