Captain Phillips

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
Anyone seen this? I fucking love this movie. First saw it in the cinema and had me on the edge of my seat the whole way. The acting, the story line, just everything about this movie was great. It's definitely one of my favourite films.

Any similar movies to this? Thanks.

I'll give it another shot. The first time around, I tapped out a few minutes in during Hanks's monologue about his son in that awful accent.

It just sort of lingered on for me. Wasnt as impressed as i thought i would be going in.

Anyone seen this? I fucking love this movie. First saw it in the cinema and had me on the edge of my seat the whole way. The acting, the story line, just everything about this movie was great. It's definitely one of my favourite films.

Did you not know the ending?

Great final scene, everything else was okay.

Great movie. I loved it as well. There is a danish movie called "Kapringen" thats similar, but the main topic is the psychology of the negotiations with the pirates, so less action.

It just sort of lingered on for me. Wasnt as impressed as i thought i would be going in.

Unfortunately, this was pretty much how I felt as well. It was a good movie. I'm glad I saw it once. But I have no real desire to watch it again.

also directed by paul greengrass

United-93.jpg

Crazy that those African dudes ever figured out a way to board giant ships like that from their shitty little dingy.

Good movie, but its one of those movies that's more of a one time deal and I wouldn't really care much to watch it again.

IMO it was about creating tension and making the viewer feel emotions rather than having a deep plot/writing. Which is all good, but once you've been through the ride, you don't get as much out of it the second time around.

So dumb question here.

But assuming the cargo on the ship is of substantial value. Why didn't they have anyone armed on the ship to protect the cargo/ship instead of relying on that water system?

Good movie, but its one of those movies that's more of a one time deal and I wouldn't really care much to watch it again.

IMO it was about creating tension and making the viewer feel emotions rather than having a deep plot/writing. Which is all good, but once you've been through the ride, you don't get as much out of it the second time around.

Each to their own, but I've watched it a few times since its release and love it just as much as the first time I saw it.

IIRC, the reason I never watched it was because some passengers declared that the movie was kinda bullshit. I read somewhere that some passengers said Phillips was an arrogant, egotistical idiot whose actions somewhat caused the situation to begin with and was nowhere near the hero he was made out to be.

IIRC, the reason I never watched it was because some passengers declared that the movie was kinda bullshit. I read somewhere that some passengers said Phillips was an arrogant, egotistical idiot whose actions somewhat caused the situation to begin with and was nowhere near the hero he was made out to be.

I read the same thing. Some of that arrogance and power hunger was shown in the movie, but apparently not enough for their liking. No 90 minute Hollywood movie based on real life events is ever really much like the actual events...always totally cooked for the screen. Still a good movie.

So dumb question here.

But assuming the cargo on the ship is of substantial value. Why didn't they have anyone armed on the ship to protect the cargo/ship instead of relying on that water system?

1) Private security contractors are used much more now in regions that pose such risks.

2) Some corporations are cheap.

The movie was pretty meh imo.

So dumb question here.

I think a lot of ships that sail thru that area (off Somalia cost) now hire private security for those runs.

Piracy wasn't really much of an issue until 2005-2006ish, and they were still only a couple incidents / attempts per year. I think ships just sailed further off the coast to avoid pirates and it worked for awhile, it wasn't until 2008-2009 when this incident happened when piracy became a huge deal, was all over the news, and attacks were much more common a lot further from the coast.

There's videos on sites like liveleak with armed private security fending off pirate attacks, I think it's pretty standard when sailing thru that area to have security now.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's the cargo they are after either. They just want ransom for the crew.

Back