Catholic Church covered up child abuse by 300 US priests

Chinballs

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
So no thread on this yet, figured it's actually quite a big thing. Catholic church strikes again. EDIT (There is a thread on this already, my bad.)

Pennsylvania grand jury details decades of abuse of more than 1,000 children by hundreds of accused priests in the state

More than 1,000 children - and possibly many more - were molested by hundreds of Roman Catholic priests in six dioceses in the US state of Pennsylvania, while senior church officials took steps to cover it up, according to a landmark grand jury report released on Tuesday.

Even CNN has articles on it.

So when is it time to actually burn the catholic church to the ground? They have obviously been the hotspot for pedo's for God knows how long. Always these scandals.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018...abuse-300-priests-report-180814213713718.html

Last edited:
I think there is actually a thread on this... In my opinion there can NEVER be enough threads on this topic though

Ok sorry, I looked but didn't see. (could have looked harder).

I absolutely hate pedos and it's above and beyond me how the catholic church hasn't been forced to turn inside out and reform by now.

MODS, feel free to delete my thread if you think this is amply covered.

so fucking sad and pathetic. This shit needs a purge, big time.

Sorry to throw in a joke here, but it's relevant, as it conveys an inherent issue that will always persist with radical religious people.

Emo Phillips

"Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over."

I think the priest Malachi Martin started warning us of this stuff back in the early 80's.

I think the priest Malachi Martin started warning us of this stuff back in the early 80's.

I remember listening to interviews with Martin on the old Art Bell show. Demons-under-the-bed wack jobber. But entertaining.

I remember listening to interviews with Martin on the old Art Bell show. Demons-under-the-bed wack jobber. But entertaining.
It was very interesting to listen to him. I got the picture he had knowledge that people just weren't ready to hear at that time.

The report said more than 300 clergy committed the abuse over a period decades, beginning in the mid-1950s.

Most of the abuse survivors were boys, but girls were abused too, the report said. The abuse ranged from groping and masturbation to anal, oral and vaginal rape.

"Church officials routinely and purposefully described the abuse as horseplay and wrestling ... It was none of those things. It was child sexual abuse, including rape," Shapiro said.

The attorney general said that Catholic bishops covered up child sexual abuse by priests and reassigned them repeatedly to different parishes. "They allowed priests to remain active for as long as 40 years," he said.

"Children were taught that this abuse was not only normal but that it was holy."

While the probe yielded charges against two clergymen - including a priest who has since pleaded guilty, and another who allegedly forced his accuser to say confession after each sex assault - the other priests identified as perpetrators are either dead or will avoid arrest because their alleged crimes are too old to prosecute under state law.

"The issue here is that many of these cases occurred so long ago that they cannot be charged criminally here in the state," Saloomey said.

SereneLoneDogwoodclubgall-max-1mb.gif

The report said more than 300 clergy committed the abuse over a period decades, beginning in the mid-1950s.

Most of the abuse survivors were boys, but girls were abused too, the report said. The abuse ranged from groping and masturbation to anal, oral and vaginal rape.

"Church officials routinely and purposefully described the abuse as horseplay and wrestling ... It was none of those things. It was child sexual abuse, including rape," Shapiro said.

The attorney general said that Catholic bishops covered up child sexual abuse by priests and reassigned them repeatedly to different parishes. "They allowed priests to remain active for as long as 40 years," he said.

"Children were taught that this abuse was not only normal but that it was holy."

While the probe yielded charges against two clergymen - including a priest who has since pleaded guilty, and another who allegedly forced his accuser to say confession after each sex assault - the other priests identified as perpetrators are either dead or will avoid arrest because their alleged crimes are too old to prosecute under state law.

"The issue here is that many of these cases occurred so long ago that they cannot be charged criminally here in the state," Saloomey said.

SereneLoneDogwoodclubgall-max-1mb.gif
You're a Catholic aren't you, what do you think needs to be done to fix this issue that seems to be systemic? I actually respect Catholicism with its emphasis on its history and traditions as well as its historic concern for the poor and wretched masses while at the same time maintaining a moral standard while doing so. But this pedo problem is such a huge black mark on the religion.

I think the problem is related to the celibacy mandate for priests. Lifetime celibacy is a nice ideal but IMO only a few, rare individuals have the willpower to reach that ideal and mandating it for so many can have unintended consequences like this. I know I just said that I respect the reverence for traditions and moral standards but I really do think celibacy is so high a moral standard that it does more harm than good in the long run.

The Church is run by evil Satanic global elite for the purpose of having underground pedophile sex rings all over the world..... <{1-1}>

See how easy that works? But Muhh Pizzagate! Muhh Hollywood Elite!

Thousands and thousands of priests have done this type of stuff, this is one area where they uncovered this.

Now imagine going around the world and really digging. I’d day tens of thousands of children have been molested by the Catholic Church and since its inception I’d say hundreds of thousands.

Let’s not forget about other major stories like Boston and the deaf kid school where this took place

This was covered up by the highest levels. Cardinals. Popes etc etc.

This institution should be burnt to the ground.

You're a Catholic aren't you, what do you think needs to be done to fix this issue that seems to be systemic? I actually respect Catholicism with its emphasis on its history and traditions as well as its historic concern for the poor and wretched masses while at the same time maintaining a moral standard while doing so. But this pedo problem is such a huge black mark on the religion.

I think the problem is related to the celibacy mandate for priests. Lifetime celibacy is a nice ideal but IMO only a few, rare individuals have the willpower to reach that ideal and mandating it for so many can have unintended consequences like this. I know I just said that I respect the reverence for traditions and moral standards but I really do think celibacy is so high a moral standard that it does more harm than good in the long run.

Yes, I consider myself a Catholic. The sexual abuse stuff sickens me, but it is contrary to Church teaching and sadly not all that surprising given the Church is a flawed, man-made institution. What institution is not plagued by scandal?

I do agree that priests should be allowed to be married. It would seem less strange when a man who has never been married or raised children is preaching to others about marriage and children. If I am not mistaken, Islam believes that a wife and children are a blessing that can enhance a man's spiritual life.

I think the best thing the Catholic Church can do is be honest, open and work with authorities to get rid of the pedophiles and sexual abusers. Things have changed quite a bit since the 50's when all of this became a huge issue, but I do not think the Church has been open enough to investigations and working with law-enforcement to deal efficiently with the problem. Counselling and a better screening process might help as well.

I'm also pro-death penalty when it comes to pedophiles. It would help the Church's image if they took the lead on executing pedophiles.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're lowballing that number and the gotdamn time frame.

Back