Cauliflower Ear Question?

JDV5811

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I ive been doing BJJ for about 10 months and i recently yesterday got cauliflower ear and it swelled up at the top, its not too bad and of course it hurts. but my question is will anything happen if i dont drain it? as in infection etc? a friend i roll will keeps telling me if i dont drain it i will get a bad infection or something. there are no open cuts or anything. if i dont drain it will it just harden or whatever? anyone anything would help thanks

Ice it to keep the swelling down

Wear headgear until it heels up.

If its too big or painful, go to an ENT Dr, they will cut it and stitch it back up, I;ve had this done a few times and my ears don't look that bad, and it hasn't come back.

Exactly what del said. Plus if you don't what this to happen again, I suggest you pick up some headgear.

Only 10 months?

Def worth the headgear investment.

btw, is it easier to get cauli if you got soft ears or hard ears? or is it all just genetics

Go to a doctor and have it drained. Watch how he does it, basically they just use a sterile needle and the draw out fluid. I got tired of having to pay the doctor 100 bucks a visit and just got some needles and did it myself.

If you care how your ears look get it drained. If you leave it alone it will start to hurt and get bigger, but eventually it will go down a little bit and harden up and won't hurt anymore but it will look all mangled up. Unless it breaks open you don't really have to worry about an infection.

I had bad cauli when I was about 8 months in on my right ear. Eventually it got pretty big so I drained it with needles. Thing is if its bad enough it will keep filling back up. Eventually I reliazed I need to use a compress and then it was solved within a week. I used a strong clip and a piece of cardboard.

Moral of the story is if you have to do it yourself make sure you compress.

If your uncomfortable see a doctor and they will cut you up but otherwise get some 23 or so guage needles and perhaps some insulin ones for backup to get that last little bit. Make sure you steralize with 70% alcohol for one full minute of exposure both your hands and ear. Then open syringe cover and hold your ear. Insert syringe slowly and when in a good amount begin to aspirate ....(pull back slightly). Now slowly pull the needle out of the ear. When you hit the sweet spot it will quicckly fill with a bloody substance. Once they are drained Get some cardboard, kleenex and cardboard and creat a compress on the drained portion of your ear, Werar the compress for 1 week especially when you sleep.

Anyway thats what I did and it works but ANY signs of infection and get to a doctor ASAP.

You should get it drained, because if it keeps getting worse and you don't get it drained the pressure can build up and your ear drum can burst.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DC2smrDDaqA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DC2smrDDaqA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I ive been doing BJJ for about 10 months and i recently yesterday got cauliflower ear and it swelled up at the top, its not too bad and of course it hurts. but my question is will anything happen if i dont drain it? as in infection etc? a friend i roll will keeps telling me if i dont drain it i will get a bad infection or something. there are no open cuts or anything. if i dont drain it will it just harden or whatever? anyone anything would help thanks

haha, i've been doing BJJ for about 14 months and my left ear is starting to Cauliflower, its sweet!

Back