carbs after a workout

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by maravillin, Aug 17, 2010.

1. maravillin

maravillin Blue Belt

Ive been on a zero carb diet and have felt fantastic. i keep hearing about the importance of carbs after a workout to max insulin levels and aid the protein in building muscle and strength. Im really not lookin for any weight gain, just strength gain, so are carbs necessary at all?

2. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

3. Youthanized

Youthanized Guest

I honestly thought this said crabs after a workout.

4. KILL KILL

KILL KILL Gold Belt

steamed crabs after a workout would be amazing

5. rubberducky27

rubberducky27 Yellow Belt

Inspired!

I'm on this tonight. Steamed chilli crab post workout meal tonight.

6. mmafreedom

mmafreedom Purple Belt

Necessary? No. Helpful? Yes.
    Don't be afraid of carbs. They DO NOT make you fat. Eating more then your necessary calorie intake to maintain weight will.

7. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

Carbs are not necessary PWO, and neither is spiking insulin through the roof. That said, carbs PWO can be very useful for a lot of reasons. Except for people who are very insulin resistant and prone to fat gain, or people who are quite lean and trying to get leaner, I think PWO carbs are a good idea for most people.

There's the obvious reasons, like glycogen replenishment (if it was in fact glycolytic exercise you did). Then there are other less obvious, but still important benefits. For example, PWO carbs can help maintain a healthy hormonal environment in your body--chronic very low carb can be stressful--without compromising the myriad benefits of a low carb diet, since carbs are best tolerated PWO.