Cardio with added weights

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Noodles03, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Noodles03

Noodles03 Green Belt

I'm curious to know if any form of activity done at a high intensity with an added weight is superior way of doing cardio. Let say for example, hill sprints with a weighted vest. With the added weight its obvious that your speed would diminish a bit, but would that still offer more of benefit way of training compare to sprinting at a faster pace with out the added weight? I would like to hear your guys opinion.

2. Grappleboxing

Grappleboxing Brown Belt

Don't do any running or jogging with the extra weight. This is a surefire way to mess up your joints.

That said, if you wanted to walk with a loaded backpack or something like that, that is fine. Search up rucking, that might be something up your alley.

Just, please don't run with heavy weights.

KnightTemplar and Brampton_Boy like this.
  3. YukisHeart

YukisHeart Brown Belt

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  4. gspieler

gspieler Silver Belt

Other than hiking/backpacking, I'd avoid it.

5. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

Bad, bad idea. Running, even short sprints uphill, puts enough stress on your joints. Adding any extra weight is just asking for trouble. Wendler specifically states that the weight vest should not be used for hill sprints. He advises simply walking while wearing it.