Cases of disease spread through grappling?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by IamnotJonFitch, Aug 27, 2015.

1. IamnotJonFitch

IamnotJonFitch Green Belt

Just curious if anyone has gotten one or knows of any cases.

Today I bled everywhere, got an open wound on my finger and two on my toes, etc. It was spider guard day, so lots of guy's hands bled. Kind of weirded me out...

I obviously covered up with a band aid but in rolling it eventually came off, and I didn't even notice my toes.

Anyways, any one here gotten any blood spread diseases from cases like this?

2. Higus

Higus Gold Belt

Just tell your gf how you really got herpes, dude.

3. TheGZA

TheGZA Excellent! But not good.

Yes, honesty is very important in relationships.

4. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

Why does spider guard make your hands bleed? Geez.

5. Russky

Russky Green Belt

Friend of mine was thinking the same thing when he decided to tell everything to his wife.

It's all spreading through bjj, have no doubts.

6. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

I got an STD once grappling with a guy in the back of a station wagon.

7. IamnotJonFitch

IamnotJonFitch Green Belt

8. QingTian

QingTian Purple Belt

Buy a roll of athletic tape and a bottle of Nu Skin. Then you don't need to worry anymore.

9. mrsenor

mrsenor Black Belt

staph, herpes, hpv

10. Kozbot

Kozbot Purple Belt

I do remember reading a story about herpes being transmitted via wrestling tournament circa 2008

11. mrsenor

mrsenor Black Belt

12. RTD1

RTD1 Blue Belt

Caught the Ebola once, most likely from some Liberian dude visiting our gym. Luckily they were able to get us a bunch of that experimental serum so we nipped it in the bud pretty quickly. Let me tell you though, rolling while you're bleeding from your eyeballs is no fun at all.

13. DCnMO

DCnMO Orange Belt

I've had staph infection once, and cellulitous twice. Only once was it directly related to grappling.

Here's what I've learned. DO NOT pick at, or squeeze the infected area. Leave it the hell alone. You will definitely make things worse by poking and prodding. Saturate the affected area with Neosporin. Apply neosporin to the raised area, and the surrounding inflamed area.

Neosporin isn't supposed to treat such things, but it seems to have worked for me. Anytime I get a raised bump with a pus filled head, I keep it coated with neosporin. Lo and behold, I haven't been to urgent care since.

I'm dealing with some kind of skin infection now. I halfway wondered if I'd been bitten by a brown recluse. I've ruled that out though, as I'd have a gaping wound on my arm by this time (over 48hrs since I noticed the affected area). Whatever this infection is, it has not advanced. I've avoided picking at it, and kept it coated with neosperin.

One other thing... If you do have a staph infection, keep the wound covered and wash your hands frequently. Staph spreads like wildfire, you got do what you can to keep form spreading it.

14. PayPerView

PayPerView Orange Belt

Anecdote:

I never once got a cold sore until I started grappling. Since I started, I've gotten one just about every year.

15. Supereem

Supereem Black Belt

You make it sound like it is a rare and really unfortunate incident. Herpes is spread through all human contact, and over 90% of people will have contracted Herpes Simplex type 1 by the age of 50. It has been spread through grappling for years. Most people are either asymptomatic or don't recognize their symptoms due to mildness.

At the end of the day it is a harmless condition (small chance of some complications but you have a higher chance of getting eaten by a shark) that was overblown in the 80s when HIV made STDs the scariest thing on Earth.

Supposedly if they do the herpselect blood test for type 2 (commonly genital) 1/4 females and 1/6 males will test positive and 90% will have had no idea they carried the strain.

As far as I know I don't have any of the HSV strains, but I feel for those who have it and get stigmatized for what is really no reason at all.

Also in regards to the TS's question, I wouldn't worry about catching anything. Sure, it is possible to catch all sorts of nasty shit, but at the end of the day youl do yourself more harm by worrying. I mentioned in another thread that I was a legit hypochondriac and this sort of stuff can drive you absolutely crazy if you dwell on it.

I good quote I found on a Rickson Gracie picture (not sure if he said it) was "Your fears don't stop death, they stop life". Very wise words to live by if you worry constantly like myself.