Cause of this?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by shs101, Feb 13, 2016.

1. shs101

shs101 Blue Belt

whats the main cause of 2 people throwing hooks at the same time but one gets KOed? Everyone seen the Carlos Condit / dan hardy example but watching an old fight between 2 great boxers I seen the same thing and they don't look wild or anything.

10 seconds in:

2. tehmvp

tehmvp WBA Super Neighborhood Champion Platinum Member

The man with better position will get his hook there first with better impact.

In this example specifically, Oscar ducks a right hand and starts his hook right after from underneath, where the opponent doesn't see coming as he follows with his own hook.

3. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

Ya it's just as simple as tehmvp said. Basically it's one of those "if all things are equal then ___ wins" scenarios.

Mcgregor/Aldo is a great recent example, Aldo actually landed his hook pretty well as he collapsed in an unconscious heap, but he was SO far out of position it didn't matter at all.

4. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Aldo had his eyes shut. What you dont se coming....

Same reason why Anderson silva could eat hard shots from the clinch like candy, yet Weidman dropped Anderson with some basic hooks from the clinch. His eyes where closed.

5. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

Aldo could have had his eyes propped open with toothpicks, he lead with his face. That hook he threw was out of anger, his technique was non existent.

6. wilddeuces

wilddeuces Brown Belt

His feet were off the ground so his chin took the brunt of the force. Still, fighters have walked through punches like that. His eyes being closed is actually a huge deal. Seeing the punch is just as important as shrugging into your defensive stance.

7. fluffball

fluffball Brown Belt

Meh, it was game over the second he decided to leap face first into a planted hook. Aldo effectively KOed himself, something we've seen time and time again in the UFC. Charging into an opponent face first gets you KOed and I can name 5 examples off the top of my head... Dollaway was one of the best at getting himself knocked out.

It was a really stupid move born out of wanting to punish McGregor. I predicted the fight would go 5 rounds, I mean look at the shots Aldo has eaten in his career and walked right through them because he was in a good position. He hired a bunch of people to help him fight smart and not angry against McGregor and it didn't work.