Cathal Pendred tops Sean Spencer because MMA JUDGING SUCKS!

Fighter123

Brown Belt
Reaction score
MMAjunkie.com is not mincing words with the Pendred vs. Spencer outcome: "MMA judging sucks." That is their conclusion.

A couple of paragraphs from MMAjunkie's just-published "MMA judging sucks" article:

Even UFC President Dana White and UFC commentator Joe Rogan could not defend the judges’ scorecards following a botched call in a three-round bout between Cathal Pendred and Sean Spencer.

Despite getting soundly outstruck by Spencer (12-4 MMA, 3-3 UFC) over 15 minutes, Pendred (16-2-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) somehow won all three rounds on two judges’ scorecards and two of three on another.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/01/ufc-fi...d-tops-sean-spencer-because-mma-judging-sucks

And then there was the Cerrone vs. Henderson decision. Would that be two decisions that "sucked" in one night?

So, do you agree with MMAjunkie.com that "MMA judging sucks"? Or do you think that the Pendred vs. Spencer decision was an anomaly (and that the Cerrone vs. Henderson decision was also an anomaly)?

Or do you think the judges actually got it right?

Cerrone/Henderson was a really really close fight that could of went either way. Shame it wasnt 5 rounds but whatever. Pendred/Spencer was just a laughable fix.

bendo - cerrone could have gone either way, but cathal - spencer was one of the worst decisions i've ever seen. it didn't look like cathal landed anything and spencer just boxed the crap out of him.

and one of the judges having it 30-27 is just too much to believe. boxing has been corrupt as hell since the beginning of time and I think mma is just going the same direction. if I had to guess i'd say a fair # of these judges are being gotten to and paid off these days.

there's just no way to defend a 30-27 in that fight tonite, i mean not even close. combine that with the trowbridge crap from a few weeks ago (who had 49-46 for lawler which was equally absurd) and a bunch of others and it's the only conclusion you can draw.

Thought it was alright. Pendred controlled the ring and took the takedowns, had a good attempt at the kimura. Spencer landed a few shots going backwards.

Pendred clearly lost imo.

I like both fighters. I didn't think Cerrone was aggressive enough to win the fight, but I have not seen any stats on striking. Pendred decision was a farce.

Cerrone decision was not good, but it was not completely out there

The Pendred decision was a crime against humanity

What are your thoughts?

The whole room I was in had Spencer winning. Luck of the Irish;). We had Benson winning as well though, and Donald's not from Ireland, so I'm a little confused? Maybe MMA judges do suck. This is a new revelation.

I've always found it amusing that many MMA fans insisted there was 0 corruption in MMA judging. Many people who have judged UFC fights have also judged boxing, so absolutely, corrupt judging is possible. Many states have 1 athletic commission that appoints judges for boxing & the same judges for MMA in many instances

Cerrone decision was not good, but it was not completely out there

The Pendred decision was a crime against humanity

I agree with this guy.

I scored both fights 30-27 to the loser, but Cerrone/Bendo was a much closer affair.

Sucks for Spencer man. Didn't see the fight but every single person on here said it was no doubt a robbery.

Cerrone Bendo wasn't a robbery to me.
I had Bendo winning 2 rounds to 1 but each round was pretty damn close.

Pendred shouldn't be in the UFC, dudes stand up is laughable.

Spencer got screwed hard, worst decision I've seen since Sanchez-Pearson.

Worst robbery since KZ vs Leonard Garcia I. Maybe Cathal is on his way to being the new Leonard Garcia

Cathal has limited, if any stand-up, he should have lost that fight.

Cerrone/Henderson goes to Cerrone imo.

If I'd had to guess, I would have said Bendo wins a split. I'm almost certainly a bit biased in favor of Cerrone. Thought that one was incorrect but not outrageously so.

Pendred-Spencer, though, was an outlier. The crowd reaction was quite muted, which I attribute to surprise and the knowledge that they'd just witnessed a stone-cold robbery.

Pendred EASILY won that fight. He beat the shit out of Spencer's knuckles.

It wasn't a huge robbery, but Pendred definitely didn't deserve to win.

He got a few takedowns, and usually a lot of you dudes love all that nonsense - Brits cant wrestle, learn to defend the takedown etc. Spencer stood up every time and boxed the shit out of him. Pendred will come unstuck VERY soon, I've heard he's a lovely guy but he's certainly not a lovely fighter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back