Can't put on weight...

BLOCK

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm 23 years old, 6'0" 180 (I would guess about 6-8% body fat)... and have been this height and weight since about age 16...I have lifted weights on and off for about 8 years.. But I got serious lifting hard 4 days a week consistent for the last 2 years... I have also been boxing 2 x a week and/or grappling 2x a week on and off for the last 2 years...And run 3-5 miles once a week...In the past 2 years I've gotten in great shape and look a bit bigger, but I haven't gained an ounce...I really want to get to 200 lbs within the next year or two and stay in this kind of shape... Any help would be appreciated...here is my diet on an average day...

5-7 egg whites w/ 1 yolk and 2 pieces of dry toast with a big glass of milk or OJ
protein bar or shake w/ piece of fruit
1 double chicken breast sandwich dry /bottle of water
protein bar (promax)
2 big turkey sandwich dry /bottle of water (1-2 hours apart)
protein shake (either pure pro or ~30G whey powder w water)
fruit b4 workout
creatine/superpump250/leukic pump b4 workout (usually just choose 2, but sometimes all 3)
lots of water @ gym
protein shake with glucosamine and fish oil pill right after workout
pasta and chicken/or ground beef with big glass of milk (sometimes garlic bread and vegi's too)

^^that is actually a semi light day..I often add an extra protein bar and another chicken breast sandwhich in there..what am I doing wrong here guys..? More carbs..? More "good" fats..??? I'm gonna try to start eating some rice or pasta with lunch and see if that helps at all...I work on a sport fishing boat so its a pain in the ass to get a lot of healthy food for lunch.. Thats why I've been gettin by with the turkey sandwiches...

superpump250

Cut that out, stimulants won't help you gain weight, they'll make it significantly harder.

leukic pump

Not necessary.

Eat the egg yolks, don't cut them out and only eat whites. Replace your protein shake with something a little more calorie dense. Muscle Milk or a knock-off blend is good if convenience is an issue. And I see almost no green vegetables. Add in as many of those as you can stomach, the greener the better.

My guess is your problem is too much simple carbs, not enough complex (specifically greens), low calorie shakes, and the superpump use.

Also, sleep. If you're not getting 8 hours sleep you won't grow much, especially if you're lifting heavy, which you should be. Muscles need a reason to grow, if they can handle the workload you're currently doing, no reason to grow.

Yeah, everything KK just said ^^^

Really that looks more like a cutting diet than one intended to gain.

I'm 23 years old, 6'0" 180 (I would guess about 6-8% body fat)... and have been this height and weight since about age 16...I have lifted weights on and off for about 8 years.. But I got serious lifting hard 4 days a week consistent for the last 2 years... I have also been boxing 2 x a week and/or grappling 2x a week on and off for the last 2 years...And run 3-5 miles once a week...In the past 2 years I've gotten in great shape and look a bit bigger, but I haven't gained an ounce...I really want to get to 200 lbs within the next year or two and stay in this kind of shape... Any help would be appreciated...here is my diet on an average day...

5-7 egg whites w/ 1 yolk and 2 pieces of dry toast with a big glass of milk or OJ
protein bar or shake w/ piece of fruit
1 double chicken breast sandwich dry /bottle of water
protein bar (promax)
2 big turkey sandwich dry /bottle of water (1-2 hours apart)
protein shake (either pure pro or ~30G whey powder w water)
fruit b4 workout
creatine/superpump250/leukic pump b4 workout (usually just choose 2, but sometimes all 3)
lots of water @ gym
protein shake with glucosamine and fish oil pill right after workout
pasta and chicken/or ground beef with big glass of milk (sometimes garlic bread and vegi's too)

^^that is actually a semi light day..I often add an extra protein bar and another chicken breast sandwhich in there..what am I doing wrong here guys..? More carbs..? More "good" fats..??? I'm gonna try to start eating some rice or pasta with lunch and see if that helps at all...I work on a sport fishing boat so its a pain in the ass to get a lot of healthy food for lunch.. Thats why I've been gettin by with the turkey sandwiches...

Well first whats with all the bread? I can say flat out thats its your diet that is hindering you. I don't even know how you train lol. Keep all the yolks in meal one. scrap the toast, add Quiona or oats, also how about some fruit.. Then a turkey sandwich, why not 2 servisome turkey with two servings of veggies, and a serving of nuts or olives. Creatine is fine, but you might want a different product. Where are the carbs PWO? And then again bread with dinner. Seriously where are the veggies and healthy fat? Its easy for me to see the errors, should be easy for you as well. 5-8 servings of veggies a day, good protein, and good healthy fats. You are missing almost all of that. So of course you can't gain weight.

thanx for the advice so far guys.. Yeah I get plenty of sleep and I'm recovering fine..getting stronger...

