Catholic Church Commits to the Abolition of the Death Penalty

- The entire church is filled with pedophiles
- Wants to get rid of the death penalty

Hmm....

You realize that Pope Francis is from Buenos Aires, right?

It’s not like he was hatched from an egg in Vatican City and kept in a velvet pouch from birth.

Do they have open borders though.

All of life's ills originate with open borders and illegals to a lot of people, including @Seano

Shitty job? The illegals keeping you from being a consultant at General Electric. Wife left you for someone else? Open borders allowed that someone else to have a high-paying job. People call you ignorant and uneducated all the time? The illegals clogging up all the schools kept you from going to MIT.

Shew. I would have massive trouble maintaining consistency with an outlook like that.
I suspect you do too.

Either way, comparing the death penalty to abortion is not a good faith argument.

A better argument is "All human life is precious"

In that case, you'd be anti-death penalty, but also pro-choice when it comes to abortion because a clump of cells (which is when 90% of abortions take place) that could, eventually, after several months, turn into a human, isn't a human.

- The entire church is filled with pedophiles
- Wants to get rid of the death penalty

Hmm....
this'll help save all those child molesting priests.
Post #34 itt... if you are interested in facts rather than slander.

The obvious genetic fallacy with using the RCC views on the death penalty is that it's based on the view that only God should decide who should live or die -- since God is figment of their imagination, the decision making goes to qualified members of society.
All I can say is that, with a worldview like that, you better hope that you are right... lol.

But, in any case, the only “virtue” your outlook promotes is a narrow and short-sighted, selfish materialism... so, either way, I’d suggest society (as a whole) would be better off excluding your ilk from decision making rather than those who fervently believe in a transcendent Good.

Last edited:
As a Christian, I’m for justified capital punishment. Romans 13:4 supports capital punishment, as well as warfare when justified.

As a Christian, I’m for justified capital punishment. Romans 13:4 supports capital punishment, as well as warfare when justified.

People use the same new testament to support slavery too. Yipeee!!

But on a more serious note theology is about taking ALL of the sometimes contradictory statements made in the bible and making sense out of them. This is a very delicate process and needs to be done in and with the great minds of the Christian faith who have come before us all the way back to the earliest Church Fathers. Scripture is nestled within this tradition of saints. In fact it was this tradition of saints who compiled the New Testament among the many books and letters available to them at the time.

When taking all of scripture into account there is interpretation required of the subjective variety. I am certainly in the camp of those who see in the scriptures a profound valuation of life and the sacredness of life and forgiveness and love being above and greater than justice.

@luckyshot -- I edited the post just as you were liking it and wanted to give you the chance to make sure you still like it man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shew. I would have massive trouble maintaining consistency with an outlook like that.
I suspect you do too.

Either way, comparing the death penalty to abortion is not a good faith argument.

Life is precious and everyone regardless of sin is worthy and capable of redemption through Jesus Christ. That's what the Bible says.

The popes position is in line with Christ's teaching.

Last edited:
all these supposed pro lifers suddenly dont give a fuck about life when the death penalty is brought up
Actually we believe the death penalty should be reserved for those who have taken a life. It is an entirely separate issue than abortion and there's no discontinuity of thought like you so shamelessly implied.

All I can say is that, with a worldview like that, you better hope that you are right... lol.

Pascal's wager or a threat? Either way, lol at your lol.

But, in any case, the only “virtue” your outlook promotes is a narrow and short-sighted, selfish materialism...

Bullshit. Living a life free of superstitious woo-woo without the belief in an afterlife promotes valuing the real life we have now - the only one we know we're guaranteed to have.

so, either way, I’d suggest society (as a whole) would be better off excluding your ilk from decision making rather than those who fervently believe in a transcendent Good.

What the actual fuck is a "transcendent capital-fucking-G good"?

This sentence is problematic for several reasons, but the most obvious one relating to religion is how extreme fundamentalists - the enemies of the society we're trying to have here - would absolutely agree with you.

Come on bro. I've read a lot of your posts and I know you are a much more capable thinker.

Hebrews 9:14 "How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!"

Romans 12:19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord.

At one point n time, but ppl n societies are suppose to evolve.

Or you think ksa n iran got it right n they should be emulated instead

I don't know what you mean by "getting it right" but the whole point of the word barbarian is to not be "civilized". Arab and Persian Civilizations are pretty old.

Meh. Easy to judge from inside your walled-in country with 0 crime. Open your borders and get back to me in 10 years, Vatican City.

Pope Francis worked for decades in some of the most dangerous slums in Argentina, you dolt.

Also, the death penalty has no measurable effect on safety, so your point would be incoherent anyways.

Pretty much my view. It's rather impossible to come up with a gospel centered defense of the death penalty without some 5 star mental gymnastics

Old testament hell yeah, line em up and break out the ropes, but Christ fulfilled the Law and persisting in the letter by letter following and enforcing of it (when it suits our needs) makes us pharisees

Jesus Christ, more like Jesus Cuck, amirite?

all these supposed pro lifers suddenly dont give a fuck about life when the death penalty is brought up

LOL at comparing murdering innocent babies to executing people who rape and murder innocents.

You’re not smart.

Nice! Now that the dearh penalty is off the table and the department of silly hats is distancing themselves on passing judgement on sexual preferences, it's just a matter of a few more centuries before they come in line with the teachings of Jesus. Aaaaaaaaalmost there!

Pope Francis worked for decades in some of the most dangerous slums in Argentina, you dolt.

Also, the death penalty has no measurable effect on safety, so your point would be incoherent anyways.

If you took each murderer and rapist out back and shanked them then it would have a measurable effect on the pocket book.

If you took each murderer and rapist out back and shanked them then it would have a measurable effect on the pocket book.

Yeah, unfortunately we have due process and a small concern about murdering innocent people.

It's really too bad that you reductive reactionaries won't ever know the joy of living in a world where "hey, just kill 'em all" is actual prophylactic procedure.

Yeah, unfortunately we have due process and a small concern about murdering innocent people.

It's really too bad that you reductive reactionaries won't ever know the joy of living in a world where "hey, just kill 'em all" is actual prophylactic procedure.

I’m guessing you missed the part where I mentioned they were rapists, not innocents. Minor detail.

I’m guessing you missed the part where I mentioned they were rapists, not innocents. Minor detail.

So we're in agreement that murder is wrong, but you want state sanctioned murder?

Aren't you a 'get gubment out of mah life' guy?

Back