Cant eat like I want to. Intermediate progression instead of SS?

This thread is depressing. I'm tempted to Fed Ex you a shitload of peanut butter.

Since the issue is diet dicking around with different set/rep ranges won't make much difference.

And yeah the best solution is to eat whatever cheap calories you can find.

Im really curious how "over 90% of your 1rm" is easy.

Im really curious how "over 90% of your 1rm" is easy.

I think he meant keep the volume low and the weight high to put as much focus on maximal strength as you can.

again....try 3 sets of 3 or 1 set of 5. doing low volume and low reps will allow you to get an adequate strength stimulus without it feeling like a butt rape from hell on a skimpy diet.

Do they have a dog? If so, eat the dog food or the dog.

I think he meant keep the volume low and the weight high to put as much focus on maximal strength as you can.

again....try 3 sets of 3 or 1 set of 5. doing low volume and low reps will allow you to get an adequate strength stimulus without it feeling like a butt rape from hell on a skimpy diet.

Wow, someone actually used their brain to think about what I wrote instead of just trying to find ways to rip people.

How about that.

I understood what he said and the rep ranges. I still don't see how 3 sets of 3 or 1 of 5 at 90% 1rm (or above as suggested) is easy.

Wow, someone actually used their brain to think about what I wrote instead of just trying to find ways to rip people.

How about that.

When did I try to rip on you? If I were going to rip on you it would have been for "5 reps isn't strength", "it isn't pure strength".

Disagreeing doesn't equal ripping on you.

I found a video of PUO

The rippin and the tearin

I made a mistake when I wrote the "5 reps isn't strength". I really should have just written properly that there are better rep ranges for strength with minimal hypertrophy, especially when you're eating as low as the OP and probably cannot recover from the exercises.

Edit- Heck, even the above doesn't convey what I meant to say accurately.

I had a stupid reaction to this-
I dont really know how much more 'pure strength I can go than 5 reps across 3 sets.

I wanted to convey to the OP that there are better rep/set ranges for pure strength than 3 sets of 5 reps. Multiple sets of 1-3 reps at a higher intensity, for example, won't fuck your muscles up and make you horribly hungry while you're still doing enough to maintain essential muscle and keep the nerves working properly.

Last edited:
I made a mistake when I
wrote the "5 reps isn't strength". I really should have just written
properly that there are better rep ranges for strength with minimal
hypertrophy, especially when you're eating as low as the OP and probably
cannot recover from the exercises.

It happens. I seem to do it freqently on here.

I made a mistake when I wrote the "5 reps isn't strength". I really should have just written properly that there are better rep ranges for strength with minimal hypertrophy, especially when you're eating as low as the OP and probably cannot recover from the exercises.
yes.

I understood what he said and the rep ranges. I still don't see how 3 sets of 3 or 1 of 5 at 90% 1rm (or above as suggested) is easy.
it won't be easy (increasing strength is never easy) but IMO:
doing low volume and low reps will allow you to get an adequate strength stimulus without it feeling like a butt rape from hell on a skimpy diet.

have a nice day.

Yea, I've actually been eating two whoppers three times a week... Dont enjoy it.

For those suggesting oats, peanut butter and eggs.

I'm aware those are the most calorie efficient foods and Im a big big egg man, but I just dont have access to a kitchen.
Also, I am in Spain... so peanut butter is non existent.

Ive been buy sandwiches etc until now.
Life is hard... this squat plateau is embarassing.

Appreciate all the feedback

Your first mistake was eating Whoppers, they are disgusting. I agree with Gawd's link, McDoubles are the boom.

Yea, I've actually been eating two whoppers three times a week... Dont enjoy it.

For those suggesting oats, peanut butter and eggs.

I'm aware those are the most calorie efficient foods and Im a big big egg man, but I just dont have access to a kitchen.
Also, I am in Spain... so peanut butter is non existent.

Ive been buy sandwiches etc until now.
Life is hard... this squat plateau is embarassing.

Appreciate all the feedback

Dude. You need to change your situation. What kind of living situation affords no access to a kitchen? Ask your host family to let you use their kitchen, or move out and rent a room at a different place where you are allowed to cook for yourself. You're not in prison or army boot camp, are you? It's just not right for a free man to not be able to cook himself a meal when he wants to.

You could make yourself a huge pot of rice and beans and get all the calories you need for the day and then some, for no more than a couple of euros.

I agree with those suggesting lower rep ranges. I'd also suggest doing top sets and much less volume. You also may have better results with shorter lifting sessions but more lifting days. Set/Rep ranges like 5x5 are absolutely brutal on a deficit.

Where is this host family Ethiopia?

Milk is actually quite expensive outside of the U.S., IIRC. Comparatively speaking, at least.

Back