Cardio + Heavy lifting

888Shogun888

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Alright this is my dilemma. I have been doing a modified 5x5 routine for the past few months with good results. I will be going into the National Guard at the end of the summer and would like to really improve my cardio and drop some body fat. For the past 3 weeks or so I have been doing the Bas Rutten workout 1 or 2 times a day (the thai routine). I have been doing the routine without any real weight training to bump up my cardio and get used to the routine so that I can complete the workout and still have the energy to complete some weight training.

This is what I am thinking of doing: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Remember that I am pretty tired after full power bas workout so I can't do a ton of work after.

day 1
8 rounds of Bas
Deadlifts 3X6 (alternating clean grip when the mood strikes)
Good mornings 3X6
Pullups 3X10

Day 2
Bas Rutten full 10 rounds

Day 3
8 rounds of Bas
Bench 3X8
Free plate work (dont have dumbells; triceps work, high pulls, shoulder work etc etc)

Bas 10 rounds

8 rounds Bas
Overhead Squats 3X8
Bent over row 3X10
Oly Barbell Twist 3X20 (stick one end of empty bar in corner and load other end with 45lbs and twist)

Bas 10 rounds

Bas 8 rounds
Cleans 3X5

o why not flip bas and the weights?

you mean do weights before bas? I guess I could do that. I started out doing a few rounds of Bas as a warmup for weights. I suppose it wouldn't be any trouble to switch them.

If I were you I'd want at least one day of just rest... but that's just me...

You like the Bas tapes that much? Personally I wouldn't stick to the same type of conditioning every single day.

You like the Bas tapes that much? Personally I wouldn't stick to the same type of conditioning every single day.

love the workouts:icon_chee. I am a huge muay thai fan so love to get down in my basement and knock the bag around for a half hour or so. Great cardio, good muscle indurance. I mix up the techniques because I pretty much know what the next combo is so that gets boring. I loathe running but I still get in a 2 mile run once or twice a week.

You have your training priorities backwards. It is unfortunate, and not what you want to hear.

You should be running 15-20 miles a week. A 5-mile run at around 8-9 minute pace, once a week. A couple 2-3 mile runs at 7 minute pace or less. High volume burpees, squat thrusts, star jumps, pushups, mountain climbers--general bodyweight bs. Pullups and rope climbing or wall climbing if available. Any weightlifting you get in is a bonus. All the muscle you have built up will help, no doubt, but if you can't stay with your platoon on a run you will want to die.

You need to gradually up the weekly mileage so that you don't end up getting npq'd with shin splints or stress fractures. I have no experience with basic training for the Nat'l Guard, so I may be out of line with my recommendations, and hopefully someone else can help. With that said, that workout definitely needs some tweaking as it is written. Running, being prepared to run, and running well is essential.

Hope no one minds if I hijack and reclaim this thread, since the title is exactly what I would put. My question is, I'm considering trying to add more cardio to my routine, but I'm already doing 11-12 workouts per week, and can't add any more (most of them are karate and BJJ practice, and those are not always exhaustive, so I'm not overtraining, trust me).

If I were to add some HIIT on days that I do the first and third workouts of the 5x5 (the shorter days, squats, bench and DRs), would this really set back my strength gains? And if I do add it, the consensus seems to be that it should be after I'm done lifting, but I'm concerned about maximizing my PWO recovery. I already drink a peri-workout drink of carbs and whey 3:1, usually finishing off most of it immediately PWO. If I save this until after my cardio, will I lose some of the benefit gained from replenishing myself right after a lift?

I have the feeling someone's about to bitch-slap me, so go ahead :icon_neut

If I were you I'd want at least one day of just rest... but that's just me...

everyone should get one day of just rest or their bodies and minds will begin to break down.

unfortunately, too many gym fanatics are too damn stubborn and wait for the invetable to happen.

use bas as your warmup, do your lifting, and do bas again.

Alright this is my dilemma. I have been doing a modified 5x5 routine for the past few months with good results. I will be going into the National Guard at the end of the summer and would like to really improve my cardio and drop some body fat. For the past 3 weeks or so I have been doing the Bas Rutten workout 1 or 2 times a day (the thai routine). I have been doing the routine without any real weight training to bump up my cardio and get used to the routine so that I can complete the workout and still have the energy to complete some weight training.

This is what I am thinking of doing: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Remember that I am pretty tired after full power bas workout so I can't do a ton of work after.

day 1
8 rounds of Bas
Deadlifts 3X6 (alternating clean grip when the mood strikes)
Good mornings 3X6
Pullups 3X10

Day 2
Bas Rutten full 10 rounds

Day 3
8 rounds of Bas
Bench 3X8
Free plate work (dont have dumbells; triceps work, high pulls, shoulder work etc etc)

Bas 10 rounds

8 rounds Bas
Overhead Squats 3X8
Bent over row 3X10
Oly Barbell Twist 3X20 (stick one end of empty bar in corner and load other end with 45lbs and twist)

Bas 10 rounds

Bas 8 rounds
Cleans 3X5
Going to boot camp? Might wanna run. Only thing you'll be lifting there is your m16 assault rifle and your body. Do the bas CD.

My suggestion...

Coming out of navy boot camp about a yr ago it was mad easy and all I did for the 2 weeks before was party with my friends.

MWF squats and milk... yes I said it...

TTRS
I would personaly run maybe 1 to 2 miles and then maybe some tabata sprints

Imo squats and milk has a lot of bw work and running 6 miles a week and some sprint work should be enough for basic

everyone should get one day of just rest or their bodies and minds will begin to break down.

unfortunately, too many gym fanatics are too damn stubborn and wait for the invetable to happen.

DON'T BUMP OLD FUCKING THREADS UNLESS IT'S FOR COMEDIC PURPOSES!!!!

Back