"Cauliflower ear tells me you're stupid, not tough."

It means you have stiff ears which are prone to break, i have soft ears and i have been punched, headbutted, kneed, scissored and roughed up so bad that living tissue is exposed and scabs form in them.

I have yet to have any indication of a cauliflower, other guys train for a month at a hobby pace and get them.

I would say that the author (and a lot of people in general) should worry a lot less about what other people do with themselves and their training.

"Cauliflower ear tells me you're stupid, not tough."

Judging a person based on looks tells me you are short sighted, not perceptive.

Judging a person based on looks tells me you are short sighted, not perceptive.

Nailed it.

Also, the author claims those with cauliflower ear aren't looking after their health enough. But are there really any serious health issues associated with cauliflower ear? I'm sure it could get infected if drained incorrectly but I can't think of anything else. I have a small amount of cauliflower ear and haven't seen any adverse side effects.

I would say that the author (and a lot of people in general) should worry a lot less about what other people do with themselves and their training.

Interesting statement considering you are doing the exact opposite of what you are saying here.

I have some cauliflower ear. It's not completely visible unless you really look at it. I wear ear muffs to but sometimes even then they act up a bit. I have been training for a few years now. I don't want cauliflower but it's part of the game for some people. I know other dudes who have been training for years and don't have anything. I think genetics has more to do with it than anything.

Also, I don't really see where the author is going with the health aspect. Yes cauliflower hurts and is uncomfortable but I don't see it as a life threatening aspect of the sport.

Author wants white belts to start tapping their knuckles as well.

Author wants white belts to start tapping their knuckles as well.

Lol. I read that as well. I don't understand this guy. I have a jammed finger right now. I am taping it now but it seems that the tape falls off in the middle of my rolls. I even looked at Kurt osianders tutorial and my tape still falls off due to the sweat.

Sounds like the author doesn't have one...
Explains the whole article.

Lol. I read that as well. I don't understand this guy. I have a jammed finger right now. I am taping it now but it seems that the tape falls off in the middle of my rolls. I even looked at Kurt osianders tutorial and my tape still falls off due to the sweat.

Try wrapping electrical tape over the regular tape. It seems to stay on much longer if not the whole time when I use it.

But the author will tell you off for training while you are injured.

That is what his write up is about.

Apparently, most people could just give time to heal their cauliflowers instead of just keep training.

Knee pads, training with ear guars, tapping fingers to prevent the Miayo bros knuckle.

I wonder what would Wilson Rant topic would be next time.

If someone wanted to look perfect after training they should not chose grappling arts

Interesting statement considering you are doing the exact opposite of what you are saying here.

Interesting straw man and overall disingenuous post. I'm sure you know what he means even if it wasn't worded concisely.

It means you have stiff ears which are prone to break, i have soft ears and i have been punched, headbutted, kneed, scissored and roughed up so bad that living tissue is exposed and scabs form in them.

I have yet to have any indication of a cauliflower, other guys train for a month at a hobby pace and get them.

Me too, and I feel so blessed. I played college football (plus high school and jr high) so that's 10 years of a helmet constantly grinding up and down the ears, then did Muay Thai for 8 years, no-gi grappling for those same 8 years, and gi BJJ for 2 now. Been kicked, elbowed, punched, grinded to death on my ears.

Not a single speck of cauliflower thank God.

Friend joined a month ago. Already has it forming. Sucks!

headgear sucks for MMA and BJJ. headgear in striking arts increase the incidence of brain injury and in BJJ they make you deaf, make you annoying to partners when you grind your head on them, and they make escaping your head impossible. plus you're always stopping to adjust the damn things.

headgear sucks for MMA and BJJ. headgear in striking arts increase the incidence of brain injury and in BJJ they make you deaf, make you annoying to partners when you grind your head on them, and they make escaping your head impossible. plus you're always stopping to adjust the damn things.

How does headgear in sriking increase the incidence of brain injury? Have you got a link to a study on this? I thought it was designed to decrease brain damage by providing an extra bit of shock absorption for the head & brain.

Wrong tape, bro.

I always get this stuff...

http://www.ithacasports.com/zonas.html

They've lasted through entire 2 hour randori sessions.

Back