Catch Wrestling United

Hi there, first post so hello everyone.

I've always been fascinated in Catch wrestling thanks to Sakuraba, and have now decided to attempt to take up learning the sport rather than rely on the various instructional DVDs and books I've got my hands on:icon_lol:.

However, I'm based in London, Englandand from my extensive searching there doesn't seem to be any gyms or clubs that teach catch.

I liked the look of Mill Hill BJJ's Submission Grappling classes as they stated they took influence from various arts like Sambo, Freestyle etc. but when I sent a message asking if any Catch techniques were taught/used, I got no reply.

So my question is basically - with no clubs dedicated to Catch, I guess I'm stuck with having to find a No-Gi/Sub-Grappling school that may implement some catch techniques. Could anyone in this thread enlighten me on what clubs/gyms might be my best bet?

Many thanks for any replies,

Cheers,

Tavy

I've always been fascinated in Catch wrestling thanks to Sakuraba, and have now decided to attempt to take up learning the sport rather than rely on the various instructional DVDs and books I've got my hands on:icon_lol:.

However, I'm based in London, Englandand from my extensive searching there doesn't seem to be any gyms or clubs that teach catch.

I liked the look of Mill Hill BJJ's Submission Grappling classes as they stated they took influence from various arts like Sambo, Freestyle etc. but when I sent a message asking if any Catch techniques were taught/used, I got no reply.

So my question is basically - with no clubs dedicated to Catch, I guess I'm stuck with having to find a No-Gi/Sub-Grappling school that may implement some catch techniques. Could anyone in this thread enlighten me on what clubs/gyms might be my best bet?

Cheers,

Tavy

Here's a London wrestling club that says they do some submission wrestling:

http://www.law-wrestling.org/

Thanks for the reply, I have looked at that club but was warned by someone that it has a reputation as a place where guys go to pick-up other guys if you know what I mean.. I don't know if it's true or not, but he said he found it quite uncomfortable.

Has anyone got any experience with the Mill Hill BJJ Submission classes?

Cheers,

Tavy

This is interesting, why would you search and search for a place that may take some small forms of CATCH and implement them rather than just go to a good grappling/BJJ school?

I do plan on attending a good grappling school of course no matter what, I was just asking if anyone knew of any specific ones that would be more open to teaching catch techniques etc. if you see what I mean.

I do plan on attending a good grappling school of course no matter what, I was just asking if anyone knew of any specific ones that would be more open to teaching catch techniques etc. if you see what I mean.

Gotcha! That makes sense, would be unfortunate for someone to get far subpar teaching in grappling just for the sake of training "Catch".

Great video Seatea, I've seen it a bunch. Just started wrestling and looking to start BJJ because there's no CACC here. Have any of you taken the same path?

I guess Neil Melansons book finally came out. Didnt hear a word about it.

I guess Neil Melansons book finally came out. Didnt hear a word about it.

Really!? It's been forever! Will have to look into it. Hope there is an attacking from turtle/refs position section. Weird, I can't find a thing about it. Not even on his website......

Last edited:
Really!? It's been forever! Will have to look into it. Hope there is an attacking from turtle/refs position section. Weird, I can't find a thing about it. Not even on his website......

It was going to be about Triangles primarily, mostly from guard. Eddie Bravo's advanced rubber guard also has a release date, though I don't think it's through Victory Belt any more.

I'm wondering if Melanson is still with VB or not.

This is so awesome

BarzomkCEAEsG2u.jpg

I do, I obviously didn't recognize him though. Thank you.

I went to this gym off and on for a few years (my schedule sucks and I could only attend sporadically.) This guy is an absolute wealth of information and technique and one of the most easy going and cool instructors I've ever met.

They have CACC weekend seminars pretty often and his regular classes incorporate a lot of chain subs and interesting ways to twist you up. If you are in central NJ, I highly recommend checking the place out.

The gym is Modern Martial Arts in Englishtown, NJ and the sensai is John Potenza.

Back