Casual fans and Connor McGOAT

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Sherwolf, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Sherwolf

Sherwolf Orange Belt

So funny story...I went over to my in-laws on Sunday and they were watching some random show and I told them to turn it to Fox Sports for the fight. The fights came on and pretty much everyone in the house, both brother in laws, father in law etc tuned out and were either on their phone or talking to each other.

We started it from the end of the Hall fight. No one paid any attention to the Cerrone v Henderson fight except for me and I kept trying to get them into it by saying Smooth is a former world champ and they fought twice before blah blah blah. Still no interest.

Then the main event starts and Conner comes out all cocky and working the crowd, all of a sudden they are like who is this little arrogant guy why is he so cocky? As he does he crazy bending and flexing in the cage, I noticed pretty much everyone was off their cell apps and tuned in to the fight. A couple of them were talking shit like this guy is going to get his ass kicked. Then the fight started and literally with every move, everyone in the house was commenting. Keep in mind, none of them have any interest in UFC. After round 1, they were like "damn, this little fucker is good". Then when he won the fight and did the jumping out of the cage shenanigans, it peaked their interest even more and every single one of them were like damn, I want to see that guy fight again.

Anyway, moral of the story is love him or hate him, McGoat moves the needle and can attract the most casual of fans. Fighters like him come around once in a great while. All you haters need to appreciate the attention he brings to the sport.

2. kurtwpg

kurtwpg Silver Belt

Also, his game is 95% standup. The casuals love that.

3. iboufring**

iboufring** Green Belt

Fun story. But stop try to convince people to like him. Haters should also stop try to convince people that he sucks! It is what it is and he is pretty good.

Aldo will still push his shit in though :)

4. IrishFighterLA

IrishFighterLA Orange Belt

Great story proving a very valid point.. The haters cant be real mma fans in my opinion because what hes doing for the sport of mma is bringing it back to life.. Attracting so much attention and new fans..

He got my wife, and her friends into it also and they had zero interest!

5. SoberAwakening

SoberAwakening Black Belt

This could be said literally about any fighter ever. Watch, I'll give it a try...

6 Feb 2011 Afghanistan early morning - It's Silva vs Belfort. A rec room full of military personnel are eating, playing video games, listening to music etc...the card is on the big screen tv. Nobody is really paying attention except for us actual MMA fans. When the Anderson vs Belfort pre-fight promo came on and people saw Anderson do his thing from previous fights, video games got paused...music got turned down...fight got turned up. When Silva landed the kick on Belfort, the whole room when nuts. People from outside of the tent were running in to see what was going on.

I can say something similar has happened for Jones, Aldo, and Weidman vs Silva II. Say what you want, but outside of the MMA world, people don't know who Conor McGregor is. Maybe if he wins the strap or something things will change. The Aldo fight will tell us everything we need to know about which way the McGregor train is going.

6. Genki Sudo II

Genki Sudo II Blue Steel Ferrari Le Tigre They're The Same Face! Banned

I was watching a Youtube video of Sudo and Butterbean in the ring of some Japanese org that escapes me and my non-sports family peered over my shoulder and saw a lily white tub of a man - was enamored by him - and asked who he was.

I said "Butterbean's the name, doing freakshow's his game" They were so singly focused and impressed at how a such a large man can still be mobile. Granted, he lost, they have since not forgotten who this wonder of the world was and applauded his effort and willingness to put his dignity on the line to entertain the fans.

They have followed him since.

All you haters need to respect that about Butterbean. Fighters like him only come around once in a blue moon.

7. morose

morose Purple Belt

even the haters are aware of this, i'm willing to bet the "haters" actually hate his dickriders who think it's a good idea to make threads like this on a regular basis way more than they do Conor, I know I feel that way.

you guys are such cringe. making me want to facepalm forever.

8. bullfish

bullfish Green Belt

i dig this. and I can picture that happening.

9. Russ82

Russ82 Green Belt

This. I love the way Connor fights. I want to see him lose though so that the constant goat threads will go away.

10. morose

morose Purple Belt

ts logic: oh you hate conor huh hating-ass fans? well how about appreciating something he offers that essentially affects you the least and may even have adverse effects on your enjoyment of MMA depending on your priorities?

11. Steve-French

Steve-French What A Rush!!!

Agreed. I like watching McGregor fight, but I tend to root against him because of threads like these. The man crush some of you guy's have is just strait up unhealthy.

McHype has the same effect on Sherdog neck-beards as the Beatles had on American teenage girls in the 1960's.

[YT]4ZiYzze6qwE[/YT]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  12. schwe30

schwe30 Black Belt

Goddamn I hate when people use personal stories like this to prove anything.

Are they gonna buy his PPV against Aldo?

13. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

Funny. I watched it at work with a few guys who used to casually watch.

I found it a bit embarrassing to be honest and they thought he was a bit silly.

They were however impressed with the actual fight, casuals love a brutal mismatch.

14. Mattitude V1

Mattitude V1 WAR CONDIT

The McGregor train is going upwards. He gets bigger and bigger every day in the United States. He's a rising star. There isn't any question about that.

15. Mixed

Mixed Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Fixed. In mentioning that Conor has a similiar effect to Jones, Aldo, Weidman, Anderson, you are only strengthening the case for Conor's legitimacy.

Conor is electrifying. It's undeniable.

16. Genki Sudo II

Genki Sudo II Blue Steel Ferrari Le Tigre They're The Same Face! Banned

This.

I can't wait for him to be paired up with the likes of Swanson, Stephens, Mendes, Lamas, Guida. He's awesome for the division and the sport.

But his annoying trolls/homers are unbearable at times and the only way to shut them up and gain some grounded-ness for once is for some one to slap him (McG) silly initially and every once in awhile.

Come back to normal fandom levels if you will

17. JAGDPANZER209

JAGDPANZER209 STONED TO THE BONE

So acting like a douche and being insulting draws attention of the average know-nothing person?

18. Drinii

Drinii Blue Belt

wont lie i sometimes try force my older sister which is doctor to watch ufc.. and she was interested and enjoyed seeing anderson silva fight... but conner is the only fighter where shes actually like omg thats gonna be a crazy fight, everytime a new fight is announced..

anyway aldo via first round ko

19. Which Doctor

Which Doctor The ATT Heel Stable/Faction Belt

#mybusiness w/ Heenan, Bockwinkle, & Covington
    Dr. Sis wants a bowl of that Goat Water.

20. Moral Victory

Moral Victory Black Belt

Been there, i can't comprehend why no one but me likes it :/