Care to check my Deadlift?

All I see is white... was there a blizzard there?

I will check it out at home...

I'm not sure, but I think your hips aren't low enough when you start thus making you pull with your back instead of pushin your hips forward.

But don't shoot me when I'm wrong

I'm not sure, but I think your hips aren't low enough when you start thus making you pull with your back instead of pushin your hips forward.

But don't shoot me when I'm wrong

I think the issue is it looks like the plates he is using are smaller than the olympic sized 45 lb plates, making it a deficit deadlift.

Now that you mention it... Maybe he should raise the bar by putting something underneath the plates?!

I've watched the video 6 times now. I noticed it would be benefical if you lower your hips a little bit I realize this is tricky because from the looks of it and as stated before you have small plates on that bar, which obviously means your deficit deadlifting. Also you seem to be using your back a little bit in this specific lift video, try keepign the back a little more vertical through the lift by squeezing glutes and hamstrings.

Wait for better advise than these, there are some knowledgeable posters in here.

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a noob DL Question that doesn't deserve it's own thread: is it called a deficit deadlift because of a deficit in weight, or because of the bars position relative to the ground (pulling it up from a height deficit)?

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a noob DL Question that doesn't deserve it's own thread: is it called a deficit deadlift because of a deficit in weight, or because of the bars position relative to the ground (pulling it up from a height deficit)?

The second one.

Your setup is all wrong. Your chest is beyond the bar, that's bad. You need to lift more from the legs.

Next time, try this: Place your foot a little wide than shoulder width apart, shins about 4 inches away from the bar. The bar should be above the middle of your foot. It's hard to see from above, so check it in a mirror. Then, almost without bending your legs, bend over and grap the bar with straight arms just outside your legs, like a stiff legged deadlift. Then, bend your legs until your shins touch the bar. From that position, lift your chest up and arch your back, and lift. Some people need to drop their butt a little bit before lifting the chest and arching the back, some people don't, so you got to try that for yourself to see what feels good. When the bar passes your knees, finish the lift by moving your hips forward.

If you got problems with arching your back and/or lifting your chest, try to look at a spot a little higher then you on the wall instead of straight forward. Your chest will follow your head, and if you look up, your chest will go up as well. If you have troubles staying tight throughout the lift, try to hold your breath until the bar has passed your knees. So set-up, take a deep breath, lift, and exhale when the bar passes your knees.

You can learn a lot from watching this clip:

Last edited:
Towards the end of the lift, try to thrust your hips forward more (more glute activation as well). It looks like you're not completely locked out when you drop the bar.

Otherwise, the lift looks fine to me.

Your setup is all wrong. Your chest is beyond the bar, that's bad. You need to lift more from the legs.

Next time, try this: Place your foot a little wide than shoulder width apart, shins about 4 inches away from the bar. The bar should be above the middle of your foot. It's hard to see from above, so check it in a mirror. Then, almost without bending your legs, bend over and grap the bar with straight arms just outside your legs, like a stiff legged deadlift. Then, bend your legs until your shins touch the bar. From that position, lift your chest up and arch your back, and lift. Some people need to drop their butt a little bit before lifting the chest and arching the back, some people don't, so you got to try that for yourself to see what feels good. When the bar passes your knees, finish the lift by moving your hips forward.

If you got problems with arching your back and/or lifting your chest, try to look at a spot a little higher then you on the wall instead of straight forward. Your chest will follow your head, and if you look up, your chest will go up as well. If you have troubles staying tight throughout the lift, try to hold your breath until the bar has passed your knees. So set-up, take a deep breath, lift, and exhale when the bar passes your knees.

You can learn a lot from watching this clip:

I think you might want to rewatch that video.

I think you might want to rewatch that video.

Some people prefer a narrow stance, I prefer a little wider than shoulder width. That's personal preference. That's not the most important part of the lift.

My plates are a bit smaller than olympic plates so I have to get lower, but instead of squatting down a little with back straight, I bend over. I will fix that.

