Carmont's grappling

Raff01**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don't know what you guys thought, and despite the justbleeder's boos, Carmont's grappling and wrestling is starting to look like its been taken to another level.
The timing of the takedowns, the style of it all, the controll on the ground, you could feel GSP's mentoring.
Given Carmont's an outstanding striker and originally a muay thai kickboxer and has shown good submissions and BJJ, I feel he could become a real force in the division if his wrestling keeps improving.
Philipou had beaten Boetsch and was supposed to be world ranked, Carmont completely shut him down.
Thoughts?

I still can believe he got the win of LArkin....This guy is horrible to watch....

I still can believe he got the win of LArkin....This guy is horrible to watch....

I think that's where the ill will comes from. He's a chore to watch, and has been gifted truly bad (not Jones-Gus 'bad', truly bad) decisions.

His grappling is good but I think he needs to work on his striking. Most people seem to give him a hard time standing.

Striking defense needs work, but most of all, the 2 fights where he got lucky decisions were more of a matter of him being lazy and doing too little.

He lost to Tom Lawlor so yeah this was a huge improvement for sure.

He needs to take more chances and posture for strikes. The guy has a fuckton of power and refuses to use it because he's scared of losing position. I would prefer to never see him fight again.

I'm pissed off that he got the win vs Larkin, I really dislike his style and I'm disappointed in Costa I don't think I will ever become a fan of his

He looked like he was trying to copy GSP who probably trained a lot with him. Solid grappling for sure, but late in the fight he could probably have used his standup more.

I'm glad all the stupid Costa hype can now go away.

I've been saying for some time that he's one of the most overrated fighters currently in the UFC. There were actually posters clamoring for a Bisping fight so he could decimate The Count.

If you're not convinced after last night that Costa isn't overrated & has nothing for fighters of Bisping's caliber, then you don't understand what you're watching.

Carmont confuses people because he looks like Anderson Silva but fights like Mike Pierce.

That guy has had horrible fights and gift decisions. Even the Canadians were pissed. You can see in his style that he trains with GSP. Carmont will lose to top guys badly.

Costa's win over Boetsch which got him top 10 spot wasn't legit either.

He has substantially improved his takedown ability. Doesn't make him fun to watch, but at least he can win because he's succesful at takedowns and not failing them.

Thoughts?
I thought that was easily the most boring fight on that card simply because of Carmont's wrestlefucking.
I don't get it. He's supposed to be a gifted striker and now when he has found God in GSP he decides to throw all that away and wants to win fights by holding opponents down and throwing arm punches at them? Despicable.

Back