Can't teach an old Kiwi new tricks.

01/02/2013:

AM:

Prehab:
Some standing cable external rotations, 2 sets of 15 reps each arm, followed by a set of halos with a 10kg weight plate. Decided I dislike this exercise somewhat, won't be using it much in future.

Cardio:
Hill sprints. Warmed up with a short jog (maybe ten minutes?) and then after a minute or two of recovery, 6 reps of a 150-200m hill. Each rep was probably under 30 seconds. Not a fun thing to do in the midday heat in the height of summer.

PM:

Muay Thai:
A few 2-minute rounds of sparring, and then about 9 rounds of sparring, one in one out each minute with three of us rotating (so, just under half an hour total). Focused on boxing for a few rounds, as well as just general technique. Going to start working more drills and doing more padwork with 10oz gloves in the short stretch leading up to the fight over the next couple of weeks.

Boxing starting in close, elbows touching your partner's. The reason it's called that is supposedly that you should be able to do it inside of a phone booth since you're sticking so close to each other.

Does anyone actually use phone booths anymore? I don't even know where my nearest one is thesedays.

02/02/2013:

Strength:

Deadlift: 5/3/1 reps: 5 x 110kg, 5 x 130kg, 5+ x 145kg (5 reps), 1 x 165kg, 1 x 180kg

Military press: 5/3/1 reps: 5 x 35kg, 5 x 40kg, 5+ x 45kg (10 reps)

Front squat: 5 x 60kg, 5 x 70kg, 2 x 5 x 80kg

Dumbbell row: 6 x 32kg, 6 x 36kg, 6 x 40kg

Close-grip bench: 8 x 20kg, 8 x 40kg, 8 x 50kg, 8 x 55kg

Muay Thai:
Started off with light sparring, then a few rounds of clinch work. After clinching, had a few rounds alternating between pads and bag work. After pad work, some drilling focusing on body rips. Training time, 1 hour 45 minutes. More roadwork to do tonight too.

03/02/2013:

AM:

Muay Thai:
Started off with a few 3-minute rounds of skipping, then a few rounds of shadow boxing. Finished with 5 rounds of bag work. Right shin isn't feeling so good, must have been checked during sparring a couple of days ago.

Prehab:
3 sets of 15 each arm of external cable rotations, elbow supported rotations, and standing dumbbell external rotations.

More to come tonight.

04/02/2013:

Mentioned at work this morning that I felt like taking a rest day today. One of my coworkers called into question whether or not I knew what a rest day was. I laughed it off, of course I know what a rest day is. I'm great at taking rest days.

Muay Thai:
Warmed up with a couple of rounds of bag work, then a couple of rounds of shadow boxing and some burpees thrown in. Afterwards, a couple of 5-minute rounds of focus mitt work, working one combination for 30 seconds at a time and then changing. After that, skipped for a few minutes, rested a little bit, skipped some more, then 3 x 2-minute focus mitt rounds of counters to overhand rights and left hooks. After that, skipped for another couple of rounds. Only one guy turned up for fighter's class tonight, so I took him through about 30-40 minutes of kick catching drills, and then held pads for him for 3 rounds.

See? Nice, easy rest day.

You have a fight coming up, dont take it too easy :)

While this is true, it's definitely important to be able to listen to your body. If you're feeling fatigued and worn out, then a rest day can definitely be helpful, as opposed to running yourself into the ground.

05/02/2013:

Prehab:
2 sets of 15 of cable external rotations, 2 sets of 15 of elbow-supported rotations. Used 3kg for these instead of the usual 2kg.

Core:
3 sets of 10 of leg raises on the dip handles. Made sure to push my hips forward, and lift my legs high up. Much harder.
3 sets of 16 Russian twists with a 15kg plate
3 sets of 3-speed flutter kicks (10 4-count, 10 2-count, 10 1-count each set).
3 sets of 15 back extensions

Conditioning:

15-minute AMRAP:

10 inverted rows
15 push-ups
20 squats
25 double-unders

7 rounds + 15 push-ups

The rows and push-ups were the killers here. No problem with my shoulder at the time, but now that I'm at home and sitting down and it's been a while, there's a small twinge in it. Nothing too bad, but I know it's there. Still, first time in a while I've been able to do push-ups normally.

Muay Thai:
Got to training tonight. Turned out we had more running and conditioning to do. Yayyyyyy. Ran to a nearby car park, where we set out some cones. Did 3 x 2-minute rounds of jogging around the park first to warm up, then a quick stretch. After this, 3-minute rounds of sprint drills.
First drill, sprint forward about 20-30m, grapevine about 10-15m left, run backwards 20-30m, grapevine right 10-15m. Repeat as many times as possible in 3 minutes.
Second drill, sprint forward as hard as possible through the line on the other side, then decelerate, and jog back to the start slow enough to be able to put in another 100% effort when you get there.
Last drill, high knees lateral jogging across the length of the course, 5 push-ups upon reaching the other side, then repeat going back and forth for 3 minutes.
After that, 3 x 2-minute pad rounds on focus mitts. Focus was on speed and technique, as opposed to power.
After that, 30-meter sprints. Everyone lined up and raced each other, starting stomachs on the ground. Last person each time was eliminated. Some very close races, in the end I came 2nd, which I was surprised by. Unfortunately, 2nd is still last place in a combat sport.