@Jim, good vid, thanx. I dont like wider stance, but its not that important. I will implement other suggestions.

@turbozed, I had some problems with arching my back with weight, so now maybe I dont even stand up straight with it as a precaution, but I dont think I could not do it.

Some people prefer a narrow stance, I prefer a little wider than shoulder width. That's personal preference. That's not the most important part of the lift.

It most certainly does matter if you are giving advice on a conventional deadlift. What you are recommending is some weird sumo/conventional hybrid. You don't even mention that this would require you to take a grip with your arms in between your legs, unless you are going to put them outside the legs and make the lift longer and harder.

Actually rereading your post you say to put the arms just outside the legs, which means with a slightly wider than shoulder width stance would make the deadlift much longer and harder. Terrible advice. If you insist on doing it with a wider stance it would be wise to take a grip with your arms on the inside of your legs. Well that is if you care about how much you can deadlift. Wide grip deadlifts are a useful assistance lift for building the upper back.

Last edited:
It most certainly does matter if you are giving advice on a conventional deadlift. What you are recommending is some weird sumo/conventional hybrid. You don't even mention that this would require you to take a grip with your arms in between your legs, unless you are going to put them outside the legs and make the lift longer and harder.

Actually rereading your post you say to put the arms just outside the legs, which means with a slightly wider than shoulder width stance would make the deadlift much longer and harder. Terrible advice. If you insist on doing it with a wider stance it would be wise to take a grip with your arms on the inside of your legs. Well that is if you are about how much you can deadlift. Wide grip deadlifts are a useful assistance lift for building the upper back.

+1.

And TS, chest up and maybe drop the hips a bit. Also, just before you lift, it looks like you bend your elbow slightly. Make sure you keeps your elbows locked and squeeze the bar off of the floor. Push through your heels. Don't jerk the bar.

Actually rereading your post you say to put the arms just outside the legs, which means with a slightly wider than shoulder width stance would make the deadlift much longer and harder. Terrible advice. If you insist on doing it with a wider stance it would be wise to take a grip with your arms on the inside of your legs. Well that is if you care about how much you can deadlift. Wide grip deadlifts are a useful assistance lift for building the upper back.

Feet a little wider than shoulder width apart is something else than a sumo stance. I have more power if I stand a little wider than shoulder with apart, still with my arms outside of my legs. There is no need to grip the bar between your legs like when you're doing a sumo deadlift. I care about how much I deadlift, and my numbers are good, trust me. You are saying that a little wider than shoulder width grip makes the deadlift longer? Ofcourse not. You're pretending that I advised him to grip the bar as wide as possible, but I just recommended that he stands a little wider than in this video.

You are saying that a little wider than shoulder width grip makes the deadlift longer? Ofcourse not.

Any time you do a deadlift with your arms outside of straight up and down from your shoulders, the deadlift gets longer by definition, because your top position will be higher than what your top position would be if your arms were straight up and down.

Feet a little wider than shoulder width apart is something else than a sumo stance. I have more power if I stand a little wider than shoulder with apart, still with my arms outside of my legs. There is no need to grip the bar between your legs like when you're doing a sumo deadlift. I care about how much I deadlift, and my numbers are good, trust me. You are saying that a little wider than shoulder width grip makes the deadlift longer? Ofcourse not. You're pretending that I advised him to grip the bar as wide as possible, but I just recommended that he stands a little wider than in this video.

Of course feet a little wider than shoulder width is something different than a sumo stance. A sumo stance is much wider. That is why I called it a weird sumo/conventional hybrid. Why do you think the bar is gripped in between the legs in a sumo deadlift as opposed to outside of them? It's because if you grabbed the bar outside of your legs it makes the deadlift much longer thus much harder. This is a fact. A grip which has your arms straight up and down makes the pull shorter than a wider grip which doesn't. This is why taking a grip outside of your legs with a wider than shoulder width stance is harder and longer. If your feet are wider than shoulder width it is impossible to take a grip outside of the legs and have your arms straight up and down.

Back