Careers In Music

marty182

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Sup, ill try and keep it as interesting and short as possible.

I want to know if anyone here has a career in the music industry whether it be a performer a sound tech or work in a instrument shop, and if so how you like it and if you completed any other education for your jobs.

The reasons why i am asking is because recently due to injury i need to re evaluate my career and due to outside forces of extreme pressure (girlfriend, family, friends) ive hit a slump in my search for jobs as my injury pretty much makes me a high risk employee for anyone with common sense.

So i thought to myself what makes me happy? What am i passionate about? What can make a shit day slightly better? And that was music. I studied music all of high school and came in the top 3 in my school for the HSC ( the Australian equivalent of SATs i think), and ive also played guitar for over 11 years, and have some interesting skills that require a good ear.

So ive looked up some courses and have found a great learning path for me to follow and im 100% in.

What have you mayberry, help a brother out with your wisdom and advice please. :icon_chee

It's probably the worst time ever to get in the music business. The record industry is dead and bands support themselves through touring. This limits jobs to things like roadies or sound technicians for live shows and chances are, those are going to go to friends of bands.

For other sound related jobs, you could work in a music shop but you are looking at pretty poor pay and it wouldn't really be a career. Sound engineers are one of the few well paying jobs but the competition is going to be tough and you are going to need a degree for it.

Sorry to be a downer but making a career is music in the pits these days.

Thanks for your response. I mean i know that music today is hopeless and its more who is better with money etc however i think its just one of those things i need to do. Even if its shit atleast i tried to follow some kind of passion once haha

Be sure to write your disability on a piece of cardboard for extra tips.

cover-dtm-robert.jpg

In my opinion, it's a decent way to go. The only thing is, its not super great pay. I have a few friends that make their living just on music. They are constantly gigging/teaching. You don't have to "make it" to have a decent career in music. It's the same with any job, gotta work hard. I went to MI down in Hollywood and that was the big point the teachers drove home. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

thanks man. I most likley will be looking to enhance my skills and not just play on the street^^^ or gig but move into some other area of employment.

There's a member that posts frequently around here that might be able to give you some good advice. I think his user name is sevensamurai or something like that.

Also, read So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star by Jacob Slichter for a humorous but informative look at at the music industry.

I think it depends on what specifically you want to do. If you plan to create your own music and try to make money off it, I think now is a better time then ever because of the internet and online stores you have much better access/opportunities to get your music out there and make money. You don't need a music label or radio to get your music heard. But right off the bat don't expect to be making Anderson Silva money, you'll have to keep a main working gig to make ends meet but as you get more well know you can get paid more. There's people making videos on youtube who do it as their full time jobs, I mean if your music is good/bad if you get enough exposure and get consistent web clicks you can make some real money.

Not too sure on the main career sorry, but to help bring in some money on the side, have you thought about providing guitar tuition ? An hour tuition ,with someone with as much experience as you have, over here costs roughly

A guy I know does music tutoring as his main form of income but he has a strong educational background and experience in classical guitar so he can charge top dollar for his skills. But he's mainly looking for a head teaching gig at a private or college. But I imagine if you put out some adds you can make decent money for lessons, I don't know what your musical background is but people want to learn and not all of them can afford training from a phd.

I've seen people waste money on Full Sail tuition. You could probably save money by doing YouTube tutorials and making friends with people in the industry

explore your music experience in the subways

You could probably make a few quid teaching private lessons, though I doubt it'd be enough to make it a career. Or just become a music teacher?

Back