After that, back to the gym. 3 rounds of phone box sparring, then about 7 or 8 rounds of regular sparring. Can't remember exactly how many I did. Felt pretty good though. Feeling nice and tidy today.

Last edited:
Make sure you keep your ability to listen to your body. True over training is a shitty place to be.

06/02/2013:

Strength:

Squat: 5/3/1 reps: 3 x 97.5kg, 3 x 102.5kg, 3+ x 110kg (5 reps)

Bench press: 5/3/1 reps: 3 x 60kg, 3 x 65kg, 3+ x 70kg (6 reps)

Chin-ups: 5 x BW, 2 x 3 x BW (one-handed), 2 x 10 x BW

Good mornings: 5 x 40kg, 5 x 50kg, 2 x 5 x 60kg

See-saw press: 12 x 18kg, 2 x 12 x 22kg

Notes:
Bench pressing is the only thing that feels shitty. Interestingly, pain in my shoulder is greatly lessened by using a wider grip and flaring my elbows out a bit, as well as bringing it lower down my chest. See-saw press felt fine and dandy though.

Muay Thai:
Just a real short session today. Warmed up with a short bit of skipping, 3 x 3-minute bag rounds, and then into some sparring. Nice relaxed training session.

Last edited:
08/02/2013:

Muay Thai:
Wound up taking the beginners class about 20 minutes after it started. Had them do 2-minute rounds with 60 seconds rest. First round was rear roundhouse only, second round was switch roundhouse, third was alternating left/right push kicks, then a drill of doing a push kick and then roundhouse kick with opposite leg, and then last round was a roundhouse kick and then a push kick with the same leg. After everyone had done their rounds, geared up for some light kick sparring, started off with kick for kick for the first few rounds.
After that, bowed in, shadow boxed for 3 rounds, then gloved up and did 5 x 5-minute rounds. First round was just kicks on the heavy bag, second round was punches and knees on the medium bag (finished with 30 seconds running knees), third round was working boxing on the tear-drop bag. Fourth round, worked on the uppercut and hook box mounted on the wall, and fifth round did a round of one-on-one padwork with my trainer just focusing on hands again.
Finished with a light bit of sparring and then taking one person through some kick catching technique.

When you are doing your own training and you do pad work do you have a dedicated padholder or do you have to take turns holding pads for each other?

When you are doing your own training and you do pad work do you have a dedicated padholder or do you have to take turns holding pads for each other?

Usually take turns. Our gym is composed of fighters- no real "trainers" as such, apart from our head trainer.

EDIT: Should probably add that I do, however, do most of my pad work with one of the other fighters who's my size, but a bit more experienced.

Last edited:
08/02/2013:

Strength:

One-arm DB press: 8 x 16kg, 5 x 20kg, 2 x 5 x 24kg

Pistol squat: 3 x 5 x 6kg

DB row: 5 x 36kg, 2 x 5 x 40kg

GHR: 3 x 5

Close-grip chin-up: 3 x 12
superset
Close-grip push-up: 3 x 15

Conditioning:
Short jog to warm up, then 6 reps of hill sprints. Last sprint, 10 burpees at the bottom of the hill, 10 squat jumps at the top, as a finisher. More for mental toughness than anything.

10/02/2013:

Strength:

Deadlift: 5/3/1 reps: 3 x 120kg, 3 x 135kg, 3+ x 155kg (3 reps), 1 x 175kg, 1 x 192.5kg (PR)

Yeah, that's all I had time for this morning.

Muay Thai:
Warmed up with a few rounds of skipping, then a couple of rounds of shadow boxing. Did a few rounds of light sparring with 10oz gloves, just to get used to the feel of defending and also attacking with smaller gloves. Shots get through easier both ways. After a few rounds of that a short break, then normal sparring with 16oz gloves on. Finished the session with 3 x 3-minute rounds, 30 seconds break between each round and 20 kicks each leg during the last 30 seconds of each round. Felt rough as guts doing pads today, but sparring seemed alright.

10/02/2013:

Strength:

Deadlift: 5/3/1 reps: 3 x 120kg, 3 x 135kg, 3+ x 155kg (3 reps), 1 x 175kg, 1 x 192.5kg (PR)

Yeah, that's all I had time for this morning.

Great PR. And by stopping right after, you only have good memories to take from the workout.

Back