Cardio that doesn't use your legs?

encore_

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is there a good form of cardio I can do that won't burn my legs in between heavy lifting days? I'm currently doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program which has squats every workout, but I'd like to do some cardio in between each workout. The problem is that I find if I run, or bike or something that my legs don't get enough time to recover in between the next lifting session. I tried rowing, but is there anything else? I prefer something HIIT or Tabata based if possible.

Thanks

Ummmmm......

sit in a chair and hit the boxing bag?

Try Tabata's on the rowing machine, Airdyne bike, elliptical, or Versaclimber (definitely most intense). They'll all use legs to some degree, but without the impact of running. Also, if you're gym has an incline training treadmill (i.e., 30-50% incline), you can do low-impact walking Tabata's at a slow pace on a super high incline. 30% at 3mph usually gets my HR 160-170bpm, without pounding my knees and joints.

about the only thing i can thing of that uses zero legs would be go buy a racing wheelchair.

I'd say swimming as well, but depending on your diet I'd up the calories.

It's a problem fitting cardio around heavy lifting - the best thing you can do IMO is just press on, take the pain and adapt. You will eventually get to a level at which you'll be running decent sprint sessions the day after max squat or dl day.

Until then, heavy bag rounds, jump rope, burpees and cleverly-structured complexes/circuit training would be my suggestions.

You could do an upper body circuit. Although that is more muscle endurance, it still is cardio as well.

Swim, preferably freestyle with your arms only. It's a method for focusing on arms movement and conditioning by, you never would've guessed: swimmers!
For staying horizontal in the water use one of those between your thighs

pull_buoy.jpg

It's a problem fitting cardio around heavy lifting - the best thing you can do IMO is just press on, take the pain and adapt. You will eventually get to a level at which you'll be running decent sprint sessions the day after max squat or dl day.

Until then, heavy bag rounds, jump rope, burpees and cleverly-structured complexes/circuit training would be my suggestions.

+1

But I'd go as far to say just get on with it.

You're adaption won't be 100% with the lifting but you will adapt better overall then if you do one without the other (I used to squat in the am on, thai box in the pm and do a 3 miler as soon as I got in and I was fine...although the next day I would have off to recover)

What use is the padded appurtenance mounted on the top? Is it for headbutt practice?

^^^^

If you use correct technique.

But a lot of people swim with their upper bodys and don't know how to co-ordinate their legs

What use is the padded appurtenance mounted on the top? Is it for headbutt practice?
Its a pool boy

Swimmers use it to remove their legs from the equation when swimming

lol

swimming doesnt put as much stress on your legs

I used to have this similar problem. As I suggested earlier, I suggested an upper body circuit. Again, that focuses more on muscle endurance though. I used to avoid running, jumping rope, etc. the day after squats but now it doesn't bother me. Slowly work into it by doing things that don't wear out your legs too much. For example, jumping rope never makes my legs very sore. If I have any soreness it's focused on my calves. Same thing with shadowboxing or the Bas Rutten cds. You can probably gradually work up to burpees and then running. Your body will get used to it eventually.

You might try an UBE machine. It's pretty much like a handbike like the wheelchair picture from before. They're really effective, but it's usually pretty hard to find a gym that has one.

Swimming drains your legs quicker than running...

Swimming drains your entire body. At least it does for me. If I was doing squats every lifting session I'd much rather jump in a pool as an option than run if burning out my legs was the issue.

Back