Carb supplement choice

Sound reasonable, all said and done. I've been taking a Surge mimicker peri- and post-WO, but I'm thinking of cutting back PWO. It might be just as beneficial to simply take a straight whey or, *gasp*, MPI PWO, given the high concentration of glucose that should still be floating around in my blood.

I'm a skinny bastard so I think I have plenty of leeway with which to start experimenting.

what about whole food meals? do you eat another whole food meal at a certain time following training? im tempted to try this myself, and am wondering how you go about nutrition during the supposed "magic window" of 60-90 minutes after training.

In my case, up to this point I've been eating a meal within two hours of my PWO shake, which I believe Berardi advocated in his Massive Eating strategy. Could be misremembering here. I've been making it a meal consisting of "other carbs", this and the peri-/post-WO meal being the only ones consisting of non-veggie/fruit/flax carbs.

what about whole food meals? do you eat another whole food meal at a certain time following training? im tempted to try this myself,

Yes, about an hour after training.

and am wondering how you go about nutrition during the supposed "magic window" of 60-90 minutes after training.

I'm still doing a PWO shake, that hasn't changed; it's usually within 30 minutes of training, give or take.

30g of Whey, with a banana, frozen fruit, whole milk, greens+, creatine, beta alanine, some BCAAs only because I have them, apple cider vinegar.

I think the diabetes thing isn't a concern in this case. Exercise is already one of the biggest benefits you can do for insulin sensitivity. I'd have to believe that it would more than compensate for any potential resistance that a daily high GI drink could develop. Again though, I'm not expert... it's just my opinion at this time. It seems like most people who develop diabetes have chronically HI GI diets for years and have multiple insulin spikes per day and don't exercise.

i like kittens in my post workout drinks...kittens have carbs yah?

In the past, I've heavily favored dextrose and/or maltodextrin, based both on proven efficacy, theory of utilizing an insulin spike, and also, of course, on anecdotal efficacy.

As of the past 4 months, I've completely eliminated high-GI carbs pre/periWO, and only utilized fresh and frozen fruit in my PWO shake. Essentially, just fructose (OMG!!! Hes crazors!!11!11) and lactose from whole milk. I've noticed neither negative or positive benefits from this.

The next (potential) step in my mini-experiment is to eliminate high-GI carbs PWO, and start utilizing low-GI carbs; this is along the line of thinking that Xtrainer mentioned: the insulin spike is NOT needed due to enhanced PWO insulin sensitivity, low-GI carb sources with replace glycogen just as well, and there's potential long-term complications from intentionally spiking insulin.

As a note, I've not noticed any changes in performance or recovery from either method so far.

Exactly. Bottom line for me: I have noticed no difference in performance whether I use fruit, maltodex/dex, honey, lactose...carbs work, type of carb doesn't seem to make much difference for me, and science can't pinpoint a perfect carb either, so why overthink it?

Exactly. Bottom line for me: I have noticed no difference in performance whether I use fruit, maltodex/dex, honey, lactose...carbs work, type of carb doesn't seem to make much difference for me, and science can't pinpoint a perfect carb either, so why overthink it?

It could also be that we just don't need as many carbs as we think. What I'm getting at is let

Well muscle glycogen is able to be depleted. Just not at the rate that most think. Liver glycogen is almost never used.

Most people here have nothing to worry about.

I use dextrose and maltodextrin as my carb sources.

Back