can't keep my guard

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by WAR MMA, Sep 1, 2010.

1. WAR MMA

WAR MMA White Belt

I'm not sure how many of you keep up on my white belt journey blog, but if you do you can see I'm having a lot of issues keeping someone in my guard. Last night was the worst though.

I know being a big round guy and rolling other big round guys that closed guard is but a unicorn. I try hard to keep an open guard of some sort, most recently scissor guard that we learned. I just cannot do it.

Any tips for keeping someone from passing your open guard?

2. Linzy

Linzy Orange Belt

There are a lot of great tips here:
    The Unpassable Guard

Also, are you staying flat? Are you active? Are you controlling your opponent's sleeves? How many points of contact do you have? Are you letting your knees get pushed together?

How is your guard getting passed? Tell us how it's being passed and we can probably offer more helpful tips on recomposing/maintaining that guard. For example, scissor half/z guard...I bet your top knee is too low, like across his belt line instead of up closer to his sternum. Also, are the toes of your top leg pushing against the toes of your bottom leg to get leverage? Finally, are you active and using that guard to make space to recompose half butterfly or normal half guard, or are you just hanging out there until your guard gets passed? If you aren't actively looking to improve your position, your opponent will be looking to improve his.

3. DiscipleOfPog

DiscipleOfPog Green Belt

This is one of the harder parts of the white belt's journey. Most guys get pretty good at passing before they even become decent at retaining an open guard.
    There are different ways to defend depending on what pass the guy is using, but some general tips:
    -Keep moving your hips, don't leave them in one place.
    -Try to keep your feet on his biceps or hips to keep distance.
    -Go to turtle if you have to

4. HulmeHardy**

HulmeHardy** Green Belt

If you want to keep him there, triangle your legs round his back - that way you can also work a couple of sweeps and also the ompalata or if ya a 10th planet dude ya can get into jiu claw.