Carlson Gracie Jr Interview

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by tf, Aug 16, 2010.

1. tf

tf Inside BJJ Podcast

2. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

great interview. I like his opinion about his requirements on "they deserve".

3. J Sho

J Sho Green Belt

Nice stuff.

The columnist's nickname is spelt mamute (iirc) in portuguese by the way.

4. MickCollins

MickCollins O Soto Seanzito

Junior rules.

[​IMG]

Wee Junior in his Gi

5. JNick

JNick Orange Belt

Interesting read. Does he mean great fighters cannot be great teachers?

6. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

I highly, highly doubt that is what he meant. 99% sure he means great fighters do not automatically make great coaches. You can be both, but being one doesn't mean you are the other. I.E. im MMA Greg Jackson is a great coach, but not a great fighter. Pat Militich is both a great coach and fighter. BJ Penn is a great fighter, but I saw an interview where he says he doesn't really like teaching, so he leaves that to Charuto.

7. Ninjamurf

Ninjamurf Handing out lollipops for over 3 decades

Can anyone post the interview or is it too long? It keeps trying to open some java script which gets blocked here at work?

8. bnosam

bnosam Green Belt

There you go, Ninjamurf.

9. Escabar

Escabar Brown Belt

Cheers for posting the interview.

10. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I am actually surprised that no one complained by his statement:

"Inside BJJ
    What do you think the difference between Carlson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and other Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) styles? What sets it apart from the others?

Carlson Gracie Jr
    I think my dad is the innovator of making Jiu-Jitsu a part of the Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) style. Carlson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is very close to MMA. I think that’s the difference between our style and others. You can use it to fight MMA. It was proved by the fighters that fought for my father. We’ve had a bunch of Jiu-Jitsu fighters that have fought MMA. That’s how Jiu-Jitsu became famous in America."

11. Amiro

Amiro Orange Belt

12. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

because lately some of Helio sons have been talking about their true JJ and self defense and their dis-content versus sport JJ.

while, Carlson Gracie jnr is talking about his Dad JJ which can be used for MMA.

Just interesting to read different point of views and the reaction of the public about them.

13. Vector_X

Vector_X Brown Belt

Jr. is a great guy. The statement about his style of BJJ being well suited for MMA is kind of hard to explain but I guess I would tend to agree, albeit I'm a bit biased. The reasoning is that his style really isn't very flashy at all and is more of a grinding rough style that does seem to translate well.

14. Jdonw

Jdonw Green Belt

Well I think Carlson and Jr. both think about jiu jitsu as fighting and what is going to work in fights. If you are going to do bjj tournaments you're going to learn things that will work. If you are going to fight mma your learning gets directed to what works for that. I've heard about one of Sr's black belts that a cop, so he got taught all the "dirty" moves because it fit his situation. My point is they find what works regardless of style and teach you what's effective.

15. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Great read, thanks for posting.

16. bigraydaddy1

bigraydaddy1 Guest

I don't think Helio's side would get offended, because to them MMA is sport, not a real life self defense. Of course we saw how well their self defense worked when Royce got raped by Hughes.

Jr. is cool as hell.

17. kingwilly

kingwilly Yellow Belt

Lol, that's funny. Royce is lucky Matt Hughes isn't gay. Royce must've been absent the day Rorion shot Rape Safe(TM)...

ttt for Junior.

18. mat worm

mat worm Yellow Belt

Jr told me once that if you got into a real fight and you ended on top of the guy in good position, you wouldn't try to submit him, you would beat their face in. HAHAHA.

19. Il Wop-O

Il Wop-O Green Belt

Yeah. Royce's BJJ sucks because he got beat by a younger, stronger, more athletic, legendarily dominant UFC champion with dominating wrestling skills and a thorough understanding of submission grappling.

Idiot.

And Lechien, I always thought it was just kind of common knowledge that Carlson's branch of BJJ was more athletic, aggressive, top-game oriented and more geared for vale tudo. I would be surprised if too many people were upset by that statement of Jr's.

20. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Well, Carlson Sr. was a fighter. His students were fighters. He taught some top notch sport competitors, but his lineage always seemed very Vale Tudo and MMA oriented. I don't think there are tremendous differences in the technique to be honest, though. I just think Carlson placed an emphasis on fighting.