Case Study - Frequent Chokes in MMA May Lead to Chronic Brain Injury

It's really a shame that it's become common practice for websites to print shit like this and portray it as new medical findings, when in reality it's just someones THEORY. As of now, there's no science to back up these claims.

well thank god being choked out and losing by submission aren't necessarily the same thing

Hang on, are you saying that starving the brain of oxygen can lead to brain damage?

Fuck, if only someone already knew that...

Still, Sherbros think anyone who taps is a pussy.

This is why crazy bitches love to get choked.

<TheWire1>

I learned something.

Me and a few friends used to choke ourselves out to sleep during frat party's.

Were these blood chokes or air chokes??

I used to know a guy who could hold his breath so long that he would lose consciousness. Most people can't do this due to the incredible discomfort and anxiety that must be consciously endured prior to full loss of consciousness.

But a blood choke is entirely different. It is an essentially painless journey into black out.

Seems very rare that the blood supply is cut off long enough to do much damage. I think you will find that in most cases involving brain damage from loss of cardio-pulmonary function, there was longer term shutdown of oxygen to the brain than you will typically see in BJJ or MMA. The heart and lungs of these guys are actually working. Big difference.
Of course anything can be taken to the extreme. Isn't there a case where an MMA fighter was convicted of murder via Rear-naked choke?

Weird bjj guys do that shit forever. Idk I just don’t see it imo, are swimmers and free divers brain damaged ? And they hold their breath way more than bjj practice or competition

With simply holding your breath, though, you're still getting oxygen to the brain, as least as long as you're not passing out (which I have to assume swimmers and divers avoid). The damage probably comes from actually going unconscious, which happens when the brain has no oxygen at all.

When I did Judo it happened regularly that you'd get choked out during sparring. You were also constantly running around with strangulation marks around the neck because of the plenty Gi chokes and people would look at you strange lol. Well good I'm into point karate now. Ain't bout that brain damage time.

I'm not reading all that shit but how to you control for impact-trauma in combat sports athletes?

And in other news free divers are holding their breath for over 22 minutes,, That means they can last longer than a 3 round fight without air..............

Back