Car Battery

TheGauntlet7**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi, I have an old 90s toyota that I left on the street for too long because I never drive it. I was about to donate it when I realized it wouldn't start. I put in a new battery a couple of months ago but because I never drove the car it couldn't maintain a charge. Since this is still a new battery, what can I do to get this car to start without jumping it? Thank you.

Do you get withdrawal symptoms if you don't start a thread every 4-6 hours?

Auto zone charges them for free, idk if you have those where you are

I know it's not the battery because I bought it recently. It's because I never drove the car the battery died out. I have a jumper box and have to start the car with that. Someone mentioned a charger, will any auto parts store charge my battery for free in California? Thanks.

sounds like you're low on blinker fluid.
BlinkFluid.jpg

I know it's not the battery because I bought it recently. It's because I never drove the car the battery died out. I have a jumper box and have to start the car with that. Someone mentioned a charger, will any auto parts store charge my battery for free in California? Thanks.

I've had 3 bad batteries fresh out the zone, I'd take I there anyways just to make sure...plus the trickle charge is much better for your battery.

Also, if you have a jump box and your battery is good you should be fine. Are you saying it dies over night?

I've had 3 bad batteries fresh out the zone, I'd take I there anyways just to make sure...plus the trickle charge is much better for your battery.

The car could start on its own with the new battery for the first couple months. I suppose I'll call the store and ask them about the charger.

The car could start on its own with the new battery for the first couple months. I suppose I'll call the store and ask them about the charger.

Just take it in, its a common thing there. They test your bat when they charge it. Tell them you want the slow charge. If you got it from autozone it has a year warranty.

may be your alternator

Wasn't gonna get into the alternator or parasitic drain until he at least gets his free test done

If the charge is good, remove your alt and take to autozone...they test for free.

If your alt is good take it to the shop...unless you're experienced with a multimeter and familiar with auto wiring and electrical systems. I'm going to assume that this thread is recogition enough that you're not...not hating.

Last edited:
If it can't maintain a charge and the battery is new then the problem is one of the following

1)bad Alternator (brushes/windings)
2)loose/bad serpentine belt
3)bad voltage regulator (blown diodes) -it's the little unit that sits on the alternator
4)Bad tensioner
5)bad pulley
6)bad frame ground from battery
7)corroded battery connections/wire

thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Good call Samuria, I just assume people look for these things. TS, after you get your bat checked, you might want to see if your terminal connections and ground to frame could use a little wire brush action.

It's not the tensioner, he'd know.
If its a pulley, it'll be the alt anyways.
Belts kinda doubtful too without him noticing

Good call Samuria, I just assume people look for these things. TS, after you get your bat checked, you might want to see if your terminal connections and ground to frame could use a little wire brush action.

It's not the tensioner, he'd know.
If its a pulley, it'll be the alt anyways.
Belts kinda doubtful too without him noticing

If he's getting intermittent contact on the alt pulley.

TS, electrical sucks. Not good to self-troubleshoot unless you're a car guy.
Take it in, or post an ad on Craigslist. You can find guys out of work or looking for sidework and lay a beat on shop rates. The downside is little guarantee after the job's done, but you just need to get it up and running.

Even when you buy a new battery, you're not buying a battery with a full charge, you're buying a battery that got a half charge at the factory and has been sitting around for who knows how long.

The problem you're going to face know is that if the battery is completely dead, all of the electrolytes have been drawn out of the battery plates and once this happens you seldom get a battery to take a full charge again.

Just for future reference. When you get the battery charged and you're not going to be driving the car still, don't connect the battery cables.

I had a similar problem with the battery draining overnight. Ended up being my CDplayer, had something faulty inside that kept turning it on during the night..

Was told to change my alternator. Glad i bought a new battery & tried disconnecting CDplayer first, saved me a fortune.

I had a similar problem with the battery draining overnight. Ended up being my CDplayer, had something faulty inside that kept turning it on during the night..
Was told to change my alternator. Glad i bought a new battery & tried disconnecting CDplayer first, saved me a fortune.

Sounds familiar...

christine-1-800.jpg

I can't really help you without further information, but if you're just going to donate it why not let it be their problem? They'll likely sell it as scarp anyway.

Back