Can't put on weight...

Damn dude sorry to offend you.. I asked about the supplements because I would like to know more about them and now I do so thanks.. I said in an earlier post that I like the veggie shake deal and I am gonna try that out.. I also asked what kind of foods would be a good swap for my lameass lunch sandwhiches, but didn't get much response..I am definately gonna be changing my diet dude...People talk about "good fats" and I don't know much about them, but I'm gonna check out the links those dudes posted also and see if I can find more info...Like I said..my main problem is that I have to prepare my food for work cuz I'm on a boat and I get lazy alot and just go with the turkey and bread lol...

BLOCK, the best bit of advice I can give you is listen to people like Vedic, MikeMartial, KingKabuki, David Barr, Justin Harris, etc and even more importantly, read the FAQ. There is a shitload of valuable info in there. Follow all those links, and read & learn. I thought I knew all I needed to know about nutrition before I came here. Now I realize I've learned more in the last 6 months or so than I knew before and I'm still woefully ignorant on the subject.

^^ yeah I have no problem admitting I know nothing about my diet.. Thats why I'm asking for help ;) Not sure wht that dude is pissed off at me I am very thankful for his advice on the diet and on the supplements.. I want to toss those supps in the trash if they are really hindering me from gaining weight..

another question.. you guys said to keep the yolks...I am willing to try this, but everyone has always told me that the yolk is mostly just cholesterol...? Can someone explain this..?

Mix a whole bunch of spinach (~2 cups) or less spinach + some broccoli in with your protein shakes. You can hardly taste them at all. That's how I stomach the majority of my veggies. Though, not all veggies go without taste when blended - I tried lettuce & carrots once when I was out of spinach/broccoli and it tasted like ass.

you use raw or steamed in the shakes..? Does it change the taste.>? I'm off to the store 2nite to buy a bunch of both..

you use raw or steamed in the shakes..? Does it change the taste.>? I'm off to the store 2nite to buy a bunch of both..

Always raw (convenience). Though, I was just reading about the nutrients of spinach..look at this:

Cooked or raw? Both have their advantages. Whereas cooking reduces Vitamin C and folate levels, it simultaneously boosts beta-carotein and lutein bioavailability. A sensible idea is to have it both ways. Have spinach raw in your lunch salads and cooked in your evening dinner, for example. Some varieties of spinach are rarely eaten raw, though baby spinach is common in salads. If cooked, it is best lightly steamed to preserve nutrients as much as possible.

And.. Spinach is best eaten fresh. It loses nutritional properties with each passing day. Although refrigeration slows the deterioration, half of the major nutrients are lost by the eighth day after harvest. (For long term storage, freeze while fresh.) When fresh, it has crisp leaves. As they deteriorate, the leaves turn limp. via SpinachWords.com

This worries me a little.. Most of the spinach I buy is packaged, pre-washed baby spinach - I wonder how "fresh" that really is.. The leaves aren't limp, though. I do go through it pretty fast.

another question.. you guys said to keep the yolks...I am willing to try this, but everyone has always told me that the yolk is mostly just cholesterol...? Can someone explain this..?

I remember reading on these forums that was BS, though I'd wait for someone else to verify as well..

he is worrying about a diuretic

Esh, I hope you don't mean the caffeine in superpump, lest the mad physiologist make a return to refute that notion for the thousandth time in his 6 years on the board.

Always raw (convenience). Though, I was just reading about the nutrients of spinach..look at this:

Cooked or raw? Both have their advantages. Whereas cooking reduces Vitamin C and folate levels, it simultaneously boosts beta-carotein and lutein bioavailability. A sensible idea is to have it both ways. Have spinach raw in your lunch salads and cooked in your evening dinner, for example. Some varieties of spinach are rarely eaten raw, though baby spinach is common in salads. If cooked, it is best lightly steamed to preserve nutrients as much as possible.

And.. Spinach is best eaten fresh. It loses nutritional properties with each passing day. Although refrigeration slows the deterioration, half of the major nutrients are lost by the eighth day after harvest. (For long term storage, freeze while fresh.) When fresh, it has crisp leaves. As they deteriorate, the leaves turn limp. via SpinachWords.com

This worries me a little.. Most of the spinach I buy is packaged, pre-washed baby spinach - I wonder how "fresh" that really is.. The leaves aren't limp, though. I do go through it pretty fast.

Thanks for that info likkuid. I've just been eating it raw 100% of the time. Guess it's time to dig the steamer back out.

THIS may be the reason peanuts are left out. I know I won't eat it anymore. Now I prefer almond butter & cashew butter anyway.