So I need more vegies eh...? I recently got this stuff called greens-to-go... forgot to list that on there... its a powder with like 1 serv of veg 1 of fruit..but yeah I'm sure thats not enough...Can you guys suggest some foods to replace the bread and stuff..?? I'm really a pretty picky eater and like I said its a pain to bring my own food on the boat... Whats easy and quick but better than my lameass turkey sand lunch..?

also forgot to mention its' non-fat milk I drink.. maybe bump to 2%..???

Mix a whole bunch of spinach (~2 cups) or less spinach + some broccoli in with your protein shakes. You can hardly taste them at all. That's how I stomach the majority of my veggies. Though, not all veggies go without taste when blended - I tried lettuce & carrots once when I was out of spinach/broccoli and it tasted like ass.

Can you guys suggest some foods to replace the bread and stuff..??

Anything here for the most part
WHFoods: The World's Healthiest Foods

And I ripped this list off from a Berardi article

Protein
Fish: Salmon, Tuna, Cod
Eggs
Chicken breasts
Cottage cheese
Milk protien isolates
Whey-casein blends
Lean Red Meat

Carbohydrates
Vegetables
Mixed beans
Low-GI fruits
Oatmeal/Oat bran
Mixed-grain bread
Small amounts of protein-enriched pasta

Fats
Flax oil
EPA/DHA
Olive oil
Mixed nuts (no peanuts)
Fish oil

Almond Butter is your friend.

I'd suggest keeping track of all of the nutritional content you put in your body. It's hard if you eat out a lot, but IMO there is no substitue for seeing your food as numbers and manipulating them in that manner to get the desired results.

you guys have been great thanks so much.. I really like the veggie/shake idea! I'll give ya an update in like 6 months and see where I'm at..

and also you really think I should just ditch the superpump and leukic..??

When I gained good weight for baseball most of my meals were....

Oatmeal
eggs
peanut butter
fruit

Veggies
Brown Rice
Beans
Meat

Protein shakes with dextrose and liquid fish oil. I would be stuffed by 5 pm and I would continue to eat. I'm amazed when ppl say they can't gain weight. Simple solution: increase calories. Obviously, in the perfect world that would mean I'd eat 10 600 calorie honey buns and call it a day. But, you know what I mean.

Wtf.. that is big as shit for someone that only lifts off and on and has less than 10% bodyfat... You must be strong as shit or have massive bones.

Wtf.. that is big as shit for someone that only lifts off and on and has less than 10% bodyfat... You must be strong as shit or have massive bones.

yeah I guess I'm pretty good size, but I wanna be bigger :D Most people actually think I am around 200 already and are shocked when I say I only weigh 180...

Anything here for the most part
WHFoods: The World's Healthiest Foods

And I ripped this list off from a Berardi article

Fats
Flax oil
EPA/DHA
Olive oil
Mixed nuts (no peanuts)
Fish oil

How old is that article Monger? I thought I read something recently where he was advocating flax, but emphatically NOT flax oil. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but I thought that was from a recent interview with him.

Do you like flushing your money down the toilet?

well the superpump gets me all amped up and into the mood to workout.. and the leukic makes my muscles 2x as pumped by the end of a workout...I'm no expert and have no clue if this translates into muscle growth, but it "seems" like its doing something...the money isn't a big issue cuz I only take like 1/3 the recommended serving and it lasts a while..But someone said that it would be harder to gain weight while taking the superpump..>??? Why is that..???

again thanx for the help here guys!

Oh god. Number one the super pump has a diuretic in it, that WILL NOT HELP with weight gain. Then the "pump" pumps have not a damn thing to do with getting stronger or getting bigger. You penis gets "pumped" all the time yet doesn't grow over time. Blood flow is not indicitive of growth.

Not to mention you don't ask what veggies or healthy fats you should be using, or what to replace the bread with etc. Instead you worry about your "supps" which won't do anything if your diet is not in check, which it isn't.

I mean really why ask a damn question if you don't want to listen to what people are telling you. I am done on this thread, and done kicking a dead horse.

LOL. Ya know, Vedic, I appreciate the advice you've given me and this is in no way meant to be an insult, but every time I see this pic I can't help but think of you.
Subtlety.jpg

hahaha ya that is true.

However its pretty simple. These threads have been coming up a lot lately, either "I can't gain weight" or "I can't loose weight" yet everytime I open one or Mike or Monger etc, its always the same thing. Diet sucks or workout sucks, or a combination of both. yet everytime they continue to worry about their precious supplements. Supplements are just that, a supplement to a sound diet and training program. This guys diet is horrible, and well he is worrying about a diuretic and a overpriced supplement.

Back