Cardio Kings: Lowest Resting Heart Rates of MMA Fighters (Sources)

Same here man. I rest at about 78 but it get's up to about 205 during hard workouts. I can't put on a pound of fat.
I did a police fitness test last week and it was incredibly easy, but a fatass who looked like a mini-fridge who puked after the run got his HR down to 99 BPM before me. RHR isn't everything.
Cannot put on fat either. Lifting is actually the only way I found to gain any weight and that was purely from muscle. I have to eat a ton and workout. I also have to keep it up because if I take off 2-3 weeks all the gain I made gradually drops until I'm back at square one. I won't gain a thing sitting back and eating, it burns right out of me. People that think you hardly ever eat have no idea. The only way I think I could gain 20-25 lbs would be through steroids.

Huge if true.
But for real, that would be ridiculously insane, i mean isn't 35 already a bit unhealthy?
There've been some cyclists who died in their sleep during too low resting heart rates..
Aren’t those deaths attributed to blood doping?

I remember Rogan saying that when Shogun got measured for his fight against Machida, his heart rate was extremely low (he'd been doing a ton of cardio). I can't remember what it was but it was in the 30s I believe.

For someone who lifts but doesn't do any cardio, I have a pretty low heart rate - mid to high 50's. It's genetic though- my blood pressure is also 105/62 and has been around there for as long as I can remember.

In general lower than 50bpm daytime average resting heart-rate is classified as an issue (bradycardia) and it’s not considered ideal from a health standpoint ... like most athletic extremisms (super flexibility, huge muscles, etc) its actually beyond what is optimal from a health and long-term functionality perspective.

Then of course every case has its specificities but as a general rule extreme conditions are never ideal.

My average resting heart rate is 53-58bpm depending on the day, with temporary dips to the high 40s if I’m sitting quietly and occasional readings in the 30s if I’m sleeping very deeply.

5’11” x 175 ... almost 50y.o. lifelong martial artist, regularly run as a warmup 5k hilly forest trails in around 30m.

Last edited:
Tony Ferguson be like: I’m bout to end everyone’s career here

Kimbo and Evan Tanner are both at 0, so they win this competition. Too soon?

They have to be alive though.. here are a couple at 0 bpm:
20180707094708_GettyImages993555522.JPG

dana-white-offers-update-on-ben-askren-s-condition-following-brutal-five-second-ko-loss__435678_.jpg

That was more because they were heavily doped up on EPO. Back in the early days of the drug's use in cycling, the team doctors and other folks hadn't figured out the safe dosages yet plus everyone wanted to push it as far as they could go. They'd shoot up so much EPO that all the extra red blood cells turned their blood into syrup, and when the athletes were sleeping and their blood wasn't circulating fast enough it would clot up and kill them dead. Some of the teams had their athletes wearing heart rate monitors to bed, if their heart beat went below a certain rate while sleeping the alarms would go off and they'd have to get up and do sprints to get their blood flowing again before they dropped dead. Those were some crazy times in the sport.
You've got quite a bit of knowledge!<mma4>
Interesting what you wrote, didn't know that, as i always thought it was the low resting heart rate alone (which as i thought was a product of EPO) but yeah, makes a lot of sense now that you've explained it.

Mine is usually about 45 - 50 bpm. Been teaching Cardio classes for 20+ years though.

My heart rate was always super fast which I always correlated to a high metabolism. I decided to look that up to see if there was a correlation between the two and it appears there is.
Same here. 75bpm at rest even when I was doing endurance sports. I did a full effort and VO2 max test and I am absolutely fine, it's just fast at rest.
I am also the type of guy who eats like a pig and never gets fat, even if I don't excercise at all.

Somebody on Sherdog once suggested Tony Ferguson's RHR is 9. lol. But he probably is #1 or #2... he should reveal. Colby, too.

My resting heart rate is in the low to mid 40's and my cardio is pathetically bad. I'll never understand it.

My resting heart rate is in the low to mid 40's and my cardio is pathetically bad. I'll never understand it.
That's because resting heart rate is not a good indicator of cardiovascular fitness. VO2max is.

Mine is around 70. Though that's with not having done any cardio in a year.

I’m 6’9 285 (a bit bigger and more muscular than LeBron) and mine is low 30s

Bisping had a pretty low one.. It was down to 2½ at the end of the Hendo fight

What exactly is resting? How long period of inactivity? Just after waking up?

My heart rate after waking up used to be around 45 and I'm not an endurance athlete at all.

Back