Can't believe Josh Thomson will be champ

EIqdZ.gif

I use one of those things all the time. A must have for anyone who's had their nose bashed in.

I use one of those things all the time. A must have fo anyone who's had their nose bashed in.

For real, though I use a "sinus rinse" from neilmed as per an ENT at the u of iowa. basically, it is a neti pot on steroids, and it works much better.

Great fight for a Fox card. I mean it won't be huge among casual fans as Thompson is quite unknown. Good stylistic match-up tho & the chance of upset is right there.

After all: Pettis via 2nd round TKO.

Thomson's got a real shot for sure, but he is very inconsistent. Sometimes he looks close to being the best guy in the division and sometimes he fights like a fringe top guy at best. Pettis is also guilty of this too.

Enough with these stupid threads where people assume the champ is losing

Thompson wins this

A lot of people haven't seen Josh Thompson fight during his Strikeforce stint.

Counting him out against Pettis is foolish. Very foolish. He is a much better version of Guida. We all know what Guida did to Pettis.

Pettis has a real tough fight ahead of him with Josh. I don't know who to root for, I like both fighters.

Comparing the Guida fight with this fight is even more foolish. Thompson isn't just going to lay on Pettis and just defend subs like Guida did. If he gets on top he be trying to work his offense which gives Pettis more openings to work with. If anything I would say it might look like Pettis v Bendo 1 on the ground

A lot of people haven't seen Josh Thompson fight during his Strikeforce stint.

Counting him out against Pettis is foolish. Very foolish. He is a much better version of Guida. We all know what Guida did to Pettis.

Pettis has a real tough fight ahead of him with Josh. I don't know who to root for, I like both fighters.

And Ben is better than Guida... Pettis has vastly improved, accept it

Thomson is a real tough guy with a good skillset, so he can't be counted out against anyone in the division. He went 1-2 against Melendez in a series of really close fights, after all, so he's right up there at the top of the heap.

But... I'll still take Pettis by KO (head kick), round 2. I don't think Josh really poses a big threat to Pettis on the feet, because the dude has been doing TKD since he was 5... and I say that because you can't just erase experience, and the knowledge to control range, and an ability to read an opponent that comes from putting in those many hours of work. Josh's striking is much more "home-grown" in comparison. And while Thomson's dismantling of Nate was great to watch, it's not as if Showtime wouldn't do the exact same thing-- and maybe even with an earlier finish at that.

Thomson's ability to control Pettis on the ground and avoid getting subbed is what determines this fight imo.

Last edited:
I agree with the underrated part but I wouldn't write Pettis off that easily

pettis will work him with his striking

Back