Catch/submission wrestling in LA

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by WryDog, Jul 4, 2010.

1. WryDog White Belt

Forgive me if this sort of thing is posted too frequently but I'm going to college in LA in the fall and I was looking to get into some sort of submission grappling with strong wrestling overtones and was wondering if anyone knows of a good place in LA.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

Nope.

If you want pure NOGI, try 10th Planet. But they are far from strong wrestlers.

I would suggest a place with decent MMA, and wrestling oriented games.

VMat has a place in i believe El Segundo. If you dont want to train at all with the GI, and want good wrestling, thats the place to go.

Although, it depends where you go for school.

Where did you get in? UCLA? USC?

3. bora y Purple Belt

put a gi on, do bjj with shawn williams.

4. Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

Williams doesnt teach at HBJJ anymore FYI.

He has a temp. setup at a Judo School out there.

5. lechien Gold Belt

6. technician79 White Belt

Check out Gokor.com Home Gene Lebell teaches there and he's known as a Catch Wrestler. Good Luck!

7. Neuro Purple Belt

TS,

Depends where you are in LA. If you're in the Valley or the North Hollywood area, the guy above who said Gokor is dead on. If not, you might have to look elsewhere. Did you get into a small school there? Why not try wrestling Division III-- quite a committment I know, but if you're already in shape, and have any wrestling experience, its not the biggest jump.

If you got into UCLA, USC, etc.-- you might be SOL.

8. Neuro Purple Belt

Also, in response to this: I know Williams doesn't teach at Hollywood anymore, but do you mean that he set up a separate Judo school out there? I just want to make sure I'm reading your words correctly-- cause if so, PLEASE give me the website to his judo school immediately, since I can't seem to find it online.

New Judo school in LA would be fucking awesome.

9. bora y Purple Belt

Home Page
    i think what btt meant was that shawn is teaching his students out of a pre-existing judo school for the time being

10. WryDog White Belt

Damn, I'll be going to USC, so I guess I am SOL. I'm pretty sure they have a wrestling club, so maybe I'll join that, because I feel that my body type and attitude is more tailored for grappling with more of an emphasis on strength and dominant position.

11. KJGould Silver Belt

I don't really know how far it might be, but apart from the above mentioned Gokor, how about Erik Paulson's CSW gym in Fullerton, Orange County? Or is that too far out?

12. Neuro Purple Belt

Renzo Gracie has a school in LA? Also, I didn't see Judo on the schedule there. That's awesome Renzo has/is opening a school out there.

13. bora y Purple Belt

shawn williams is a renzo student and is opening a new school under the name renzo LA

14. WryDog White Belt

I looked it up and CSW is about forty minutes away driving. That looks like my best bet. Are they alright with taking beginners though?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  15. endurance Simply the Best

Renzo Gracie Black Belt, SHAWN WILLIAMS, is now teaching at the LA Judo Club in L.A.

Info from grapplersquest.com

I would go with Csw or Team Quest if you want a gym with a wrestling base. My brother a former wrestler gos to 10th planet from time to time and says they have some good wrestlers as well.

16. Wrestler160 Purple Belt

I've been there a couple of times for open mat with my friend. The people there are really relaxed with everyone. You're better off going to a no-gi place with in the area or Gokor because LA Traffic is horrible.

17. endurance Simply the Best

Most open mats I have been to are relaxed. Gokors team will push you very hard and its an aggressive style. Just try out 10th Planet and Gokors and see what one fits you the best.

18. catch.wrestler Orange Belt

There is Paulsons gym in Fullerton and Hayastan MMA Academy in North Hollywood. There used to be a L.A. Toehold club but I'm not sure it exists anymore.

19. technician79 White Belt

LA to Fullerton is not 40mins bro unless you're leaving around Midnight. LOL. Most of the classes at CSW are during rush hour. Gokor's the best for you if you want to learn Catch. Their classes are late so you shouldn't hit traffic no matter where you're coming from in LA.

20. Zankou Bringing peace and love Staff Member Senior Moderator

Your best bet is a great school that is VERY close to your school/home. Anything else, you are just fooling yourself. You think you are going to spend 2 hours driving 3-4 times a week (one hour each way) to train? No way in hell.