Cardio/Lifting Alternation

teknos1s

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi - First i should let my goal be known. I am not trying to get HUGE - rather im looking to be about 170-180 (which i am now) of lean muscle and very low body fat %. check out my workout plan and critique (if u have one) please - or add your two cents.

Day 1 (LIFT)
Jump rope: Jump for 2 minutes, stop for 1 - Repeat 3x
Chest (Bench, Incline dumbbell, Decline Dumbell) - 6x6x6x6x6
Triceps (Weighted Dips, Pulldowns, Over heads) - 6x6x6x6
Jump rope: Jump for 2 minutes, stop for 1. - Repeat 5x

Day 2 (CARDIO)
Run: 2 miles
Knee highs: 30s - Down and ups: 30s - Kneed highs: 30s - Down and ups: 30s. Rest 1 minute, then repeat 4x.

Day 3 (LIFT)
Wide grip pull ups (Till exhaustion): 4x
Close grip pull ups (Till exhaustion): 4x
Seated row: 6x6x6x6
Seated pulldown (wide): 6x6x6x6
Seated pulldown (close): 6x6x6x6
Dumbbell row: 6x6x6x6
Barbell curl: 6x6x6x6
Reverse curl: 6x6x6x6

Day 4 (CARDIO)
Run: 2 miles
Knee highs: 30s - Down and ups: 30s - Kneed highs: 30s - Down and ups: 30s. Rest 1 minute, then repeat 4x.

Day 5 (LIFT)
Push press: 6x6x6x6
Lat Raises: 6x6x6x6
Front raises: 6x6x6x6
Dumbbell press: 6x6x6x6
Squats: 6x6x6x6
Leg press: 6x6x6x6
Calve Raises: 6x6x6x6

DAY 6 (REST)

Then i repeat the cycle

Your routine sucks. It sounds like your goal isn't to get strong though so you should probably just check out bodybuilding.com.

Either that or read the FAQ.

How about why it sucks? And your right im not trying to get strong - trying to just get lean with about 6-7& body fat and 170-180lbs. Im currently 175 now and probably 13%

So you don't want to know how to improve your strength and conditioning? If you improve your strength and conditioning chances are good that as a side effect you'll lean out. You're athletic ability will also be much better.

if your not already brute strong i would check out starting strength.

I wouldnt say im brute strong but I can maxout at 250 on the bench and rep about 285 on the squat on a good day - are thinking too much cardio in my plan? I trained for about 3 years Muay Thai but took some time off - now before getting back into it i want to put my body in a better area it was before - so when i begin training again i will be at the same weight or one lower with more muscle mass and not having to cut so much. Therfore, i plan on just lifting and running for a while till im about 5-7% or so body fat (lose about 10lbs fat) and maintain or gain 10lbs muscle

I wouldnt say im brute strong but I can maxout at 250 on the bench and rep about 285 on the squat on a good day

You could probably do well with starting strength. Even if you don't want to do SS for some misguided reason, read the FAQ's and the links contained therein. Especially Carnal's Treatise.

You say you don't want to be strong. Why?

You could probably do well with starting strength. Even if you don't want to do SS for some misguided reason, read the FAQ's and the links contained therein. Especially Carnal's Treatise.

You say you don't want to be strong. Why?

Ill check that stuff out for sure - thanks. And its not that i DONT want to be strong. I just dont want the giant bulk people tend to associate with it. Cause if i said i want strength then ppl will be telling me i need to eat 4000 cals a day lift 3 reps don't do any cardio and bulk up first. which is not what i want

The focus of this forum (S&C) is on improving your performance i.e. getting stronger and/or better conditioned. Your goal is to get skinnier. You should either check out the D&S forum (because losing body fat is a larger function of diet than exercise) or check out bodybuilding.com.

If you want to stick around here, read the FAQ.

Ill check that stuff out for sure - thanks. And its not that i DONT want to be strong. I just dont want the giant bulk people tend to associate with it. Cause if i said i want strength then ppl will be telling me i need to eat 4000 cals a day lift 3 reps don't do any cardio and bulk up first. which is not what i want

Lets start from the beginning again... what are your actual goals?

Your original post makes you sound like someone that doesn't really want to be strong but rather someone that just wants to look jakt and tan.

The focus of this forum (S&C) is on improving your performance i.e. getting stronger and/or better conditioned. Your goal is to get skinnier. You should either check out the D&S forum (because losing body fat is a larger function of diet than exercise) or check out bodybuilding.com.

If you want to stick around here, read the FAQ.

But thats exactly the thing - i am trying to be more conditioned - sorry if my op wasnt too clear. But with losing body fat and lifting for maintainance and (hopefully gains too) i think i can increase my wind, lower body fat (so i wont have to cut as much in the future) and generally be more athletic once i begin training MT again. reading the faq now.

Currently 175 with about 13% body fat...trying to still be 175 but with 10lbs of fat cut off of me and replaced with muscle (with this obviously ill be faster and stronger inherently) - Im trying to do the workout i posted to achieve these goals...any constructive criticism is welcomed...i.e your not doing enough of this, add this lift, remove this, ect.

You should be lifting for strength regardless of how big you want to be. You can lose weight and still have a solid strength program. For example, do 2x5 on squat and bench and 1x3 on deadlift twice a week and cardio 3-4 days a week. You can put together something much better than your current routine with a little FAQ knowledge.

You should be lifting for strength regardless of how big you want to be. You can lose weight and still have a solid strength program. For example, do 2x5 on squat and bench and 1x3 on deadlift twice a week and cardio 3-4 days a week. You can put together something much better than your current routine with a little FAQ knowledge.

thanks dude ill try to incorporate that more

If your not trying to build mass then this routine is fine. As long as you eat clean you should lean out

If your not trying to build mass then this routine is fine. As long as you eat clean you should lean out

He wants to lose bf (lean out) and put on muscle/get stronger.

For that, do you think his routine is 'fine'?

ITT: Op is ''scared'' to get ''huge''. As if this happens over night. And dosen't care about strength because he can bench 250.

Almost got me, troll.

You should look into www.sealfit.com workout of the day or WOD. They combine strength and crossfit workouts for a nice blend of strength and cardio.

Currently 175 with about 13% body fat...trying to still be 175 but with 10lbs of fat cut off of me and replaced with muscle (with this obviously ill be faster and stronger inherently) - Im trying to do the workout i posted to achieve these goals...any constructive criticism is welcomed...i.e your not doing enough of this, add this lift, remove this, ect.

I think the problem is that there are two goals here, and you should approach them in different ways:

Goal 1: Gain 10 pounds of muscle.
Solution: Eat more food and lift heavy things

Goal 2: Lose 10 pounds of fat
Solution: Eat less food and lift heavy things to prevent loss of muscle mass

Hit one of these goals first, then go for the other. Since one involves eating more food and the other involves eating less, they are to a certain extent incompatible (except for the obese, beginner, or chemically enhanced lifter). You are probably better off trying for #1 first, since 10 pounds of additional muscle will help you burn more calories as you try to achieve goal #2.

That you should be lifting heavy objects using large muscle groups doesn't change based on which goal you are moving towards. For your second goal, the results will be about diet control.

How about why it sucks? And your right im not trying to get strong - trying to just get lean with about 6-7& body fat and 170-180lbs. Im currently 175 now and probably 13%

If,that is your training goals,then keep doing what you doing.

Back