Cardio Enhancements

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by IswearIkeepmyhandsup, Apr 14, 2019 at 4:46 PM.

1. IswearIkeepmyhandsup

IswearIkeepmyhandsup Boxer

Hey guys, planning to have my first amateur boxing fight in the summer and my training has been going great. One thing that I've always struggled with is my cardio, and I eat pretty damn well. I was reading into Dillashaw's EPO situation and it got me wondering is there anything that can help a bit with your cardio that is not illegal. I found this site and it seems heavy cardio based athletes use it, just wondering if any of the contents would be illegal. Anyways thanks for the help and sorry for you nutritionists and triathletes if this wasted your time.

Here's the website:
    https://firstendurance.com/

2. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

I was going to guess that Optygen would be one of the items mentioned.

Like most supplements on the market, this stuff probably doesn't work. Cardio is about volume of work, intervals, blood flow, blood hct, HR, and sleep.

the only 'magic bullets' are: sleep high/train low, an altitude tent or EPO.

IswearIkeepmyhandsup likes this.
  3. UnklBobBob

UnklBobBob White Belt

+ EQ and Cardarine

4. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

If you mean GW501516, then ya --- no thanks. I'm happy with my health.

5. ocean size

ocean size Black Belt

Used correctly, caffeine is probably the only thing that will actually benefit your cardio slightly for the duration of an ammy boxing match. Sodium Phosphate might help as well. I don't know much about it and the studies are somewhat mixed so do your homework.

Make sure any changes to your training you do well in advance of the fight and make sure you know how they effect you. Caffeine for example might help cardio, but if you aren't used to it it will just have you blowing your energy load too early McGregor style.

Sodium Bicarbonate and BCAAs have a small effect on aerobic performance, but only prolonged cardio like 45 min. If this is 3 two minute rounds it might not do much for you.

Creatine - doesn't actually improve steady state cardio, but improves anaerobic performance, muscle endurance and time to fatigue which may provide you some benefits. I just wouldn't overdo it if you are cutting weight due to the increased hydration.

Beta alanine - and L-Carnitine are in the same boat.

These latter three could be used in training to allow you to do any high intensity work and still have the energy to put in the time for pure cardio.

6. IswearIkeepmyhandsup

So should I drink a bit of coffee or some other high caffeine source before I train?

7. ocean size

ocean size Black Belt

Yeah say 30 minutes before. Doesn't need to be a huge amount. And you need to listen to your body - if it makes you too anxious or disagrees in another way, it might not be worth the improvement in cardio that some study said. Especially if you find it makes it more difficult to pace yourself.

Also if you train late you need to make sure it isn't interfering with your ability to sleep a full 8+ hours because sleep is key to improving.

8. IswearIkeepmyhandsup

Alright, thanks man, how tf you know all this shit lmao. You a nutritionist?

9. monkeyrhythm

monkeyrhythm Orange Belt

The science is by no means conclusive but you could experiment with beetroot juice:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5295087/
    There are indications that caffeine may cancel out any potential benefits so maybe drink coffee OR beetroot juice (not both together).

10. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

Ergogenic effects of caffeine on endurance performance become significant at something like 400mg --- which I wouldn't advise.

11. therealdope

therealdope Steel Belt

I agree with this^^^.

Most high level endurance athletes sleep 8 hrs and take naps. I know that I did.