Can't teach an old Kiwi new tricks.

Congrats on the PR - that puts you ahead of me in our friendly race. I need to up my game.

Indeed. However, I'm sure for you as soon as you break the bar from the floor it'll come up far smoother than mine did. Either way, it's only another 22.5kg to go for me ;)

12/02/2013:

AM:

Muay Thai:
Relatively light session this morning. 3 x 3-minute rounds of skipping, then shadow boxing for the same. After that, a single 10-minute clinch round. Followed clinching with 3 x 3-minute pad rounds.

Conditioning:
Upping the intensity, lowering the duration. Set the treadmill to an incline of 6. A minute of walking first, then a minute jogging at 10kph to warm up. After that, 30 seconds of work at 16k, 18k, then 6 rounds at 20k. Rest was 45 seconds initially, then dropped back to 60 seconds because I was afraid of falling off the treadmill after a couple at 20k. This was pretty much straight after Muay Thai.

Oops, forgot to update after training last night. Too tired to rememeber what we did though, asides from doing a few rounds in 10oz gloves. Very different to wearing 16s.

13/02/2013:

Strength:

Squat: 5/3/1 reps: 5 x 100kg, 3 x 107.5kg, 1+ x 115kg (4 reps)

Bench press: 5/3/1 reps: 5 x 65kg, 3 x 70kg, 1+ x 75kg (3 reps), 3x 75kg

GHRs: 3 x 5 (lat pulldown machine)

Wide-grip pull-ups: 12, 10, 8, 7 reps

Dips: 10 x BW, 5 x 15kg, 5 x 30kg, 2 x 40kg, 15 x BW

Core:
Hanging leg raises, 3 sets of 10 reps
Russian twists, 3 sets of 16 reps with 15kg

Some heavier core work plus conditioning tomorrow, in addition to training.

14/02/2013:

Not going to bother with specifics today, way too tired to put the effort into actually writing. Not really a great day of training. Just pissed off at myself, really. Going to take a day off tomorrow, train Saturday and Sunday, take it easy Monday, train Tuesday, a light session on Wednesday, rest Thursday, weigh in Friday, and then the fight's here already.

Fuck.

Don't stress it mate, it's just 1 bad day, it happens. Stay positive, do something nice to take your mind off things and you'll be ready for the next session. Do not let negativity creep in!

Let the hate and anger flow through you. Destroy the barbell, and join me and we'll rule the gym!

wait, wat. just chill and get it next time, kiwi

Cheers for the support guys.

15/02/2013:

Muay Thai:
Today was supposed to be a rest day, but I felt like I needed a training session to go well before my fight. So, into the gym tonight and about 25 minutes or so of sparring, rotating between 3 of us. One in, one out each minute. After that, finished off with 3 x 2-minute rounds of pads, focusing on power output across the rounds. Finished with 20 straight kicks each leg.
Going to head down to Welly tomorrow for sparring at both Jai and Combat Room. Maybe I'll get footage this time? Who knows.

16/02/2013:

Went down to Wellington today. Got to combat room, realized I left my mouthguard in my other training bag, an hour away. Oops. Sparred with no mouthguard in for a bit, went over a short bit of technique in the clinch, and then had a short break. After that, went to Jai, where I purchased a new mouthguard. It's nice and comfortable to wear. Less chunky than my old one. Anyway, sparred for a while with one woman who has her first amateur and third fight overall on the same night as me (albeit in a different location). Also sparred with the gym manager after that for a while, since she's prepping for a fight too. Apparently low-carb doesn't work for her, and now she's worried about her fight weight. Hoping all the best for her. Anyway, I need to rest up tomorrow.

One week to go.

