Catch Wrestling, Freestyle Wrestling and Greco-Roman Wrestling: How do they differ?

HerpDerp

ambitiously unambitious
@Black
Reaction score
Hello!

I've recently found the sport of MMA (through the TUF-series, which is a way I know often stamps you as not being a "hardcore"-fan on sherdog but just tossed it out there anyway! :cool:).

Been following the sport quite a lot, and I find myself thinking I recognize the basics of grappling in MMA (utilizing different types of BJJ-guards from the bottom, improving into a dominant position from the top etc.) while observing the sport.

One thing that has remained in the dark for me is how do different types of wrestling differ from each other in MMA? I've heard that Freestyle Wrestling relies more on shooting in for a single or a double-leg, while in comparison Greco-Roman is more clinch based and is basically stand up wrestling. I have no clue what-so-ever how Catch Wrestling works and how it's applied!

Could anyone explain to an enthusiastic fan what the main differences are? Do the 3 of these cross techniques at all or are they just plain different grappling styles? Which one would you consider to adapt the best into MMA (and what other factors could play a part in them adapting)?

If anyone with more knowledge about this took the time to actually respond, I'd really appreciate it as it would make me able to enjoy watching the sport even more! :redface:

Thanks in advance!

Back