BLOCK said:

Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on blood cholesterol, and eggs actually mimic the effects of anti-cholesterol drugs. HERE is that thread.

Oh, and Vedic's not necessarily pissed at you. (I don't think) But ya gotta see it from his point of view. It did seem like you came in asking for advice and then didn't want to take it. Happens all the time, people come in here asking for help with something when all they really want is for everyone to agree with them and tell them they are doing right. People like that aren't worth wasting your time on, cause they're not listening with an open mind anyway.

Oh, and for future reference - Pretty much anything from Muscletech is overpriced garbage. Some are decent products, but not for the prices they charge. They take out 20 pages or so worth of full page ads in every bodybuilding & fitness mag on the racks and pass that expense on to you.

eat corn beef hash, with a side of steak, finish up with potatoes till you puke, then after you catch your breath, eat some more, and then wash it all down a gallon of whole milk.

repeat this 5 times daily and you should see some results

seriously tho, forget about all this egg white, oatmeal, tun fish bullshit. shove dead cows down your throat. you need to eat to gain weight/muscle mass

How old is that article Monger? I thought I read something recently where he was advocating flax, but emphatically NOT flax oil. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but I thought that was from a recent interview with him.

It was published in 2002. I know where you're going with the flax oil. Last I knew, Berardi's stance was just to keep it in moderation. I think he said that he still uses 1tbsp a day but no more. That was just an example list because I was too lazy to type shit myself :D I personally never use flax oil anymore but I do use flax seeds occasionally.

eat corn beef hash, with a side of steak, finish up with potatoes till you puke, then after you catch your breath, eat some more, and then wash it all down a gallon of whole milk.

repeat this 5 times daily and you should see some results

seriously tho, forget about all this egg white, oatmeal, tun fish bullshit. shove dead cows down your throat. you need to eat to gain weight/muscle mass

Simply bombarding the body with calorie dense food ignoring nutritional viability is very very stupid and unnecessary.

last 2 days I added a can of V8 in the am, and a decent amount of carrots and brocoli with dinner...also brought some plane pasta for lunch with my turkey sand.. oh and I am gonna cut out the superpump and leukick for at least a month here and see how that goes..

I am still trying to add something to my breakfast.. I really don't like oatmeal, but a while back I bought the muscle milk oats n protein and they weren't bad at all..I might load up on those again...sorry if I came off like I didn't like some of the suggestions for foods, but I am just a super picky eater and some of the stuff people listed I would never eat...I am working on a better diet tho, and I'll give an update in about 6 months and maybe even add some b4 and after pix..

Ya know, another poster had an excellent quote that I used as my sig for a while. I don't remember exactly how it went, but it was something like this:

"I could give two shits if something tastes good as long as it's good for me and makes me not full. Eat to live, don't live to eat."

That is exactly what your philosophy on diet should be. You think I eat kale cause it tastes good? Hell the cashier at Walmart one time when I bought it there said she had never heard of people eating it, she thought it was only used as turtle food.

Ya know, another poster had an excellent quote that I used as my sig for a while. I don't remember exactly how it went, but it was something like this:

"I could give two shits if something tastes good as long as it's good for me and makes me not full. Eat to live, don't live to eat."

That is exactly what your philosophy on diet should be. You think I eat kale cause it tastes good? Hell the cashier at Walmart one time when I bought it there said she had never heard of people eating it, she thought it was only used as turtle food.

^ yeah thats true man, but for right now if I wanna stick to a strict diet it's gotta be mostly stuff that I like and is good for me and will help my goals at the same time..I am slowly adding stuff (like the veggies) that I don't like, but I've gotta take it slow so I don't get burnt out...thanx for the input!

Well if you're trying to gain weight, you don't have to worry quite as much about how healthy everything you eat is. Obviously you don't want to gain just fat, and you need to supply the nutrients required to put on lean mass, but both those objectives can be accomplished while still eating plenty of the things you like, even if they're not 'health food'.

look up this bread food called "bagel"

it is really dense so one of these bagels no matter how you prepare it is like 300-400 calories

so eat one of these bagel things with milk daily, thats like 500 extra calories

Simply bombarding the body with calorie dense food ignoring nutritional viability is very very stupid and unnecessary.

yes really, you can eat clean healthy food and still make gains in weight and strength if you are heavy lifting. I've put on a couple kg in the last 4 months eating clean and lifting heavy. WTF at the guy who said you don't need to eat nutritionally viable caloric food.

~Foz

Add a meal of Salmon & Avocado every evening. It's calorie dense, loaded with protein, and has a lot of healthy fats that will help keep weight on you.

Back