Can't Get Foot in Hip

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Bryk, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Bryk

Bryk White Belt

I am having trouble when someone is in my guard and they get in real tight on me. They put their elbows on the ground and their arms on my sides, head/body into my chest and legs up real tight on me. I don't know what to do from this position because I always attack with a foot in the hip pretty much. I can't get my knee under him to sweep, I can't really do anything until he changes his position.

Any ideas on what I should be trying to do from this position?

2. DiscipleOfPog

DiscipleOfPog Green Belt

If he's good at this, all you can do is complain about it. Stalling isn't that hard.

3. Goat Meal

Goat Meal Shhh Belt

Attack with stuff and he'll have to open up.

4. Bryk

Bryk White Belt

Right, that was my question: what do I attack with?

5. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

Whitebelt advice:

Try not to lay flat on your back but try to shrimp get your hips out as far as possible to a side and push off with hands , to create space for your knee or your foot on his hip.

Or pull his elbows open for space for your knee to come in.

From guard you can try almost anything to open him up, armbar ,guillotine, sweeps, triangle, kimura ,ezekiel or omaplata.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  6. Goat Meal

Goat Meal Shhh Belt

Gi: collar chokes

No-gi: Push head to one side, get forearm under throat and pull-up, dig for double unders and go to butterfly, etc, etc.

7. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

Push on the side of his head, open your guard, put your foot on the mat, and hip away so you're kind of perpendicular to him. That will make space, then you can put that foot on his hip and start working your armbar or whatever.

8. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

Bring your left arm/shoulder over to your right
    Put your elbow point in his temple and push it with your right hand.

You can also do a guard situp and attack with a DWL/Kimura

also try shrimping out while pushing on his head one way or the other.

9. Bebop

Bebop Brown Belt

my instructors call this neutral position. from there, your opponent's goal is to just hold you in place and rest. i can't remember options from the bottom, but i think they all involve getting to the side.

10. argy-bargy

argy-bargy Green Belt

open up your closed guard and bait him into trying a simple pass, works everytime.

You should be able to snag a sleeve or lapel when he goes for it and then you can start to work an open guard on him.

11. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

Omoplata perhaps? If his elbows are on the floor, shouldn't be too hard to "zombie" his hand to the mat.

12. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

Oh, and guillotine.

13. Apaulo

Apaulo White Belt

i will always attempt a kimura whenever they put there hands to the mat so go for that.

14. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

I don't think alot of people understand what you're taking about with all of these "sit up" and "attack with so and so submission". TS is pinned and his hips are caged. His opponent is tight on him. All he has are his arms to work with.

And if the guy is just trying to stall it's 100% your responsibility to do something about it instead of just accepting defeat like a little bitch.

TS push the head FAR to one side. The other guy can either keep tight and you crank his neck which would fully be his fault because he always has the second reaction; loosen up his grip to relieved pressure from his neck. From there shrimp out and do your thang.

15. Ballzilla

Ballzilla Yellow Belt

The cool thing is you don't have to break his posture. One thing I was taught a couple of weeks ago was to get an over/under and get your head to the outside of his arm (the one with the underhook). After that, you can get a fairly easy arm triangle from guard. If he's not going to posture up and he's just going to lay on you, it seems to me that he's doing over half of your work for you. Am I wrong? I'm a noob so I don't want to be giving bad advice but based on the image I'm getting....this is what I would do.

16. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

That is way easier said than done.

17. Bruce Calavera

Bruce Calavera Purple Belt

I still don't think anyone gets the fact that TS's opponent probably has his elbows on TS's hips, hands on his chest, and face buried in his chest as well. It's pretty impossible to get an under/overhook on an arm when it's all the way down to your hip.

18. HomerPlata

HomerPlata Purple Belt

No he clearly says elbows on the ground.

19. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Cross face.

20. Bathwater

Bathwater Let me clean you with my love

Shift your shoulders over to the side and get your hands in and push his head to the opposite side. Try to push above his ear and not around the his neck as you'll get better leverage this way. Once you have enough space frame against his neck with your forearm (for instance if you've pushed him to the left use your left forearm) and drive him back. This should help make space for you to move your legs around and do little hipscapes.