Catching kicks?

Reaction score
So I was training in my MMA class today and we were doing full MMA rules. Round 1, I was not comfortable at all (as this was my first time training with punches/kicks to the head). I kept my distance and worked a lot of inside leg kicks and would occasionally throw jabs and right crosses that I did not put much behind. As the round came to an end, I attempted to catch one of his outside leg kicks instead of checking it (bad move), and ended up tearing three ligaments in my middle finger. At first, I thought three fingers were broken as making a fist was nearly impossible. I ultimately ended up tapping him out in round 2 with an armbar, as I chose to go for a quick take down and not stand with him anymore.

So my question is, is there a safe way in catching kicks to the body?

Don't try to actually catch the kicks (with your hands). Just kind of hook the leg like you're going for an ankle lock or a heel hook. That's how I was tought and most MT guys do it the same from what I've seen. You pretty much let it connect before you can grab it though.

You really have to take a safety first attitude to catching kicks, your first priority must be to protect yourself.
IME it's the times when you're more focused on catching the leg than you are on protecting yourself that you put your self in danger.
The better you get at defending kicks and protecting yourself the more opportunities you'll be able to capitalize on to catch the leg.
There are lots of techniques you can use to catch a kick, you just need to find which ones works best for you

You step to the side of the kick and trap it with your arms just like when you grapple you usually go for an over or under hook because if you grab with the hand there is no power.

Yo have to learn how to grab and block kicks properly or else yo will end up with alot of broken, stoved, and swollen fingers.

You step to the side of the kick and trap it with your arms just like when you grapple you usually go for an over or under hook because if you grab with the hand there is no power.

Yo have to learn how to grab and block kicks properly or else yo will end up with alot of broken, stoved, and swollen fingers.

Yes..you actually step and angle away fronm the kick which lessens the severity of the impact when you trap it.

Once you have the leg trapped, there is a multitude of things you can do including foot sweeps, punches, kneees, elbows...etc.

The one time, so far, I have worked on catching kicks the instructor showed us to try and catch above over below the knee. Use a cable lock an torque it so you flip the guy to the ground. Is this a smart way to catch a kick?

The one time, so far, I have worked on catching kicks the instructor showed us to try and catch above over below the knee. Use a cable lock an torque it so you flip the guy to the ground. Is this a smart way to catch a kick?

that's not smart at all, if anything, that is un-smart

Back