18/02/2013:

Today the weight cut's definitely taking somewhat of a toll on me. Had a nice light back-off strength session finished with a bit of core work. After, hit the sauna for a half hour. Weight before training was down to 71kg from 73kg on Saturday. So, that's good. Training tonight was a nice, relaxed pace. Shadow boxed 3 x 3 minute rounds, and then some light drilling. 2:30 of going kick-for-kick, 30 seconds clinch sparring, and then 30 seconds of boxing sparring. Looped 3 times consecutively, then a short break, then repeat again. After, 3 x 3-minute bag rounds, then a 3-minute footwork and movement drill.
Definitely not looking forward to later on in the week...

Your fights crept up quickly, good luck mate.

Your conditioning seems on point, from what I am reading. You'll win.

LHK finish in 2nd round :)

(but seriously, gl man)

LHK finish in 2nd round :)

(but seriously, gl man)

Thanks, I'll see what I can make happen.

19/02/2013:

So, did a sauna run again today. Sweaty, sweaty beast quite quickly, which is wonderful. Half an hour, and that was about a kilo. Went to training tonight again, just joined in on the beginner's class. Warmed up with a bit of skipping, then did 3 x 3-minute pad rounds. First round was just boxing, with 15 push-ups at the top of each minute, second round was kicks with 15 squats at the top of each minute, and last round was basic hand and knees with 15 sit-ups at the top of each minute.
I held first, then my partner held for me. He's pretty new, but did ok with holding. Next was a 3-minute lateral movement drill. Pads man moves laterally along a line, hitter tries to follow. Every now and then, pad holder holds up pads for a 1-2. Aim is to try stay on them and be able to throw a nice tidy combo as soon as the target is there.
Last round was 3 minutes of, in partners again, one person doing continuous straight punches on the heavy bag while their partner did 4 lengths running across the matts. After 4 lengths, tag your partner and switch roles. Kept it up for 3 minutes.
Finished off with some nice stretching.

20/02/2013:

Thought about doing a little conditioning today, decided against it. Just did a half hour in the sauna. Post-sauna weight was under 70kg for the first time. Still 2 days, and 2kg to go.
Feel miserable, every time I get up I'm reminded how much it sucks to have to cut weight. 2 days to go. Then I can eat. The next day, I can fight. I can get in the ring, I can do this thing, I can feel all those things that remind me why I'm doing this, why I love this sport, and I'm going to learn, I'm going to improve and then I'm going to fight again. I have so much to do.

20/02/2013:

Thought about doing a little conditioning today, decided against it. Just did a half hour in the sauna. Post-sauna weight was under 70kg for the first time. Still 2 days, and 2kg to go.
Feel miserable, every time I get up I'm reminded how much it sucks to have to cut weight. 2 days to go. Then I can eat. The next day, I can fight. I can get in the ring, I can do this thing, I can feel all those things that remind me why I'm doing this, why I love this sport, and I'm going to learn, I'm going to improve and then I'm going to fight again. I have so much to do.
How long have you been cutting weight and where did you start at? What you each everyday?

Good luck. Push kick to the face ko!

I had a friend who actually pulled this off. He was that type of fighter though. His style was " walk forward while kicking and screaming FUCK YOU in his head.

Good luck with the rest of the cut and your fight. Is this fight with elbows allowed? If so, I request a spinning back elbow KO :)

How long have you been cutting weight and where did you start at? What you each everyday?

You can read my weight cut thread here: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2387979

Good luck. Push kick to the face ko!

I had a friend who actually pulled this off. He was that type of fighter though. His style was " walk forward while kicking and screaming FUCK YOU in his head.

Your friend sounds like a cool guy haha. My teep is more a range-finder, as well as a defensive weapon. I like using it to keep people off balance, and frustrate them too (if I can get it working well enough).

Good luck with the rest of the cut and your fight. Is this fight with elbows allowed? If so, I request a spinning back elbow KO :)

Sorry, no elbows yet- should have one by the end of the year. Bodyweight this morning was 68.8kg, so less than a kilo to go.
I think I want to use low kicks, clinch and knees this fight. Hopefully I remain calm enough to be able to actually think this time!

Back