Can't teach an old Kiwi new tricks.

22/02/2012:

After going to the first gym and finding the sauna broken, headed to YMCA. Paid for entry, went and sat in the sauna, and it turned out to only be about half the heat that it should have been at. Shiiiiiit. Half an hour in and I was just starting to sweat, but we had to leave for the weigh-ins. Fuck.
Opponent went first, came in at 67.9kg. I went next, 68.2. Pissed off at myself for not being able to do my cut properly, but oh well, just have to make up for it. Anyway, the other guy's coach said no worries, so we did our doctor's checks, filled in the forms that we needed to, then back to the hotel and checked in.
Between 8pm and 10:30-ish, I had a bottle of water, 2 peanut butter cups, a bottle of Powerade, a small bag of lollies, a bottle of coke, spring rolls, a big bowl of duck noodle soup, another small pack of lollies, a can of coke, and a barbecue bacon double cheeseburger from Burger King. Pretty sure I'm close to 72kg again now, haha.
Anyway, not much to it but to do it to it now.
Catch y'all later on tonight after the show.

Won by KO in the 3rd round. right cross. Video and a better write-up tomorrow.

Won by KO in the 3rd round.

tumblr_lnbs32q7pH1qbad05o1_400.jpg

Fucking happy for you man! Great job!!!

Thanks everyone! Felt super-awesome, still proud of it.

Before I got into the ring, this was probably the most nervous I've been before a fight. Huge arena, it was like you could have held the K1 in there. Seeing it empty during the day made me space out a wee bit. Also, JWP was there for the fights too- this dude is my idol. Holy fuck. I got a picture with him after the show, I'll put it online later. Also, I knew nothing about my opponent except his weight and that he was older (turned out to be in his forties).

Anyway, came out to Intergalactic and sealed the ring. When I finished sealing the ring, they cut the music. I don't think they were expecting me to do a Wai Kru. It was super quiet as I did it and bowed, but that's alright. Just added to the tension haha.

First round was about finding his strengths, seeing what he had. He came out and had some pretty strong kicks, checked pretty well. He was really fired up, raring to go too. He was a bit rushed though, wound up rushing in with hands and falling into the clinch, which suited me fine. That round was pretty even, but I had a good feeling of what he was like from it, which helped me relax and find my own rhythm.

Second round, came out stronger, knew to work my knees and clinch a bit more. In this round even after taking a lot he was still strong, and just kept coming at me. Very tough guy. In this round I just wanted to hurt him, slow him down as much as possible to make the fight easier for me. End of the round I'm not sure how it happened, but I managed to fall over when I threw a left roundhouse. Fuck, that was embarrassing. Way to end a round...

Third round, my trainer told me I was doing well, but he wanted me to use more boxing combinations to find my range. And, I did.

Anyway, here's the video:
[YT]-IKte0KNa_g[/YT]

Lol, and boom goes the dynamite

Did I forget to mention that I met JWP this weekend as well? I'm pretty sure I did mention it, but I'm mentioning it again. And also, here's a picture:

64169_10200718524915483_1258611326_n.jpg

I fucking love JWP! Jealous of that photo.

Great fight kiwi, loved it! You're always looking better and better. Congratulations!

JWP is John Wayne Parr, right?

I am not a great MT afficianado, but I saw him and liked him on "The Contender- Asia". When it was being aired he was also posting here, about the show, it was pretty cool. And he seemed very nice and genuine.

Great fight. Totally different look between the 1st and 2nd/3rd. Good checks; good clinch work; great long range punching. Those knees definitely hurt him in the 2nd, and he had no answer for your longer range boxing. What was the weight difference? You looked like the bigger man by far.

Good stuff man! Grats on the win. Your boxing stunned him quite a few times. I enjoyed the commentary from the women recording. That ring post was the bane of her existence!

I fucking love JWP! Jealous of that photo.

Great fight kiwi, loved it! You're always looking better and better. Congratulations!

Thanks, I aim to keep improving.

JWP is John Wayne Parr, right?

I am not a great MT afficianado, but I saw him and liked him on "The Contender- Asia". When it was being aired he was also posting here, about the show, it was pretty cool. And he seemed very nice and genuine.

Yup, the gunslinger himself. Seemed like a really cool dude, my partner got his business card and is going to hit him up about a training session when we go to the Gold Coast for a holiday later this year.

Impressive fight. Those knees killed him.

Thanks mate

Great fight. Totally different look between the 1st and 2nd/3rd. Good checks; good clinch work; great long range punching. Those knees definitely hurt him in the 2nd, and he had no answer for your longer range boxing. What was the weight difference? You looked like the bigger man by far.

The weight difference was 300 grams, officially. But, I put about 4-5kg back on after the weigh-in.

Good stuff man! Grats on the win. Your boxing stunned him quite a few times. I enjoyed the commentary from the women recording. That ring post was the bane of her existence!

Thanks, the sarcastic/bitter tone was my partner haha.

Awesome work, congrats man

Cheers mate

Nice, composed performance, and a GREAT finish. He didn't like the clinch & knees one bit! Tough guy for sure though.

Well done mate.

Cheers, brudda. Time for a new chapter in the ol' log, I think.

Chapter 3: Broseidon, God of the Brocean

For the next little bit, I have no plans to fight over the next month or two, so I'm going bro-mode. Monday, chest and tris, Tuesday back and bis, Wednesday cardio, Thursday legs, Friday shoulders. Weekend is kinda whatever I feel like, I guess. This will be something fun, involving curls, machines, and getting a fully sick pump, brah.
Seriously though, this will be a good mental break from the usual thing, as well as a good way to introduce a bit more volume to workouts, as I'm considering running Sheiko #29 at some stage in the near future.

26/02/2013:

Strength:

Deadlift: 5 x 60kg, 5 x 100kg, 5 x 120kg, 3 x 140kg, 2 x 150kg

Wide-grip pull-ups: 15, 8, 6, 7 reps

Seated cable row: 12 x 80lbs, 12 x 100lbs, 12 x 120lbs, 2 x 10 x 130lbs

Chest-supported row: 12 x 20kg, 10 x 30kg, 2 x 8 x 35kg

Alternating DB curls: 10 x 12kg, 2 x 8 x 14kg

Finished off with a high-rep set of curls with an empty bar. I always forget how much my forearms feel curls with a barbell.

Probably gonna do some abs later on. Shins are still a bit sensitive to touch, so no kickboxing tonight. I'll be sparring a bit tomorrow with my mate, as he's got a match coming up soon.

Last edited:
Congrats on the win and the KO Kiwi

Back