Car/Tire Flipping

TrinitronMaximu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When you're flipping a tire, obviously your muscles don't have to exert a force equal to the full weight of the tire, since part of it is resting on the ground. Does anyone know roughly what kind of force is required to flip say a 500# tire?

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

I don't know. But I came here expecting Car flipping. I am disappointed.

Well, if we work out how much force it takes to flip a tyre, we can then apply the same equation to say, a mid-sized sedan, containing a family of four, waiting in traffic.

Flipping it sideways would be easiest, of course, but how many of us would be able to run away afterwards?

If the tire is parallel to its resting plane it will take near 500 pounds to get the thing started. As you increase its inclination angle the applied effort by you will decrease. At 45 degrees it will have an effective weight of around 250 pounds and when its perpendicular to the resting plane it will have a weight of 0 pounds.

Aren't you forgetting the normal force?

Yeah I drew up a little freebody diagram and I'm gonna have to go with Klotz hah. Sorry to disappoint, can I make it up with some car flipping videos?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Y0qmdUQQeE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Y0qmdUQQeE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oM_dLXKpf9c&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oM_dLXKpf9c&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Man Kaz is amazing

Those videos were sweet.

For a 550# tire, my max deadlift is ~300#. Grip has a lot to do with it, and technique, too. Just to get it off the ground? Probably at *least* 1/2 of the weight of the tire. Go grab 2 bathroom scales and throw them underneath one end of the tire, add the readings. About that much.

Any man with some strength training should be able to make daylight under a 500# tire. Getting fast and good at it is where the technique lies. And not getting bruised while doing it. Yeah, still working on it.

If the tire is parallel to its resting plane it will take near 500 pounds to get the thing started. As you increase its inclination angle the applied effort by you will decrease. At 45 degrees it will have an effective weight of around 250 pounds and when its perpendicular to the resting plane it will have a weight of 0 pounds.

This is way off. I can deadlift around 625, but can routinely flip an 800 pound tire. It feels like a 365 dead or so to get it moving, if that answers your question somewhat.

I think its a bad comparison to compare tyre flip weight to deadlift weight (I have done it myself but I just don't think one lift applies well to the other). The forces generated are similar but the angle of the drive is completely different. I have flipped a tyre that was nearly twice the weight of my deadlift max.

The other thing that would have an effect on the difficulty of the tyre flip is the length of the tyre or the diameter. The greater the diameter the tougher the lift.

Any man with some strength training should be able to make daylight under a 500# tire. Getting fast and good at it is where the technique lies. And not getting bruised while doing it. Yeah, still working on it.

Read your sig and stop using your gender as an excuse.

Does stat have 2 aliases on here?

Aren't you forgetting the normal force?

Yep, along with the diameter of the tire and the center of gravity. The general point I was trying to make to the TS is that its such an effective workout because it does not possess a fixed weight to the lifter.

Read your sig and stop using your gender as an excuse.

Where the fuck did that come from? I think that a guy that has some strength training should be able to lift the tire, that's all I said. I wasn't making it a gender thing, "beef curtains", if you'd like to play it that way, go for it.

This is way off. I can deadlift around 625, but can routinely flip an 800 pound tire. It feels like a 365 dead or so to get it moving, if that answers your question somewhat.

Really? Interesting. Well, a lot of it is technique, too. Picking up the tire isn't like picking up a deadlift. Usually your feet are behind, not beside, your hands since you're trying to drive it over.

Yeah, I've never tried before, but it would be fun to get one of those enormous tires and just flip it around campus.

Back