CBS drops Thurman/Porter card

If this were a ufc card mma fans would be crying that they didn't stack the card enough to keep it alive lol

If this were a UFC card, that would not have been enough for a network to feel the need to drop the whole event.

But alas... This is boxing we are talking about. Lol

If this were a UFC card, that would not have been enough for a network to feel the need to drop the whole event.

But alas... This is boxing we are talking about. Lol

That's true, I've been saying boxing needs to do a better job of building cards. It would bring more interest to the sport and intrigue to the events themselves.

Using that logic, MMA doesnt exist.

You dont have a strong grasp of logic yet it seems..

Using "that logic" If the UFC was doing very poorly, it would mean the sport is doing very poorly.

Same reason why when Pride died, Japanese interest in the sport declined greatly

So what enriching programming has CBS filled the slot with? Lol

If with Spence and Algeri, that will be a very meaningful card for the division. Not saying Spence should fight either if he wins, he could fight the loser, while the winner of Thurman/Porter gets an easier fight such as Khan if he loses to Canelo.

But if Algeri gets the win, then he is primed enough to take on the winner of Thurman/Porter in the immediate next fight

So it is good exposure to set up a future mega match.

Haymon along with one or two others IS the sport

Using "that logic" If the UFC was doing very poorly, it would mean the sport is doing very poorly.

Same reason why when Pride died, Japanese interest in the sport declined greatly

"Haymon along with two others IS the sport"

Well we all know that boxers make alot more money than UFC fighters. Povetkin is set to make at least $2M, and no casual MMA fan would know who that is but $2M in boxing is like $50M in MMA money.

So how is Povetkin making more money than any UFC fighter and pulling in more viewers in Russia alone than any UFC fighter is doing globally?
Then bring up Wilder and his $5M-$6M hes getting paid for this fight and then move on too Fury and Klitschko and their stardom and paychecks, and then we can bring up people like Pacquiao and Canelo, and really you can just go down the list.

So which "two" are the sport of boxing? Because whatever two easily trump the top 2 in MMA. Not only that but those other guys in boxing that apparently don't matter are bigger than anything the UFC has.

"Haymon along with two others IS the sport"

Well we all know that boxers make alot more money than UFC fighters. Povetkin is set to make at least $2M, and no casual MMA fan would know who that is but $2M in boxing is like $50M in MMA money.

So how is Povetkin making more money than any UFC fighter and pulling in more viewers in Russia alone than any UFC fighter is doing globally?
Then bring up Wilder and his $5M-$6M hes getting paid for this fight and then move on too Fury and Klitschko and their stardom and paychecks, and then we can bring up people like Pacquiao and Canelo, and really you can just go down the list.

So which "two" are the sport of boxing? Because whatever two easily trump the top 2 in MMA. Not only that but those other guys in boxing that apparently don't matter are bigger than anything the UFC has.
Youre point is well taken about Boxing being generally more popular globally than MMA.. but in the states thats not the case.

Even though these fighters are getting huge paychecks they are not selling out venues, and there is little to no public interest in Boxing throughout the year. Whhat has happened to this card would never happen to a UFC card.

Youre point is well taken about Boxing being generally more popular globally than MMA.. but in the states thats not the case.

Even though these fighters are getting huge paychecks they are not selling out venues, and there is little to no public interest in Boxing throughout the year. Whhat has happened to this card would never happen to a UFC card.

I would say in the states they are about the same. Their ratings are about the same but I would still give the nod to boxing.
I think that your average casual suburban fan would rather watch a nobody UFC card compared to a nobody boxing card only because MMA fights tend to end alot faster.

I think when it comes to American fans that it depends on the demographic.
White suburbanites tend to favor MMA for whatever reason. I think thats due to no access to boxing and possibly because of wrestling being somewhat prevalent in high school sports.
But when you tend to go into urban areas I noticed that white people tend to be boxing fans more so than MMA fans.
Blacks and Latinos obviously are big boxing demographics.

Now having been in both suburban and "hood" neighborhoods, I think alot of it comes down to environment.
Suburban schools in general dont have alot of fights and when they do occur its alot of grabbing and grappling maybe some punches if your lucky, but not to much.
In inner city schools fights happen all the time and generally its with fists.

I have no idea if it correlates at all but it would seem that would tend to favor what style you grew up with. A black kid whos scrapped all his life might identify with a Mike Tyson over a Dan Henderson or Chuck Liddell the same way a HS state wrestler in Iowa might identify with Brock Lesnar more so than Adrien Broner.

I would say in the states they are about the same. Their ratings are about the same but I would still give the nod to boxing.
I think that your average casual suburban fan would rather watch a nobody UFC card compared to a nobody boxing card only because MMA fights tend to end alot faster.

White suburbanites tend to favor MMA for whatever reason. I think thats due to no access to boxing and possibly because of wrestling being somewhat prevalent in high school sports.
But when you tend to go into urban areas I noticed that white people tend to be boxing fans more so than MMA fans.

Now having been in both suburban and "hood" neighborhoods, I think alot of it comes down to environment.
Suburban schools in general dont have alot of fights and when they do occur its alot of grabbing and grappling maybe some punches if your lucky, but not to much.

I have no idea if it correlates at all but it would seem that would tend to favor what style you grew up with. A black kid whos scrapped all his life might identify with a Mike Tyson over a Dan Henderson or Chuck Liddell the same way a HS state wrestler in Iowa might identify with Brock Lesnar more so than Adrien Broner.

Look, Saturday night, Crawford fought Lundy.. thats a worldclass fight, you know how many tickets sold? 5,000

Lol MMA trumped boxing starting from the 2nd half of 2015.

NBC covered MMA for the first time in 2015, and by the end of 2015, it moved the MMA section ahead of boxing. All major news outlets cover MMA before boxing, except for BBC which isn't American.

UFC 193 prelims did more viewers on FS1 at the same time as PBC on NBC.

Ronda makes a tweet #fkthemall and gets pushed the first page, and Deontays KO over Szpilka gets pushed back to second page.

Look, Saturday night, Crawford fought Lundy.. thats a worldclass fight, you know how many tickets sold? 5,000
That's not a world class fight. Crawford beat 2 people that beat Lundy.

And 5000 was max capacity. The tickets were sold out

That's not a world class fight. Crawford beat 2 people that beat Lundy.

And 5000 was max capacity. The tickets were sold out
Crawford is a world class talent, that was a title fight... there wasnt any more demand, if they thought they could sell more they would have booked that in a bigger venue.

It's common knowledge that no ufc card ever got canceled entirely after the main event fell apart.....come on guys.

Back