Can't fall asleep

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by hotborsh, Oct 16, 2013.

1. hotborsh

hotborsh Blue Belt

I'm training from 19:30 till 21:00, i get home around 21:40. I usually go to sleep at 23:00, i don't have any problems falling asleep on the days i don't have bjj, but the days i have - i just can't. I feel very tired and all, but sleep just won't come. Any of you have the same problem? Any tips?

2. Torrid

Torrid Cunning Linguist

Give everyone a little more information.

When do you wake up? What do you eat and how long after practice? What do you do after you get home from training but before you go to bed? Do you take any supplements, especially before BJJ?

also

3. hotborsh

hotborsh Blue Belt

I wake up at 07:00, when i get home i wash my gi, have a shower and drink a protein shake or eat some quark and a sandwich. The only supplements i take are protein, multivitamin and magnesium.

4. Nozza

Nozza Purple Belt

Hot bath shortly before bed does it for me.

5. sh1tehawke

sh1tehawke Purple Belt

i sometimes have a similar problem, the nights i train its from 8 till 9.30. i stay back till 10 usually to hit the bag or spar a few extra rounds, so get to bed between 11 and half past.

a lot of time, though im dead tired, it takes me a long time to nod off. i just assumed it was due to the adrenalin in my system from the sparring or whatever. i never have a problem sleeping on days i don't train and on the nights i go for a run i pretty much fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

6. hotborsh

hotborsh Blue Belt

^ the same problem that i have.

7. sh1tehawke

sh1tehawke Purple Belt

like i say i just thought it was due to being hyped up from the training and i've not found a way of falling to sleep quicker, i just make sure i eat well the next day if i feel overly tired and get a decent nights sleep on non-training nights. just one of those things i suppose.

8. hell wall

hell wall Blue Belt

Ingest a melatonin supplement before sleep time....it will pass you to slumber

9. scottm

scottm Green Belt

I lift at night and have a similar issue, usually I make sure to have some carbs, and take magnesium and melatonin and occasionally valerian and that helps.

10. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

I can get behind the melatonin advice. I've got sleep problems bad enough where I wasn't able to get into the military. Had them all my life 5mg of melatonin a night and I can fall asleep 30 min after laying in bed (used to be an average of 2 hours). Plus I haven't noticed any dependency issues. If I don't take it, i don't even notice. After a few days I go back to my old, bad, sleep habits but they're not any worse than they used to be.

11. Pathogenic

Pathogenic Wo Cao Ni Ma

Read a graduate-level econometrics textbook as soon as you get into bed.

12. Pathogenic

Pathogenic Wo Cao Ni Ma

As a side-note, I've found that staying well-hydrated allows me to sleep significantly better after training. By hydrating, I mean mixing water with Morton's lite salt and some sort of flavoring and drinking it heavily throughout class. Being slightly dehydrated can keep you from falling asleep. I didn't even know this was my problem until I started using the method above and all of my sleeping problems disappeared.

13. FierceRedBelt

FierceRedBelt Red Belt

That's hilarious because the first thing I do when I'm feeling sleepy is drink some water and walk around a little bit. Wakes me up nearly every time.

But I've always been the type who could sleep anywhere and anytime regardless of how much sleep I've had.

14. Tayski

Tayski Stand-up Fighting

I have the same issue after training especially if we do sparring. Get back home around 10.30 by the time I eat and get ready for bed it's already 11 and then the struggle for sleep begins.

the solutions I found helpful: hot shower or bath before bed, and then sex when in bed usually help.
    Also try to avoid video games, TV, or surfing the web between when you get home from training and when you go to sleep. it makes it more difficult to sleep

15. Kerr Smash

Kerr Smash Purple Belt

if baseball is on ill put that on the tv with very little volume....and eventually fall asleep and wake up in the morning to sportsnet highlights. its nice.

if you rly cant sleep then try to take a shower and read a book or drink some hot tea usually helps me.

16. KOnah

KOnah Red Belt

try to go to an earlier class or find a shorter one that allows more chill out time before you hit the sack

17. carlsonbjj

carlsonbjj Orange Belt

do some wellnessfx tests to find out what is wrong

18. KOnah

KOnah Red Belt

Check any pre or post supplements you're taking for stimulants like caffeine etc

19. Nemesis48

Nemesis48 Blue Belt

I had a friend with extreme PTSD, night terrors etc from being blown up in iraq and melatonin worked for him.

20. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

Welcome to the club.

Solution: Watch Demian Maia instructionals