Can't put on weight...

Well if you're trying to gain weight, you don't have to worry quite as much about how healthy everything you eat is. Obviously you don't want to gain just fat, and you need to supply the nutrients required to put on lean mass, but both those objectives can be accomplished while still eating plenty of the things you like, even if they're not 'health food'.

You should not be aloud to give advice in this forum.:icon_lol:

Add a meal of Salmon & Avocado every evening. It's calorie dense, loaded with protein, and has a lot of healthy fats that will help keep weight on you.

Damn, I totally forgot about avocados - I need to add those to my diet. Salmon every night - isn't that bad (because of the mercury) or is that just a myth?

And don't listen to these guys saying you don't have to eat healthy to gain lean muscle mass - they don't know wtf they're talking about.

^ yeah I know.. I've tried just eating everything I want b4, and yeah I gain weight and get a little stronger, but almost ALL of that extra weight goes right onto ur belly..no thanks..

You should not be aloud to give advice in this forum.:icon_lol:

Hey, a little overly harsh here?

I'm just speaking from personal experience...when I'm really training hard, I can down a pint of ice cream every night before bed and not gain weight. Not that I do....usually...I'm just saying that generally, people who have trouble bulking just don't eat enough, period, and anything that gets them to eat more will help. If you have a huge caloric intake every day, not all of it needs to be veggies and cottage cheese.

Damn, I totally forgot about avocados - I need to add those to my diet. Salmon every night - isn't that bad (because of the mercury) or is that just a myth?

I belive The higher you go up the food chain the more Mercury levels go up. Something like shark contains a lot more then Salmon. I thought i had seen a post about how to choose your fish for mercury levels, but i cant recall the thread name or if it even existed :redface:

Aslo BLOCK, if you dont mind putting stuff in your shakes, the foods you have a hard time eating start putting them in your shakes, it will help you get those foods down you might not normaly eat(eg you mentioned you didnt like eating oatmeal, well you can have it in your shakes if you can handle that)

Ps there was a better quote about eating food that is good for you regardless of the taste, i belive it went something like this...

"I'd eat muff every day if it had health benefits"

I thought that was a little more too the point :icon_twis

I belive The higher you go up the food chain the more Mercury levels go up. Something like shark contains a lot more then Salmon. I thought i had seen a post about how to choose your fish for mercury levels, but i cant recall the thread name or if it even existed :redface:

Aslo BLOCK, if you dont mind putting stuff in your shakes, the foods you have a hard time eating start putting them in your shakes, it will help you get those foods down you might not normaly eat(eg you mentioned you didnt like eating oatmeal, well you can have it in your shakes if you can handle that)

Ps there was a better quote about eating food that is good for you regardless of the taste, i belive it went something like this...

"I'd eat muff every day if it had health benefits"

I thought that was a little more too the point :icon_twis

I remember that thread also, and there was a link on there if I remember right. I don't know where it is, but here's one to an FDA chart on mercury levels in fish: Mercury

And I like the quote. :icon_lol:

shark and other pelagic or migratory deep water fish have waaay lower levels of mercury actually... inshore species have much higher mercury levels... heres a pic from lastnight btw ;) I'm the one on the right with 2 much ink...

t280_004.jpg

Did you look at the link above? According to the US Dept of Health shark is the second highest on that pretty long list of fish.

Pretty cool pic anyway. You look a tad out of place.

I never understood the logic that mercury levels are higher in fish that are bigger.
Sure, as a whole, they'll have a more total combined amount of mercury, but proportionally, a big fish should have the same amount of mercury per square inch as a small fish would.

I heard that it depends on how long the fish lives. Like a fish that lives for a week won't have time to build up much mercury in their bodies as opposed to a fish that lives 5 years.

Did you look at the link above? According to the US Dept of Health shark is the second highest on that pretty long list of fish.

Pretty cool pic anyway. You look a tad out of place.

I look out of place cuz I'm the captain and those are some tourists dressed for golf that just caught like their first fish ever..

