Can't believe Josh Thomson will be champ

I've got Pettis by destruction. Pettis is getting better and better and he is still hungry for the win.

Just glad to see JT get his comeuppance. Fight with Gil was super close and stopping Diaz is a huge deal considering he just came off of a 5 round fight with the champ.

With Grant out, I see no one more worth than the Punk.

I think Josh has a very good shot at taking that belt. Lately Pettis has been...I don't want to say overrated because he is not but a little overhyped. That said I think Pettis defends that title.

So, I shouldn't compare Anderson's weakness with wrestling as proven by Weidman and Sonnen?

You guys both need to accept that Pettis's weakness is wrestling. If Josh gets ontop of Pettis frequently, it'll be a long night.

Don't be so black and white. I didn't even pick a winner. Relax. Breathe. Accept it.

No, we don't need to accept anything that's not the truth. It's not Pettis' weakness because of a whole one fight. He's fought several other wrestlers, and won against all of them. It's a weakness, relative to his other strengths I suppose, but that doesn't mean it's worse than average for this level and something Josh can exploit.

If we have to accept wrestling is Pettis' weakness, you should do the same with Thomson. Thomson got out-wrestled by Guida also, plus Kawajiri, JZ, Healy, and Melendez. It led to actual losses in 3 of those fights, and was 4 by media scoring. Pettis won the Stephens fight on wrestling. He has been successful on 77% of td's in Zuffa. Maybe if he decides to out-Guida "the better version of Guida" who got Guida'd by the real Guida even worse, he can be successful at doing so.

Tbh I think Thomson is too gutsy with his stand up. I could see Pettis punishing him for not having a more determined ground attack.

I hope you're correct TS.

Betting wise I think you're wrong though.

Barring injury, it should be a solid reign for Pettis. I don't see anyone as dynamic and hungry in the division.

this is a joke, right? this fight was like 10 years ago.

Yeah, joke sort of. Using TS logic " If guida can stifle Pettis, than Thomson (injury-free) can as well."

If Yves can land some random crazy kick so can Pettis (injury-free).

Thomson is p4p most underrated lw of all time. If guida can stifle Pettis, than Thomson (injury-free) can as well.

Thomson has great stand up (getting better) and really good wrestling and jiu jitsu.

I see him consistently taking pettis down and then eventually catching him in a scramble either with a good shot or a sub.

Pettis has a chance to submit him, but I don't this will be contested on the feet.

It's a very distinct possibility, in my book, this is a toss up, I give a "slight" edge to Pettis, but this fight is as close to 50/50 as I've seen in awhile.... really looking forward to it!!

Thomson's got a hell of a chance in this fight. Odds should be -100 for both guys. I have no clue who will win.

Thomson takes the belt
Melendez beats diego

we see thomson/melendez 4 for the title.

No, we don't need to accept anything that's not the truth. It's not Pettis' weakness because of a whole one fight. He's fought several other wrestlers, and won against all of them. It's a weakness, relative to his other strengths I suppose, but that doesn't mean it's worse than average for this level and something Josh can exploit.

If we have to accept wrestling is Pettis' weakness, you should do the same with Thomson. Thomson got out-wrestled by Guida also, plus Kawajiri, JZ, Healy, and Melendez. It led to actual losses in 3 of those fights, and was 4 by media scoring. Pettis won the Stephens fight on wrestling. He has been successful on 77% of td's in Zuffa. Maybe if he decides to out-Guida "the better version of Guida" who got Guida'd by the real Guida even worse, he can be successful at doing so.

The problem with your 2nd paragraph is that Pettis is not a wrestler. Good input though.

When Thompson was healthy he was one of the best kickboxer in MMA and had very explosive wrestling. When he came back and rematched Gil the first time he didn't have it back, that front kick and power just lacked, but as he's gone on he's built it back up all the way to what we saw against Nate.

People are going to doubt Thompson because Pettis is the soup of the day, everyone did the same to Henderson, he got one title win (which was a gift from the judges) and all of a sudden no one will ever beat him, then many of those posters jump on to Pettis who they now think can't be beaten. Pettis is good, damn good, but sherdogers and MMA writers would have you believe he's the greatest fighter ever and has the best stand up and BJJ, he doesn't, he's not even close.

Thomson has a real shot at winning. He looked amazing against Gil and should have won the rubber match. Bullshit gift decision to Gil in my opinion.

Josh got ignored for years because of frequent injury and MMA fans having the attention spans of fruit flies. When he's healthy he's dangerous. Doesn't mean Pettis is getting steamrolled, so I expect an excellent fight.

When Thompson was healthy he was one of the best kickboxer in MMA and had very explosive wrestling. When he came back and rematched Gil the first time he didn't have it back, that front kick and power just lacked, but as he's gone on he's built it back up all the way to what we saw against Nate.

People are going to doubt Thompson because Pettis is the soup of the day, everyone did the same to Henderson, he got one title win (which was a gift from the judges) and all of a sudden no one will ever beat him, then many of those posters jump on to Pettis who they now think can't be beaten. Pettis is good, damn good, but sherdogers and MMA writers would have you believe he's the greatest fighter ever and has the best stand up and BJJ, he doesn't, he's not even close.

The problem with your second paragraph is that Pettis does have some of the best striking in the division if not the best, and his grappling game is very dynamic with some of the fastest transitions at the higher levels of 155. Many people had him as the favorite before the Bendo fight and he would have finished him either way, armbar or not. What he showed me in that fight was that his hand speed and power are as dangerous as his kicks and if Thomson can't get him down and keep him there without getting subbed, Pettis is going to put a clinic on him standing. The reason Benson ate all those body kicks was because he didn't want to drop his hands. Every time he tried to shoot in, he was hit with a two or three punch combo. Thomson is more reckless than Bendo so I think he will take a lot of hard hits from the champ.

I don't think his wrestling is as effective as you seem to think it is.

Good post, people underestimate Thomson.

Champs have to defend their belts against any contender.

Why would Thompson be bad? If he's good enough to beat Pettis, than he's champ. If not, Pettis defends his title for the first time. How is this bad?

Thomson is p4p most underrated lw of all time. If guida can stifle Pettis, than Thomson (injury-free) can as well.

Thomson has great stand up (getting better) and really good wrestling and jiu jitsu.

I see him consistently taking pettis down and then eventually catching him in a scramble either with a good shot or a sub.

Pettis has a chance to submit him, but I don't this will be contested on the feet.

You fans and your damn visions...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back