Cases of genuine hate between fighters before and after?

It literally is a game. There's even points if you can't get a finish.

We are playing who can shut each others brain off first. Or who can hit the other more. Or who can make the other tap.

How is it not a game?
Ehhh..id say that it depends on the individual. You got guys like the Diaz bros, Diego, and Wanderlei that literally think they are going to war and are trying to take your head off, and then there are people that do treat it like a very physical game of chess.

The only time fighting isn't a game is when its on the street, happens unexpectedly and neither guy knows whether the other has any intention of stopping once the other is out.

Whenever you agree to a contest, even if it's not a sanctioned fight, even if its out on a park somewhere, it becomes a game.
I doubt the majority of fighters would use the term "game" when describing fights besides maybe like chess game.

And I'll be damned if I fight on the street and treat it like a game.

It still brings interest when a fight happens with genuine animosity between the fighters.

I know it does, but my question is why?

Why are mma fans weirdos like that?

Why can't they just get excited that 2 of the best in the world are competing against each other in the sport that they love, like normal ppl who watch other sports do?

Why does there need to be an added drama element for MMA fans to get excited about the sport they claim to love?

Joe Riggs and Nick Diaz continued their fight in the hospital

I doubt the majority of fighters would use the term "game" when describing fights besides maybe like chess game.

And I'll be damned if I fight on the street and treat it like a game.

You can "treat" it however you want, it's still a game at the end of the day.

Anything is a game if you are competing to be better than someone else.

If you and your friend stand next to each other and compete who can spit further, that's a game too.

Basically, any competiton is a game. Even real war, with firearms, IMO. Just a very dangerous game with severe consequences.

Why can't they just get excited that 2 of the best in the world are competing against each other I'm the sport that they love, like normal ppl who watch other sports do?

Why does there need to be an added drama element for MMA fans to get excited about the sport they claim to love?
well, one, no one is saying everyone enjoys it, like you, but I mean I dont see why people love conors persona but others do. I just think to the casual they see 2 fighters having real beef, they believe they both are gonna go hard as hell at each other. I know people who never watched mma before talking about DC vs Jones.

Kinda like how WWE is popular. That's why the ufc is great tho, we have everything from GSP, holly Holm, mighty mouse, to chael, conor or even a dude nick named "Uncle creepy"

Idk why people want to see fighters who hate each other.

Why's that exciting for you?

Why don't people in other sports like tennis or basketball care about watching people who hate each other play?

Probably because it makes for a better fight. People who hate each other in other sports would likely lose focus on the game and it would be worse in comparison.

You can "treat" it however you want, it's still a game at the end of the day.

Anything is a game if you are competing to be better than someone else.

If you and your friend stand next to each other and compete who can spit further, that's a game too.

Basically, any competiton is a game. Even real war, with firearms, IMO. Just a very dangerous game with severe consequences.
I get what you're saying my man, I just personally wouldn't call the extreme spectrum of what you qualify as a game, and more or less different than a game, especially real world but that's just a whole different reason as to why.

The thing is, generally combat sports and animosity(really any emotion imo) is more important than traditional cause losing in mma is getting your ass whipped in one shape or form, and probably the most injury prone (pseudo)sport.

Probably because it makes for a better fight. People who hate each other in other sports would likely lose focus on the game and it would be worse in comparison.

Same exact thing happens in fighting.

Aldo hated Conor, lost focus and got slept in 10 seconds.

Jones and DC hated each other, both played it somewhat safe because neither wanted to lose. Especially not in devastating fashion. So it was somewhat lackluster.

GSP said Nick deserved to be beat down for what he said, then he laid on top of him for 25 mins. Didn't wanna risk losing to a guy like Nick.

Cruz and TJ didn't like each other. That just made TJ fight reckless and abandon his game plan to headhunt, whereas if he stayed focused he could have possibly picked Cruz apart.

Why can't they just get excited that 2 of the best in the world are competing against each other in the sport that they love, like normal ppl who watch other sports do?

It's not an MMA thing, or a WWE thing, or even a sports thing. ..it's a human thing. Humans like stories. Any good story of any genre will sell. It's no different in the fight game.
Story or no story, I enjoy a good fight between 2 skilled competitors, but Id be lying if I said that a backstory didn't make it a bit sweeter

Cruz to Faber, though Faber didn't seem to care much.

It's not an MMA thing, or a WWE thing, or even a sports thing. ..it's a human thing. Humans like stories. Any good story of any genre will sell. It's no different in the fight game.
Story or no story, I enjoy a good fight between 2 skilled competitors, but Id be lying if I said that a backstory didn't make it a bit sweeter

The best thing that I ever learned from martial arts was that you don't have to be angry to be efficient in a fight.

In fact, anger will only hurt your efficiency.

If you're angry, then you are distracted from your task, and your task is to shut down the CNS of the guy standing in front of you.

That's the only thing that should really be on your mind: "What are the most efficient movements I can make to shut down this guy's CNS before he has a chance to shut down mine."

Everything else is a distraction.

The best thing that I ever learned from martial arts was that you don't have to be angry to be efficient in a fight.

In fact, anger will only hurt your efficiency.

If you're angry, then you are distracted from your task, and your task is to shut down the CNS of the guy standing in front of you.

That's the only thing that should really be on your mind: "What are the most efficient movements I can make to shut down this guy's CNS before he has a chance to shut down mine."

Everything else is a distraction.
I agree, and got that same lesson from boxing. Being angry doesn't stop you from getting your ass kicked by a better fighter. Anger and hate are wastes of energy because usually the person you're mad at doesn't give a fuck. Concentrating on how to win is a more efficient use of energy, but, emotion, heart, grit, whatever you want to call it...it can sometimes over take skill, or throw your opponent off their game plan. It was never my style when I fought, but I do get it.

Yeah...Conor and Nate don't hate each other. They have a pretty healthy rivalry. They won't be buds anytime soon, but they don't dislike each other. There is hespect there

Idk why people want to see fighters who hate each other.

Why's that exciting for you?

Why don't people in other sports like tennis or basketball care about watching people who hate each other play?

I do. Basketball programs like GTown/Syracuse in the '80s-'90s and Duke/UNC have pretty heated rivalries that have resulted in many, many fist fights through the years. And when anyone discusses basketball rivalries, those two are usually brought up first because they hate each other so much. Shoot, back then, the entire Big East was basically the UFC with a basketball.

Last edited:
Back