And I don't need to look at a link to know about mercury levels in fish..the way they rate them is bullshit...mako and thresher shark are not high in mercury..and if they listed any other type of shark its pointless because those are the only 2 sharks worth eating..sounds like a PETA scam to get people to back off the sharks lol..

shark and other pelagic or migratory deep water fish have waaay lower levels of mercury actually... inshore species have much higher mercury levels... heres a pic from lastnight btw ;) I'm the one on the right with 2 much ink...

Mercury is in the ocean/sea from polution, what happens is everything in the ocean/sea absorbs small amounts, the problem is, the little fish eat stuff, bigger fish eat those fish, BIGGER fish eat those big fish, on and on until these fish are consumed by sharks. we eat shark and we basicly get all the saved up mercury levels from all the fish they eat.

This was the way i understood it anyways, and the chart thats linked also confirms that usualy the bigger fish(higher on the food chain) has more mercury.:icon_conf

With all this D&S talk though this is my understanding, but i may be wrong but i thought i would pass on my reasoning for my comment about sharks containing higher mercury.

Mercury is in the ocean/sea from polution, what happens is everything in the ocean/sea absorbs small amounts, the problem is, the little fish eat stuff, bigger fish eat those fish, BIGGER fish eat those big fish, on and on until these fish are consumed by sharks. we eat shark and we basicly get all the saved up mercury levels from all the fish they eat.

This was the way i understood it anyways, and the chart thats linked also confirms that usualy the bigger fish(higher on the food chain) has more mercury.:icon_conf

With all this D&S talk though this is my understanding, but i may be wrong but i thought i would pass on my reasoning for my comment about sharks containing higher mercury.

^ not bad reasoning and it probably has some truth to it... Myself and other fisherman will never agree with this tho due to the fact that sharks and swordfish are a deep water migratory fish and spend most of their time a good ways offshore in cleaner water...thus the other fish they mainly consume will be in the deeper cleaner water...

heres the 1 thing that throws me way off... when you look at the limitations to "commercially" caught fish...in the past 20 years commercial shark fishing has been pushed to outside 20 miles from our coast during the main season..whereas "sardines" and many of the other small fish listed on that chart have almost no limitations and can be fished very close to the beach in our "polluted waters" ...so it makes me think that the data is BS because either a.) the merc levels in shark and many other small fish listed in that chart should be getting closer every year and end up higher than shark eventually...or b.) they are sampling fish from different coasts and flawing the data completely.. ok I'm tired of typing now..Kinda tough to explain..

I see your reasoning, and it makes me wonder where the data is comming from, near shore or are they sampling from all over... hmmm the plot thick'ins.

This was my understanding too, as well as what ninjajesus said. Don't the larger fish generally live longer as well?

I am far from an expert on seafood, although I love it. I live in Colorado, and it's about a 14 hour drive to the nearest shore

This was my understanding too, as well as what ninjajesus said. Don't the larger fish generally live longer as well?

I am far from an expert on seafood, although I love it. I live in Colorado, and it's about a 14 hour drive to the nearest shore

I mean half of the fish listed on the chart was baitfish that is less than 6 months old when caught... sharks and tuna as well as other large game fish caught commercially actually grow pretty damn fast...The size caught by commercial guys is usually less than a few years old..

heres some good info ;)

Fish Scam

Pretty cool. According to that I can eat like 12# of salmon a week without problem. :D

However, that also seems to have shark as the highest in mercury, followed closely by swordfish. I can only eat about 1.3# of either of those per week. Like that'll be a problem, lol.

^yeah I have no problem admitting that shark might have higher levels than other small fish because it consumes them...my arguement was more that even the level of merc that shark and swordfish have is not dangerous at all...the only fish that could actually be bad for ya are fish that live in and around the bays..spotted baybass...halibut, bass, and sculpin, caught in the harbor...ect...looking back at my posts i didn't make much sense :icon_chee

I remember when I was 28 and trying to gain weight...10 years later and I've turned a 180. My ****bolism has slowed with age so I do the same exercises to lose weight...go figure.

(Although the diet has changed soemwhat)

Back