Causing an opponent to flee (turn his back and RUN) - how should it be scored?

Blanqa Blanqua

Sherdog God Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Serious question, while everyone is talking judging revision etc - causing an opponent to flee (turn his back and RUN) - how should it be scored?

As well as a takedown?

As well as a knockdown?

It's a unique situation. You're getting your opponent to turn their back and run from you, showing they have no other means of intelligent defence. Now I'm not talking about someone working angles, side stepping & footwork and resetting to the centre of the octagon, I mean literally turning your back and fleeing.

IE like Jones vs Reyes or Jackson, from memory - post gifs if you like, we can assess them

Automatically 10-7 the round

Lol

Someone turning their back to an opponent at any point and running should be punished. Condit did it vs Nick, Conor did it against Nate, overeem does it etc. it’s a joke.

Hit and not get hit, let's not become convoluted.

So if Jones just jumps right out of the octagon that's a great defence? Won't likely get hit, plus more room to run? Controls the action?

Any other gems of wisdom for us?

What if you're running to do a super human tornado kick off the cage? That would require the salts to wake the living dead if it landed.

NastyFailingAmurstarfish-size_restricted.gif

Turning your back puts you in signicant trouble if you dont keep a good distance. You can get hit with shots that you dont see coming as well get hit in rough spots. You have to very careful and it is most definitely a form of intelligent defense when the other fighter is overwhelming with volume of strikes.

Dont see whats wrong with a fighter evading strikes when the other is literally chasing him with haymakers. It worked as well, every time he turned and kept distance, Reyes missed strikes and wasted energy. Explain to me how thats not intelligent defense. If thats all he was doing, then obviously that would be a negative but on the flipside, if it causes opponents to miss and keep chasing, then it worked, especially if the fighter is able to capitalise on moments where the other fighter is tired, which Jones did throughout

It's a LOT more shameful than fighting while going backwards, that's for sure.

The fighter should be warned for timidity and threatened to be DQ'd if he does it again.

Nah. It's just a more direct way of disengaging. It may not be Just Bleed enough, but it shouldn't really be punished directly. You just might not be scoring on aggression.

It's not like they're running because they're locked in there with some madman. Most of the time it's done because the opponent is behind them, and they're just trying to put some distance between them so they can turn around and square up again.

It should be judged negatively, but not some official scoring category.

Doing it once should negate any of the "moving forward" judges cream themselves over.

Turning your back puts you in signicant trouble if you dont keep a good distance. You can get hit with shots that you dont see coming as well get hit in rough spots. You have to very careful and it is most definitely a form of intelligent defense when the other fighter is overwhelming with volume of strikes.

Dont see whats wrong with a fighter evading strikes when the other is literally chasing him with haymakers. It worked as well, every time he turned and kept distance, Reyes missed strikes and wasted energy. Explain to me how thats not intelligent defense. If thats all he was doing, then obviously that would be a negative but on the flipside, if it causes opponents to miss and keep chasing, then it worked, especially if the fighter is able to capitalise on moments where the other fighter is tired, which Jones did throughout
So it would be ok to run a marathon around the edge of the cage because your opponent couldn't catch you and would waste energy trying?

Black beast is maybe the worst example of this I can remember. He got hurt to the body against Browne and turned his back ran away and refused to engage a few times. Ref should have stopped it. Then he viciously KOd Browne.

Pride system of being c
It's a LOT more shameful than fighting while going backwards, that's for sure.

The fighter should be warned for timidity and threatened to be DQ'd if he does it again.

How so?

One is still fighting, counter striking perhaps even like Anderson Silva? The other... fleeing. Not fighting at all. Possibly not even fitting a practical definition of intelligent defence.

Black beast is maybe the worst example of this I can remember. He got hurt to the body against Browne and turned his back ran away and refused to engage a few times. Ref should have stopped it. Then he viciously KOd Browne.

He had to take a booboo. Was saving all of us from another Kish moment . High fight IQ

He had to take a booboo. Was saving all of us from another Kish moment . High fight IQ

Haha!! I forgot about that part. Under the new rules, shitting your pants in the octagon is a TKO loss as well. Super high level from Black Beast.

Back